Very Scared!! (first 5k)

Options

Replies

• OnMyWeigh464
    OnMyWeigh464 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I ran my first 5K in March 2007 and came in the bottom last 10...but you know what?? I FINISHED and that was what was most important to me!!! And now I'm just training to get my body (mainly knees and ankles) stronger to do another one to beat my first time (47 minutes)!!!

You can do it!!!
  • iampanda
    iampanda Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    It does not matter how slow you go as long as you do not stop.

Awesome! Yes! That sums it up perfectly! I am going to remember this for my 5k as well!
  • TooHott2Trott
    TooHott2Trott Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my first 5K tomorrow 4/7. I'm slightly neverous as well. But I figured I'm as prepared as I'm gonna get. My goal is to finish! I even have a little chant "I may not be the fastest, I may not be the strongest, but I am determined, and I WILL FINISH".....

Good Luck....and Happy Running!
  • niknak0508
    niknak0508 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    ok, its not my first 5k, its my first running the whole thing. I decided last min to do it. and I am very scared I will be the last one to cross the finish line, and that I won't be able to run the whole thing... my tummy is turning just thinking about it... I am scared I will be really slow, (which I am, I only run about 15 min mile avg) but I am scared I will be even slower than that... But I am gonna do it, and be proud...

Hi There!! I wanted to send some encouragement your way. I finsihed my very first 5K last weekend on 3/31/12. There were so many people there and I felt sick before we started. I do not RUN, but I JOG it and trust me, you will feel so empowered when you cross the line. My training and virtual 5K times have been 40m or more each time. I came in my REAL race at 30:57! I couldn't believe it. I even walked three times for 1minute each to get my HR down, because I got dizzy. BUT the most important part is I FINISHED!! And I am already looking forward to another virtual 5K run tomorrow and going to be signing up for another REAL race soon!! I caught the 5K bug :-)

Don't be scared about where you come in, you will have much adrenaline, you will pass people and they may pass you. Just stay focused on the prize! You WILL do this and you WILL do it with the VERY BEST of your abiilty!!

Good luck!!
  • ken1994
    ken1994 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    You will do fine! Good luck challenging yourself is so much fun.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    There will always be people slower than you are. Trust me. At every 5K I've been to, there are people with strollers in the back, who leisurely walk with friends, or people who can't run that just enjoy getting out and being with a crowd of people who are pushing themselves to do something cool. If you can run at all, now matter the speed, or walk in general, trust me, you won't be last.

Though if you do see those crazy dads who take off at 10mph with a double stroller (and there is always a least one of those crazy, awesome individuals), don't look at them, because you'll just feel really insignificant, haha.

Besides, it's not about beating people. Well, it doesn't have to be. For your own individual attempt, if you finish, you will always be a winner. So corny, but with any race, at least for me, that's how I've felt. There's a magic about just finishing, and beating your own mental state, that really makes you feel amazing.
  • NinjaMonkey201
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. I'm doing my 1st 5K on Mother's Day. And I'm super nervous. But reading everyone's responses is making me feel better. :-)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    The day before my very first race, I had Chinese food and my fortune cookie read, "Begin. The rest is easy." That's been my motto for all races. Just get there and get moving. It doesn't matter if you finish first or last, if you run the whole distance or walk the whole distance, or do a mix of both. The only thing that matters is that you start, and finish.
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Just think of how much faster you'll be than the gal lying around on her couch.... :smile:
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    ok, its not my first 5k, its my first running the whole thing. I decided last min to do it. and I am very scared I will be the last one to cross the finish line, and that I won't be able to run the whole thing... my tummy is turning just thinking about it... I am scared I will be really slow, (which I am, I only run about 15 min mile avg) but I am scared I will be even slower than that... But I am gonna do it, and be proud...

Who cares if you're last. You go and run, finish how you can. That's all that matters.
  • gmpearson
    gmpearson Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Great advice by all - just finish and don't worry about others.

If it helps though, at most of the 5Ks I run, the very last place times are usually 55+ minutes from the walkers. If you break this down, it is walking at almost a 20 minute mile, which is about a speed of "3" on a treadmill. If you can get on a treadmill and walk at a speed of "4", you will finish in a little over 45 minutes. If you run at a speed of "5", you will finish in 38-39 minutes or so. If you finish in 38-39 minutes, you will definitely be in the middle of the pack at most races.

