How My Free Training Session Went

Options
My free training session @ 24 hour fitness went something like this....maybe you smarties can help me debunk some of the things he told me that I'm unsure about. Either way, if anyone's wondering what a free session is going to be like, maybe this will help. Bombs away....

One day last week, I walked into the gym and went up to one of the personal trainers who was sitting at a desk and asked if he had calipers to take body fat %. After reading lots of posts on MFP for the past few months, I knew these would be good numbers to have to help me in my goal to reduce body fat and gain muscle.

He took a few very basic measurements, then asked if I had ever had a training session before. I explained that I had, a year ago, when I first started, but I didn't feel like I got anything out of it - the girl seemed inexperienced, easily distracted, and didn't seem to know much more than I did as she took me through some very simple moves whilst socializing with other people around her. After that, she launched right into a high-priced sales pitch, at which point I completely wrote her off and went right back to my cardio session.

After I explained what my goals were - lose body fat, tone up, and most importantly, feel more comfortable on the free weights side of the gym - he offered me another free training session with the promise of focusing on these goals. I said OK - what did I have to lose?

So the day arrives. I show up early and go warm up on one of the stationary bikes, then he comes and gets me and takes me to his desk for 'Teh Questions'. This is the part where they tell you a bunch of stuff (some true, some not?) to scare you into thinking there is no way to figure out this weight loss thing without a trainer guiding you. Er, ...He wants to get an outline of my exercise and food habits.

"What kind of exercises are you doing at the gym, and how often are you working out?"

I'm working out at least 30 minutes a day, 5 times a week (more like 45 to an hour, but I'm going with the low number). I am mainly doing HIIT cardio - warm up, haul *kitten*, recover, haul *kitten*, recover, haul *kitten*, recover, switch machines. Then I'll do the row machine for 2000 meters, a few (albeit, random) sets on the weights machines, a few straight leg lifts on the captain's chair, a few assisted pullups, and call it a day.

"How high is your heart rate when you're doing your cardio?"

I don't necessarily trust the machines' readings, but my heart rate tends to get pretty high, up in the 180's.

"Okay, when you do all your cardio with that high of a heart rate, you're actually not burning fat"

You mean the heart rate zones, right?

... He went on to explain that you're really getting a cardiovascular workout but you're not really burning fat at this rate and you could possibly be burning muscle. "Have you ever seen a bulky marathon runner? You're burning calories, but not fat."

I didn't really know what to say to that, other than I thought heart rate zones were a myth, and the harder you work, the more calories you're burning both before and after. Also, that even if you aren't burning fat at the time because your body is just trying to 'keep you alive' because it's panicking, you're still going to burn more calories because of the afterburn effect of HIIT.

He agreed that there is an afterburn, but EVEN IN THAT AFTERBURN, you're still not burning fat. You're burning whatever your body has to use for energy.... which I guess is brain cells? Anyway, his solutions was to only do HIIT cardio twice a week, do steady-state cardio three times a week with my heart rate in the "fat burning zone" of 70%, and to incorporate more weight training.

That last part I agreed on. From what I've read, I've always felt like steady-state cardio was a waste of time when you could be doing HIIIT, increasing your aerobic ability, and burning more calories both during and after your workout. I'm not sure if that's true or not anymore... I guess I'm a little confused and don't want to put my chips in broscience on either side of the fence.

"So, what does your diet look like? Do you know how many calories you're eating?"

I'm using MyFitnessPal to count calories - 1400 a day. My protein macros are still low and usually come in under 100g. I am trying to find ways to boost that by cutting carbs in places and adding protein - not because I'm scared of carbs, but because I want my macros to be more balanced, with Protein at the top.

He agreed with that, but also added that I needed to:

A. Eat first thing when I wake up, otherwise I am not kickstarting my metabolism until I eat breakfast, usually at 8am.

B. Have more calories between lunch and dinner (right before my workout) (I agree with this). He suggested a protein shake mid-day, since I sometimes eat lunch at 2pm and eat dinner between 8pm-10pm (yeah, late dinners, I know. He surprisingly didn't harp on me for eating late).

C. He did mention that it was good that I had mostly lean meat and veggies for dinner, because carbs late at night don't get burned, and get stored as fat. (I thought this was a myth, too?)

