Running out of food, no money until 6/5/09 :(

Options
Okay, right now...this is the food I have between my husband and I for 3 days. 5 jars of spaghetti sauce, 1 roll of Whole Wheat Ritz crackers, about 3 servings of generic puffed wheat cereal, a very small amount of vanilla soy milk, pickle slices, tea bags, coffee, and 1 toritilla.

I obviously won't be eating very healthy until Friday, so what's your take on exercising right now, with so little calories and nutrition? I aim for at least 4 days a week and at least 400 calories a session, and refuse to do any less. So by the time I get to eat again, am i going to puff up?

We always run out of the healthy, nutritious food first and have to starve for a few days. Anyone have any tips? I have a food budget of about $120, and don't have a choice but to stick within that range right now.

Replies

• Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Thats a rough thing to go through but you gotta work with what you have right?
    Is the $120 weekly? bi weekly? monthly?
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Is that food budget per week or per month? I buy a lot of stuff on sale. For instance, boneless skinless chicken is on sale this week for $1.79 a pound. I'll buy a couple of pounds at a time and freeze them. And I use coupons for staples like pasta, marinades, etc. My market doubles so I often get a lot of these items for free.

Can you go buy a pack of spaghetti for a buck to go with the sauce?
  • missheidi
    missheidi Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    do you have angel food in your area? it's not food stamps or anything, but you pay about 30.00 at the first of the month, and then at the end of the month you go pick up a BIG box of food, way more than
    30$ worth. I know it doesn't help now, but we use it a lot and really like it. it's just a way to help keep grocery bills down. the website is www.angelfoodministries.com.
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    Dry Beans. They are cheap. You usually can find someone who will give them away. Most churches have food pantries and you can call and ask do they have supplies.

I shop at Aldi for frozen chicken, tuna, frozen veggies and strawberries. They usu are cheaper than Walmart.
  • Phera
    Phera Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Do you have a friend with a Costco membership? When times were really tough, I'd go for a graze of the food samples they give out. It's not the healthiest but it helps soothe the stomach pangs. Also if you get some cash I'd really suggest buying a rice-cooker. Rice is a very cheap staple and with some beans you can get your carbs and some protein.
  • Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Grrr.... there's this AMAZING website that shows you what to by in bulk, to prepare large amounts of food in bulk, so you can freeze leftovers to last days. The website is organized, I thnk, based on how much money you can spend. Like, soups, sauces, etc.

If I remember it, I'll tell you!!!
  • nickelplatedangel
    Options
    If you have a Grocery Outlet store in your town, shop there. They are super cheap and awesome.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Okay, right now...this is the food I have between my husband and I for 3 days. 5 jars of spaghetti sauce, 1 roll of Whole Wheat Ritz crackers, about 3 servings of generic puffed wheat cereal, a very small amount of vanilla soy milk, pickle slices, tea bags, coffee, and 1 toritilla.

I obviously won't be eating very healthy until Friday, so what's your take on exercising right now, with so little calories and nutrition? I aim for at least 4 days a week and at least 400 calories a session, and refuse to do any less. So by the time I get to eat again, am i going to puff up?

We always run out of the healthy, nutritious food first and have to starve for a few days. Anyone have any tips? I have a food budget of about $120, and don't have a choice but to stick within that range right now.

Credit Card.
    Pay it off Friday.
  • NurseMisty
    NurseMisty Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Okay, I can't help wih the answer your looking for, but check out this site. It has some great info. This link takes you to a $45 emergency menu for 4 to 6...even has nutrition info. I love this site!

http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/40dollarmenu.htm
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I would say come to my place for dinner this week......but you live in WA.......Hang in there. I know the feeling, My honey and I were starving for a while when I started before his new job.....also someone here (can't remember who) sent me to this site....check it out....there are alot of recipes that you can make from scratch for cheap......you can substitute some of the ingredients for better for you stuff.....hillbillywife.com

Hang tough!
  • kmworth
    kmworth Posts: 8
    Options
    Sorry you guys, it's bi-weekly, and I'm also a vegetarian, lol.