Go out and run and enjoy it!!! As everyone else has said, at least you are out there doing a 5K! Runners are one big family - I really enjoy standing at the finish line and cheering people on. I love hearing the stories of how it is their first 5K and they are so thrilled with their run. Just pass it on - cheer on those behind you!!!

Greg
  • kelleygi
    kelleygi Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I know EXACTLY how you feel!! My first is April 28th and is an obstacle 5K!!! I believe i will be ok if A) I don't die B) if I am not dead last and C) if I could only come in before just one person younger than me!!! :wink: I have been doing couch to 5K and it is excellent!!! Good Luck!!! And wish for me some too!!!
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options

I just took out my crystal ball, and here is my prediction: Despite your fears, you will run a good race and come in in the middle of the pack. There will be lots of people in front of you. There will be a bunch of people behind you. You may or may not need to walk part of it. Don't stress so much about it - run as much of it as you can - it will be more than you have done in the past. You will notice that there are lots of other pople who are walking parts of it too, so if you do walk for a bit, you will not feel alone. But chances are, once the adrenaline kicks in, you'll be able to keep up with the running, as long as you don't try to go too fast. Finally, you will have such a good time, you will think back and say "What the heck was I ever scared about? And, when can I sign up for my next race so I can beat my time in this one?"

Just relax and have a great time! And be proud of yourself that you're out there running a race when 99% of the population is still home in bed :-)
  • dalygirl_2010
    Options
    Thank you very much everyone, still real nervous, as the time gets closer... but at least I know I am not alone!! you all RULE
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I don't recall the last race I did for which I wasn't nervous/scared. Just keep at it, run smart and you'll get to the finish line.
  • ChrisGoldn
    ChrisGoldn Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    You will be fine! I was that way with my first one but once I started running I loved it!

This.....

You will be nervous and jittery at the start.... everyone is!!! But once you get started... that will all go away.... Just focus on going at a nice pace. And if you get alittle tired just slow up some... You will be surprised how well u do at the end of it.... Remember the goal is to Finish... if that means Run it... Jog it... or walk it. You will be doing alot better than people who aren't even attempting it at all.

Good Luck... Cheering ya on!
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    It's natural to be nervous/scared before a race. I always am and then when I'm at the starting line waiting for the gun to go off I'm wicked jittery. It's a combination of scared/nervous/excited. You'll be fine!!

As for having to walk: Who cares? Lots of people have to stop and walk so you won't be alone. Since this is your first race just DO it. Don't worry about how long it takes or if you're the last person to cross the line which my guess is you won't be.

Good for you for signing up and doing it and good luck! You'll do awesome!
  • jennyjo79
    jennyjo79 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Relax, have fun, and enjoy the experience and accomplishment. And remember, you will not be last. The people sitting at home and not doing anything are all way behind you!

Love this --- particularly the last part. That is so true!

Something good for all of us to remember, I think! :)

I started out with my first 3K a couple years ago. A friend talked me into trying it and honestly, I didn't do much to get ready for it. Everyone is right, though ... when race day comes, there's so much excitement that it will definitely inspire you to keep 'digging deep.' You'll see the people in front of you and think, I can catch him/her ... then you'll get there, see the next person and think the same thing ... and it really keeps you going. In the end of my first 3K I totally surprised myself and ended up placing in the top 3 for my age group --- and I admit, I even walked a bit in between.
    Best of all, though, is the feeling you get at the end that YOU DID IT!

Best of luck and HAVE FUN! I'm sure you'll do fabulous!
  • Fit4Evolution
    Fit4Evolution Posts: 375 Member
    Options

dont worry i was the last to cross one time.. the only reason is that i walked with someone at a slow pace because they was hurt and it took over 1.5 hrs i think maybe more.. doesnt matter the beer and burgers after got me in a good mood! unless you crawl you will not be last
  • Fit4Evolution
    Fit4Evolution Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    and hey its not like everyone gets to say hey i was last! like me.. LOL I got that person to the finish line with me..