BMR, TDEE, LBM calculations-clarification?

Options
AmyLRed
AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
Hello, i am hoping that some of you who are really knowledgeable with all of this can help me out. I get the basics, but I really want to be sure that i am eating to properly fuel my body and still lose weight.

I am 32 years old and 5'1". Current weight is 149-150lbs and according to my fitness trainer this past week, i am at 32.something% body fat. So, if my calculations are correct, that puts me at about 48lbs of fat and 102 pounds of muscle (LBM). (am i right?) In December, after losing my first 13 lbs, my LBM was 112 and 70lbs fat, or 38%.

Ok, so I am trying to calculate my BMR and my TDEE, and this website has been recommended on this website before. http://www.cordianet.com/calculator.htm

Depending on which activity level I choose, i of course get very different numbers. I currently workout 3x a week, usually for 1 hour fitness classes but i occasionally double up on one of those days. Other than that, i have a desk job. My workouts a re a mix of cardio and strength training, and last night was a double workout, so 45 minutes of strength and 60 min cardio kickboxing, for example. That being said, i dont know if i should be choosing "lightly active, exercise 1-3x per week" or "moderately active, exercise 3-5x per week"

For lightly active, my BMR is 1369, TDEE is 1882 and it said to eat 1382 for weight loss.
For moderately active, BMR 1369, TDEE 2122, eat 1622 cals for weight loss.

I started out as a 1200 calorie consumer with MFP's recommendations and upped it to 1400 about a month ago and had good results. (broke my plateau). I am currently slightly stalling out (its been only 2 weeks at current weight) so i am wondering which calculation to go by, and if those of you who really know your stuff would recommend that i eat 1600 or stay closer to the 1400. I want to lose another 20-30lbs and continue to maintain or increase muscle as much as possible. I try to always hit 100g of protein per day.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance for anyone who can offer some guidance!

Replies

• MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I don't personally care for including activity in my TDEE because what if I get sick and can't exercise or have an off week or whatever... I'd rather know what it is for sedentary (yours would be 1643) and use that as a baseline knowing that I eat back my exercise calories anyway.

Would recommend sticking with at least 1400 but try harder to NET 1400. I checked your last week of food diaries and see that you have a few days where you net more like 1200. You've also had some high sodium days which can really throw off your weight loss. Maybe there are other factors like increased activity (causes weight gain) increased stress, not enough sleep?

It's not ALL about calories in vs calories out..mostly, but not all.
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Thanks Nayshel! Yes, this week my calories are low. Partially it was my discourage at not losing, and partially that i really am not feeling well this week. Prior to that i was netting 1300-1400 pretty regularly. I just started to track my sodium as i hadn't been paying attention to it at all until the last week or so.