D. He asked about my alcohol consumption. Ignoring the weekends, which are sometimes heavy on the spirits, I mentioned I drink MGD 64 beer some nights during the week. He said that he would rather me drink 3 or 4 beers one night and not drink the rest of the nights during the week because "The body is going to want to burn the alcohol first, and not burn any fat until that alcohol is gone". I kind of agree with that, but...? Isn't it all about calories?

So we took my measurements, which I'll actually post, just in case anyone is wondering which ones they actually take. A little embarrassing, but maybe it'll help someone, so don't judge -

Weight: 155
Skin Fold Measurement - Bicep: 16
Skin Fold Measurement - Tricep: 21
Skin Fold Measurement - Subscapular: 11
Skin Fold Measurement - Subraillac: 17
% Body Fat - 29
Body Weight x % Body Fat = Fat Mass - 45
Body Weight - Fat Mass = Lean Mass - 110
Neck - 12
Chest - 33
Biceps - right/left = 8 / 11 (I think he put the measuring tape at the top of my shoulder and measured where the "8"th inch was, around)
Forearm - 8.5
Waist - 31.5
Hip - 39
Upper Thigh - Right/Left 10 / 21 (put the tape up and down on my leg and measured at the "10" around)
Calf -14
Good numbers to have. I probably won't revisit these for a while, so I can see some improvement.

After all that mess, we hit the floor. He actually had very useful things to say to correct my form on the lateral pull and push machine - toes forward, knees over toes, hips straight, core tight, shoulders loose, head and neck straight. It made a big difference and I could feel the muscles working harder because I was not compensating with anything. He did notice my feet kept wanting to point out, and I had trouble remembering to tighten my core.

We did stability ball crunches and the plank after that. He reminded me to tuck my *kitten* in and keep my core tight. Just tucking the bum in made it ten times harder, but that's a good thing.

Lastly, he got me on the cable pull machine, and had me do an exercise I was extremely bad at - reverse lunge with row. Basically, hold the handle, reverse lunge with your arm straight, and as you come up, balance on one foot, row with your arm, and bring your knee up. Man, my balance sucks so much. But that's something I can work on now.

After all that, he said 3 sessions would be $129. He did not pressure me at all, knowing my past experience, and said whenever I had any questions, I could text him and he would help. And that if he didn't see me at the gym, he might just text me and remind me. Ha, yeah right.

He had been very nice and knowledgeable (even if some of it was broscience) the whole time, but for whatever reason, he ended on a sour note. We shook hands, all smiles, then he said, "Now get out of my face!"

Sure he was joking, but wow, talk about bad timing.

We'll see, I guess.

Replies

• Seanb_us
    Seanb_us Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    bump
  • melbot24
    melbot24 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    After I started doing HIIT cardio like you suggested, I told my trainer about it and he said that I should be careful not to raise my heart rate too high because then I'm actually doing more harm then good. Not sure if he's referring to burning muscle instead of fat but I didn't ask him to expand.

The experience I've had with my trainer is that he seems informed on little more than a basic level but I continue with him because he watches my form. I also feel more confident trying new machines and mixing up my strength training when he's there to guide me through.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    After I started doing HIIT cardio like you suggested, I told my trainer about it and he said that I should be careful not to raise my heart rate too high because then I'm actually doing more harm then good. Not sure if he's referring to burning muscle instead of fat but I didn't ask him to expand.

The experience I've had with my trainer is that he seems informed on little more than a basic level but I continue with him because he watches my form. I also feel more confident trying new machines and mixing up my strength training when he's there to guide me through.

If I did hire him, it would just be to help me correct my form and teach me a few new exercises (with corrected form). It's easy to look up an exercise and try to do it, but if you're not squeezing your butt on your plank, for example, you're only getting half the workout. Not to mention you're using other muscles to compensate, so there's possibility you could be doing more harm than good.

The GET OUT MAH FACE comment didn't help him, though. :P
  • artsyalice
    artsyalice Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have no advice, but the title made me laugh. My husband and I met at the gym. He was my free personal trainer. ;)
  • Seanb_us
    Seanb_us Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Much of what you were told seems reasonable.

I am not sure what HIIT is ... I could search or Google it I guess ... so I would be curious to know why it doesn't burn fat and what it does burn. I figure, if you work out and consume protein you protect your muscles?

Me? I like to think my approach is moderation. I don't starve myself, I moderate. I do a fair bit of cardio on the elliptical, actually maybe too much, but I mix in weight machines and freeweights and body-weight exercises. On the elliptical I go 45-60 minutes with a heart rate from 140-170ish.

