Vitamins and supplements question

Options
embclark
embclark Posts: 186 Member
So my father in law takes soon many vitamins and the man looks like 20 years younger then his younger brother and each time I go to visit I watch him take down the boxes and wonder if I should be doing that too!

He has those boxes that we all kept our beads in growing up to make jewelry... With all the compartments. He has two of them full and labeled. I've never asked what he takes, but plan to soon!

So my question is, what do you take?

I take 2 prescriptions: birth control and armour thyroid for a hypothyroid problem

Then I take mega multi mineral capsules, triple fiber capsules, vitamin E gelcap, st.john wort for unbalanced mood swings lately, green tea and now vsl#3 due to IBS type problems.

I am planing to buy some vitamin D as well, I hear it is good for the colon and with my celiac's I think it will be beneficial.

What do you take and who told you to take it?

Replies

• rllewell
    rllewell Posts: 234
    Options
    I take Juice Plus+, it is a whole food not a vitamin or supplement. Nobody really told me to take it because we didn't know anybody else taking it at the time. We were doing research 12 years ago and found JP+ that is all.

When talking about vitamins and supplements I simply ask where is the independent 3rd party clinical research studies published in peer reviewed journals on the product as a whole? So do very thorough research.

Over 4000 clinical studies show that eating the daily recommended amount of raw fruits and vegetables will lower the risk of chronic illness (cancer, heart disease, diabetes etc...) and deliver the vitamins and minerals your body needs daily. Medical science reminds us every day that good nutrition and good health go hand in hand. The problem is that most of us don’t eat nearly enough fruits and vegetables, especially not a wide variety every day. We find fruits and vegetables too inconvenient and too expensive and most fail to get the recommended 9 to 13 servings every day.

In my own research I asked these questions: Does it deliver key antioxidants and other phytonutrients that are absorbed by the body? Does it reduce oxidative stress? Does it support a healthy immune system? Does it help protect DNA? Does it positively impacts several key indicators of cardiovascular wellness?

I hope that helps.
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Everything I take was approved or added to my list by my doc but for now I take:
    Vitamin D
    Vitamin C
    Biotin
    B Complex
    Iron
    Calcium/magnesium/zinc
    Flax Oil
  • Bikini_Bound150
    Bikini_Bound150 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I take a prenatal vitamin and I'm not pregnant. I take it because I love what it does to my skin, nails and hair. Also because I have heard that it will help prepare my uterus to have babies. Lots of benefits and the iron is really great too.

Thinking of taking a St John's Wart for mood swings as well. Has it helped you?
  • embclark
    embclark Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I take a prenatal vitamin and I'm not pregnant. I take it because I love what it does to my skin, nails and hair. Also because I have heard that it will help prepare my uterus to have babies. Lots of benefits and the iron is really great too.

Thinking of taking a St John's Wart for mood swings as well. Has it helped you?

I'm not sure. I have Aiken it on and off for years. I am a big believer that if you want it to work it will. So I take it when I feel like crying for no reason at all and that has been a lot lately. I don't know if my hormones are off with my thyroid/celiacs or what. But I do feel better since trying it again!
  • maieranne77
    maieranne77 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I drink a green smoothie every morning and take 1/2 dose of shaklee vita-lea multivitamin. I also take a vitamin D3 supplement as well.
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Calcium and D3!