rumor control

jpappas81
jpappas81 Posts: 1
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
Has anyone else heard this?

"The problem is that when you use a low calorie diet, your body adapts to it and lowers your metabolism to compensate. Very soon, you find you must stay at the 850 a day level, in order to simply maintain your weight". (Wikianswers.com)

Replies

• marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    I've heard things like that, but I don't believe that they are true.
    For one thing you need a certain amount of calories just to maintain your body, and then you move.
    So unless you plan on spending the rest of your life in a coma, I think we'll be fine.
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    That's why just dieting doesn't work. You have to get up and move.
  • RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Your body may resort to burning up muscle mass because it's being starved, but once someone ups their calories back to a normal range, the body will adapt and realize that it's getting fed again. :flowerforyou:
  • vickster82
    vickster82 Posts: 108
    dont listen to that! its all about math and science. if you know your stats (resting metabolism, BM, body fat percentage, etc) and do your math right, you will keep hitting your target. also, i highly recommend interval training. i like doing it on elliptical. so for 30 min, you alternate every two minutes, do 2 min of normal intensity, and 2 min of your max effort, where your'e barely breathing and your heart rate is through the roof! ok, thats a bit extreme, but really you should be working so hard you can't talk. so intevals actually helps your resting metabolism, so you burn more calories when youre just sitting on your *kitten* at work!:laugh:
This discussion has been closed.