Cheers,

Sean
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    All things being equal, it wasn't a bad session, given the facility.

The problem with a lot of trainers is that their knowledge of exercise science is like a rain puddle in a parking lot --it might be 20 feet wide, but it's only 1/2" deep.

Now I don't know this guy's background -- if he has a fitness degree, or just a "certification". The problem with shallow education is that, since you don't understand the "why" in depth, you are susceptible to believing a lot of cliches and "assumptions" just because they "sound logical" and it seems like everyone else agrees with them as well.

So while it sounds as though he actually gave you some good advice and instruction--both for cardio and strength--many of his "explanations" were either current "broscience" or just gibberish.

He also provided irrefutable evidence, once again, why most "trainers" are totally unqualified to give dietary advice.

1. Pretty much everything he said about "fat burning" is blah, blah, blah nonsense. It is still all about the calories. However, while his explanation was bogus, the advice to back off some of the HIIT and include more endurance training has some merit. Despite the HIIT worship that is the current fitness fad, there are benefits to endurance training--one being that endurance training can enhance your HIIT workouts.

2. Unfortunately, he chose to use the "marathon runner" cliche, which really screams "I don't know WTF I'm talking about", and the "cardio burns muscle", which is even worse.

3. I'm not going through his dietary advice point-by-point. I'll just use Vinny Gambini's famous opening statement: "Everything that guy just said is BS."

I am curious how tall you are, given a LBM of 110.

It sounds like his exercise form instructions were OK and that you actually got some value from what he said. Although it sounds like he was giving you "girlie" exercises--but maybe he was just looking at form on exercises you already do or else was responding to your goals.

It also sounds like he is a decent guy--I think his final statement may have been in response to you relating your previous bad experience with a trainer.
  • auroranflash
    Options

First off, I love your userpic. "I'm Not Luggage". You earn :heart: points for that.

Thanks for responding. I appreciate your input. I am 5'6 1/2.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

First off, I love your userpic. "I'm Not Luggage". You earn :heart: points for that.

I was just double checking your skinfold measurements. An LBM of 110 for your height suggests an average to slightly above average -- either frame size or amount of muscle mass (or both). It also suggests an "ideal" weight of 137-141 lbs (if we agree on 20%-22% as being an "ideal" body fat percentage).

Do those numbers match up with what you see in mirror? Your long-term goals? A previous weight that you were happy with and thought looked good?

That's how I usually double-check the accuracy of my body fat measurements. If all of those things I mentioned above match up, then you can be pretty confident in that 29% reading.
  • auroranflash
    Options

I was just double checking your skinfold measurements. An LBM of 110 for your height suggests an average to slightly above average -- either frame size or amount of muscle mass (or both). It also suggests an "ideal" weight of 137-141 lbs (if we agree on 20%-22% as being an "ideal" body fat percentage).

Do those numbers match up with what you see in mirror? Your long-term goals? A previous weight that you were happy with and thought looked good?

That's how I usually double-check the accuracy of my body fat measurements. If all of those things I mentioned above match up, then you can be pretty confident in that 29% reading.

Basically, I carry my extra jiggle in my stomach and thighs. My upper half looks lean and mean, and I'm developing definition in my arms. My calves are strong and with the 15 or so pounds I've dropped, I lost the fat at my ankles, so my legs are looking good. I just want to tighten up and lose the extra pudge on the belly and thighs, is all.

I weighed 135 when I was a 21/22, on my feet all day, and barely eating because I was a restaurant manager (Subway) and busy all day. I was "skinny" then, I looked good. But I wouldn't mind if I weighed more than 135 as long as I increased my lean muscle mass and dropped my body fat down a little.

I eventually want to build up to lifting heavy and being one of those girls completely unafraid of the weight room, and even have my own at home. It fits into my personality to always want to be better, faster, stronger. But right now I just want to look good in a bathing suit, haha :P
  • gmpearson
    gmpearson Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    interesting story - thanks for posting!

My 2 cents - and I am neither certified or degreed in fitness - I just run and workout a lot and have read a crap-load of books.

He didn't steer you completely wrong, and for the exercises, sounds like he has some good pointers. I don't agree on the fat burning zones, but I am a runner. As far as everything I know about HIIT and where I apply it, you will get your HR up to 180ish during the sprint/fast portion, but then it will come back down to 130-140 during your recovery. I do this all the time. Since you are spending 2-3 times longer on recovery, you are keeping your HR in a great spot. All in all, everything I have read and understand about HIIT is that it shocks the body and keeps on burning for 24-48 hours after the session. I would only do this about 2 times a week though, because it is quite demanding on the body.

