Need some ideas please....

Options
Cindym82
Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
Ok, I had my impacted wisdom teeth taken out on wednesday and I obviously can't chew anything for almost a week. I'm running out of ideas on what to eat and I need some good "recipes". I'm dieing for veggies and not sure how to get them in my diet right now. Any advise would be lovely. Thanks everyone!!! :)

Replies

• crystallayne
    crystallayne Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    How about mashed cauliflower, so yummy just like mashed potatoes. Or some really finely diced tomatoes, onions and peppers in scrabbled eggs? Sweet potatoes or yams?
  • kindra3434
    kindra3434 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    MMMMM home made black bean soup. Hearty and filling!! When the soup is done take 2 cups of soup and blend....add back in to make the soup creamy. So yum
  • Cindym82
    Options
    I tried salsa on the eggs and it bothered it yesterday. So wasn't sure if I can blend them or something. Was thinking making making mashed potatoes out of sweet potatoes
  • Cindym82
    Options
    MMMMM home made black bean soup. Hearty and filling!! When the soup is done take 2 cups of soup and blend....add back in to make the soup creamy. So yum

do you have a recipe for this?
  • Audddua
    Audddua Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I tried salsa on the eggs and it bothered it yesterday. So wasn't sure if I can blend them or something. Was thinking making making mashed potatoes out of sweet potatoes

This is my FAVORITE way to have mashed sweet potatoes:
    Cut the sweet potatoes in big roughly even sized chunks and steam them (skin on is fine it comes off really easily once cooked). Mash (it's hard to get them through a ricer but it's worth it - otherwise hand mashing will probably suffice) and add a dab of butter (you really don't need much) and some real maple syrup and cayenne pepper. Spicy sweet and very satisfying.
  • leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I second the mashed cauliflower. Get frozen and nuke (or fresh and nuke in water), then mash with a potato masher. You can then add anything you want - some of my faves are greek yogurt or light sour cream with roasted garlic and chives, or crumbled bacon with light cheese and scallions (maybe avoid the bacon with the tooth holes), or light coconut milk with some curry - sooo many possibilities!

How about poached eggs? Those are good too. We also make a great butternut soup. Get frozen and nuke (or fresh, peel, cut and nuke), mix with vegetable stock, and blend in the blender. We actually add the softened pieces to veggie stock in a stock pot and use an immersion blender. You can add carrots if you like. We've started making ours spicy with some cayenne, but you can do the reverse and go sweet with cinnamon.
  • looplooploop
    Options

do you have a recipe for this?

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/09/black-bean-soup.html
  • enchantedbunny
    Options
    When I had my wisdom teeth removed, I made a huge pot of chicken soup and drank the broth for most of the week.

Rough estimates/recipe:

- 3-4 chicken thighs (I love the flavor of dark meat, but you could use chicken breasts on the bone as well)
    - 6 cups of water
    - Mirepoix (chopped carrots, celery, onion)
    - 2-3 cloves garlic, chopped
    - Dried herbs: bay leaves, oregano, basil
    - Salt and pepper to taste

I like to sprinkle garlic salt and black pepper over the chicken and let it sit for a bit first. In your soup pot, saute the garlic and onions for a few minutes. Add the chicken to brown the skin a bit. Add the carrots and celery and top it all with the water. Add the herbs and let simmer for about 45 minutes (probably an hour if using chicken breasts). Season to taste. Voila - homemade chicken soup, no excessive sodium, and lots of goodness from the veggies goes into the broth. You could modify to your taste (kale and other dark leafy greens would yield some of the good vitamins). Also I find if I let it simmer a bit longer, the carrots get mushy and I can manage to eat them as well.

Hope that helps!
  • srussell1108
    srussell1108 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    You can cook up some carrots, just dice them small like bite size and cook them until they are tender, also the little small sweet peas would be a good choice. I know this may sound weird, but in the baby food isle Gerber table food for toddlers has carrots, peas, potatos, and corn that is really soft and tender since they are just getting their teeth. I hope you start feeling better :happy:
  • looplooploop
    Options
    I also made this last night, it would be perfect for you! And soooo tasty!

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/02/skinny-yet-creamy-carrot-ginger-soup.html
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    pepper soup

6 red/orange/yellow peppers
    either 6 fresh tomatoes or a tin of tomatoes
    1 red onion
    1 small red chilli (optional)

1 tsp tabasco
    1 tbsp worcestershire sauce (lea & perrins)

ham stock

I just boil everything in the stock then blend. you can add a dollop of sour cream as well. :)
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    homemade lentil soup would be good too so you get some protein.
  • Cindym82
    Options
    you guys are awesome :) thank you for the good recipes