Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Too Many Calories?

Has anyone ever had an issue with the amount of calories MFP suggested for them? Granted, I have a lot of weight to lose, but I think the number MFP is way too high. Is there any way to change it?

Replies

• KPainter70
    KPainter70 Posts: 152
    What's your height, weight and age? How many calories did MFP recommend? A little more info would help us answer you!
  • jennismagic
    jennismagic Posts: 243 Member
    While I'd rather not broadcast my exact weight (lol) I'm 27, and stand at 5'7.5". Ballpark weight is a little north of 250 lbs.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Were you honest with MFP about your weight? How about your activity level?

Do you know your BMR and TDEE? If not, I would suggest getting those numbers - because you might be shocked to find out that you need more calories than you think you do.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,300 Member
    While I'd rather not broadcast my exact weight (lol) I'm 27, and stand at 5'7.5". Ballpark weight is a little north of 250 lbs.

You are very close to what I was when I started (though I was lighter). I was 29, 5'7", and 234. I set it up to lose 1lb a week which gave me 1700ish (if I remember correctly). I am now at 210 and eat 1650 to lose 1lb a week. I also eat back 50% of my exercise calories (I use MFP estimates which I know are high). I normally lose between 1-2 lbs a week.

How many is MFP telling you to eat?
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    The more weight you have to lose the higher your intake will be to begin with.
  • jennismagic
    jennismagic Posts: 243 Member
    I know it's been a minute since I posted this, but, I still don't understand why I need so many calories. I had surgery not too long after I started the thread, so I never got my answer, haha. But anyway, I'm still curious to find out why MFP and other weight loss sites estimate that I need around 2500 calories to lose weight. I don't eat that much, unless I'm cheating and binge on bad stuff. I lost weight with Jenny Craig several years ago, and my consultant put me on an 1,800 calorie plan. That's what I go by now. I try to stay around 1,550-1,650 calories a day, but will have 1,800 at most. If I were to start following the 2500 suggestion, I would gain weight instead of losing it. How do I reconcile this? Is it okay to stay under my losing weight calorie estimate?
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 633 Member
    Everyone has a BMR or Basal Metabolic Rate. This is the number of calories your body needs to function and be inactive-think digestion, blood flow and organ functions. Once you add in activity of any kind,you have to consume more to offset that activity. Now, if you eat below your BMR ( which for most women is 1500 cals per day) your body goes into starvation mode. Your body begins to store fat as fuel and burn lean muscle mass, this muscle mass comes from your heart, liver, lungs and brain. When your body exhausts those stores, it will then move onto the fat stores.

It is super important to eat enough, especially if you are exercising. Just to compare, I am 45, 5'4", weigh 145 and my BMR range is 1383-1643, based on exercising 3-5 days a week. I aim for 1440 most days, using my BMR instead of what MFP said, I don't eat back my exercise calories, unless I did something really strenous that I don't normally do.