I don't get it

cordney
cordney Posts: 73 Member
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
I may sound so stupid but I will ask anyway. I don't understand how replacing the calories you just burned off through exercise with food will help you lose weight. If you're just gonna eat more food wouldn't the calories consumed and calories burned just cancel each other out. Does someone know how to dummy this down for me?

Replies

• evie_wundt
    evie_wundt Posts: 33 Member
    Yeah. Me too. I don't get it.
    Thanks for asking.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Yes, you are replacing calories burned with calories eaten............However, this is only to go above the calories you need to lose weight.

If you need 1,000 calories to lose weight,
    and you eat those 1,000 calories for breakfast, lunch, and dinner,
    and you excercise burning say 300 calories,
    then you get to eat 300 more calories for the day, without it affecting your 1,000 calories.

It's like getting free food.

Some people only need to go down as far as 1200 calories a day, some people need to go down to 900 per day ( to lose weight).
  • AlmostHot
    AlmostHot Posts: 312 Member
    I agree with marm1962

Then people think why exercise?

You still want to exercise to increase your metabolism, especially weight bearing exercise, so you wont have to live on so few calories for the rest of your life, along with all the other health benefits you get from exercise.

Just thought I'd add on!:wink:
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    when you set up your goals in MFP, it deducts calories. For example, if youwant to lose a pound a week, it takes 500 calories per day off you allowed amount. 500 X 7 days equals 3500 calories or 1 lb.

Any calories yu burnwith exercise are above the allowed amount
  • ebkins7
    ebkins7 Posts: 427 Member
    This is also if you are trying to stay at the same weight! If you don't feel like you NEED the extra calories, don't eat them! Only you know your body! Just as long as you are eating an appropriate ammount of calories for your body, say 1200 for example, then you will loose weight as long as you are being active and working out! Everyone is different but most doctors and nutritionists don't recommend anything less that 1200. Anything lower than that and you are starving your body! Which in turn is counter productive... your body will hold onto fat rather than burning it! Talk with a doctor or dietician. They can really help you in terms of food and caloric intake! I hope this helps!!! Good luck with your goals!
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Plus you get to eat more! How is that bad???:laugh: :laugh:
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Plus you get to eat more! How is that bad???:laugh: :laugh:
  • I thought this through on the treadmill today and I don't get it either. Good question
  • oh, just read the posts....makes sense now...thanks
This discussion has been closed.