I'm very frugal, it's just that my hubby's got a huuuuge appetite, and I can't deprive him! Plus all of our money is gone within 3 days of being paid because of bills and such, so once we run out of stuff, we're out!
  • kmworth
    Options
    Haha, about that credit card thing...it's maxed until Friday. We seriously cannot afford an overdraft! :(
  • jlhcrh3
    jlhcrh3 Posts: 314
    Options
    ramen noodles, nix the packet of flavor! SUPER cheap, and you could mix in spaghetti sauce or something...

(i say nix the flavor packet because it is nothing but sodium!)
  • msujdak
    msujdak Posts: 141
    Options
    How about fresh zucchini and spaghetti squash in place of noodles. Healthy carbs.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    If that's all you really have, then you won't be eating unhealthy either. You won't be hardly eating. I would suggest that you take your excercise way down for a couple of days. If your not willing to do that or get some food elsewhere as these kind folks have suggested, then there's not really much else we can tell you.
  • berkeleygirlforever
    Options
    Girl, I live on the tightest budget imaginable so here's my thoughts on your question. This will cost you about $10.00 assuming you don't have the items needed.

DAY ONE:

Breakfast
    Eggs and Dry Toast

Lunch
    Egg Salad on bread

Dinner
    Spaghetti

DAY TWO:

Breakfast
    Eggs & Dry Toast

Lunch
    Tuna Sald with pickles on tortilla shell

Dinner
    Left over spaghetti

DAY THREE:

Breakfast
    Hard boiled eggs

Lunch
    Left over tuna or egg salad

Dinner
    Left over spaghetti again

(Grocery List)
    Dozen Eggs $2.00
    Loaf of Bread 2.00
    Generic Mayonnaise 2.00
    Spaghetti Noodles 2.00
    2 cans tuna 2.00

220459.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    Options

I would cut the exercise a little bit but I wouldn't worry too much about the "puffing up," I believe it takes 3 days for your body to begin to enter starvation mode. Also, if you have some flour, oil, and baking powder (I don't know what type of staples you have), you can make tortillas. It may not be the healthiest but it's food. here is a link to the recipe:
    http://www.mex-recipes.com/tortilla-recipe.html

Best of luck!
  • kmworth
    Options
    Girl, I live on the tightest budget imaginable so here's my thoughts on your question. This will cost you about $10.00 assuming you don't have the items needed.

DAY ONE:

Breakfast
    Eggs and Dry Toast

Lunch
    Egg Salad on bread

Dinner
    Spaghetti

DAY TWO:

Breakfast
    Eggs & Dry Toast

Lunch
    Tuna Sald with pickles on tortilla shell

Dinner
    Left over spaghetti

DAY THREE:

Breakfast
    Hard boiled eggs

Lunch
    Left over tuna or egg salad

Dinner
    Left over spaghetti again

(Grocery List)
    Dozen Eggs $2.00
    Loaf of Bread 2.00
    Generic Mayonnaise 2.00
    Spaghetti Noodles 2.00
    2 cans tuna 2.00

220459.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter

Thank you, but I'm a vegetarian. And I don't have any money right now, and don't have any of the items you have listed :(
  • Tofuheart
    Tofuheart Posts: 191 Member
    Options

I'm also a vegetarian on a very tight food budget. I get by on 85 dollars a month. (just me)

I would cut back the exercise until you have the money to get stocked up on food. The items you listed have very little protein.

Eat your cereal with cold water. I do this sometimes and it doesn't bother me. Drink the soy milk in the morning because it has the most protein of all.

I would drink lots of water and tea, make crackers with pickles on it. Cut the tortilla into slices and bake it in the oven and warm up some sauce and dip it.

It's amazing how creative you can get when you have to. :smile: Good luck..
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    My hubby's vegan and we are tight on money too. We found that buying beans and rice really goes the farthest. When the grocery has frozen veggies on sale for a buck a bag, we buy multiples.

The beans and rice are the true staple in the house. Go to an Asian market to buy the rice, it's cheaper there than at the usual grocery stores. Hubby has a huge appetite and still gets full on less than 10 bucks a week. Having a few spices on hand really helps that too. They can be pricey at the start, but you can go pretty far with just the dollar spice rack.

I would call some churches in your area to get some food for the next few days. If they give you stuff you can't eat, let them know so they can keep it and give it to families who need it too.