Not sure on the nutrition. I am a big fan of "things in moderation" and I tend to focus on protein and nutrients. I run like crazy, but also lift heavy with low reps, so I want the protein to repair muscle and build strength.

Overall, it sounds like you got a fairly decent trainer given it is 24 hr fitness. My brother is a certified and degreed personal trainer that works at a corporate fitness center and conducts personal training on the side. I usually bounce everything off of him and so far I have been pretty successful. I have lost a total of 30 pounds over the course of a year (which was really just to lean up - went from 199 to 169, and I am 5'11"). I now have some muscle definition on the arms and chest, and still working on those "abs of steel". My running has improved immensely as a result of all of this, as I am now running about 25 miles per week. My 5K time went from 34:11 to 22:20 in a year.

Anyway, good luck with it. There are a LOT of free resources out there on fitness and nutrition. The tough part is digesting them all and sorting out what you want to do (no pun intended on the digest).

Greg
  • jolarocknrolla
    jolarocknrolla Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I had 2 training sessions at a 24-hour fitness in chicago. I was REALLY clear about wanting to use the free-weights and learning how to squat properly ... did they address any of that? hell no. I never went back after the second session. Now I'm working out at home and doing fine thanks. Why the hell would they ask about my goals and then do nothing to help me acheive them?

(and yes i'm doing cardio too, i don't need instruction for that since I can just use a machine or go running outside)
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I'm kinda funny on the whole Fat Burning zones. You don't see bulky marathon runner? No, but most look friggin anorexic with no muscle mass too. You don't see bulky olympic sprinters either do you and most sprinters have very good body composition.

What was the exercise where he had you toes pointed forward?

The whole lunge with a row exercise makes me crazy. Squats with a curl, anything like that is just crazy in my opinion. You can probably use more weight on a rowing movement than you will on a lunge movement so you're not getting the most benefit from the rowing exercise.

In my opinion most, not all, trainers at the local gyms are a joke. They go through an online certification program in like 8-weeks and get a certificate that says they're a trainer. At my gym in the last almost 2 years I've seen at least 8 trainers come and go. The ones that have been doing it for years that seem to have a steady and consistent client base are the ones you need to look for. In the meantime you'd probably get more from picking up a book like Starting Strength by Mark Rippletoe and watching his videos on YouTube than you will a trainer. At least the one you had.

Hopefully you told him to go **** himself after he said that last statement to you.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Personal Trainers are not registered dietitians, and it shows with this guy since he had a lot of broscience in there. Also the "fat burning zone" is BS.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I had 2 training sessions at a 24-hour fitness in chicago. I was REALLY clear about wanting to use the free-weights and learning how to squat properly ... did they address any of that? hell no. I never went back after the second session. Now I'm working out at home and doing fine thanks. Why the hell would they ask about my goals and then do nothing to help me acheive them?

(and yes i'm doing cardio too, i don't need instruction for that since I can just use a machine or go running outside)

After the first 10 minutes I would've walked to the manager and asked for my money back. They didn't provide the service they said they would, so they don't deserve payment.
  • jolarocknrolla
    jolarocknrolla Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Well the first session was "free" and the second one i sort of wanted to have a good attitude and give them a chance etc. But by the time i cooled off and started my walk to go home i started feeling unhappier and unhappier w/ my experience. I was REALLY clear before the session so i really don't think telling them again or trying with yet another trainer would have helped -they clearly have a cookie-cutter method of training and my goals weren't fitting. I also had the feeling that if i had been a guy i might have been treated differently.

Sometimes you just have to fold on a bad hand. Picking up some good free-weights form a Craigslist ad (w/ husband in tow of course) was a much better choice, luckily there are great videos online that can help you w/ form.
  • auroranflash
    Options
    Personal Trainers are not registered dietitians, and it shows with this guy since he had a lot of broscience in there. Also the "fat burning zone" is BS.

I thought so..... but thanks for the reminder! It made me question myself a little bit.
  • auroranflash
    Options
    Sometimes you just have to fold on a bad hand. Picking up some good free-weights form a Craigslist ad (w/ husband in tow of course) was a much better choice, luckily there are great videos online that can help you w/ form.

I plan on doing just that, with Craigslist, and boyfriend in tow of course. :)