Walking

Options
Hi, I see alot of people hesitating to start a weight loss program because its hard for them to exercise. The only thing I do for cardio is walk. I started out just walking around the block a few times and worked myself up to 3.5 miles a day. I know for most people thats not a workout. This can work for alot of people though, if you're hesitating because you think it won't help, it definately helped me. I feel better, my blood work is normal and my blood pressure is good now. I do lift for 10 minutes 3 days a week, I should do more of that. What i'm trying to say is just start, figure it out as you go. Don't let other people tell you its not worth it if you're just going to walk. Walking can lead to other things and you have to start somewhere. GOOD LUCK

Replies

• anitasongs
    anitasongs Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Thanks I can only do 10 -15 min a day but I hope to do more. I have done 1500 steps, but usually only doing 800 steps..
    Gosh would love to do 15,000 steps a day..:)
  • dg09
    dg09 Posts: 754
    Options
    Yep, there's nothing wrong with just walking.
  • mccarol1956
    mccarol1956 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I could not agree more! I have gotten great results by walking. I up my speed and distance frequently and am now walking about 30 miles a week, I average close to 4 mph. I only walk 3-4 days a week. I have gotten my blood pressure under control and am now off blood pressure medications, feel great every day if I do walk! I now find if I don't walk I feel like crap. Walk away, everyone needs to start somewhere and walking is a great way to start.
  • Glassgal01
    Glassgal01 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I Like to walk for exercise, enjoy the beautiful outdoors and get fresh air at the same time plus my 2 corgies get to walk also.
  • Weaz66
    Weaz66 Posts: 1,846 Member
    Options
    A few years ago I began walking and used the food pyramid eating guidelines. I lost 74 lbs. When I first began walking it seemed like such a boring chore. I lost my breath just walking to the mailbox and back (live on 1.5 acres slanted downhill). A group of friends decided to walk daily, so I joined them. I was embarrassed that I couldn't keep up with their pace and received aches/pains in my calves. I decided it was better for me to walk alone. I found a park that was flat land and a nice walking trail that was measured. Each day I walked, when the mood striked I'd walk as quick as I could for as long as I could then back off, I kept repeating that pattern over and over (keeping my heartrate up for 20 min intervals). Eventually I was walking 5 miles at about 4 mph and doing it 3 x day because I got to the point I really enjoyed it and saw I was losing weight and inches. At the time I was 5'6 and weighed 264lbs. Unfortunately over the course of 3 years following I left myself go back to my old lifestyle....an addiction to Pepsi and no walking. Guess what came back.....60 lbs. So last week I began my new journey, I learned my lesson...I need to go back to following guidelines and walking!!!!!! Don't let anyone tell you its a wimpy way or that it doesn't work. We all have different bodies and each one of our bodies require something different. Good luck to everyone on their journey and feel free to add me as a friend........together we can make a difference!
  • geri1geraldinesuzanne
    geri1geraldinesuzanne Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    i ususally just walk too!
  • mistym1967
    Options
    I have started a walking program with a co-worker and we are walking at least 3 days a week but usually more. We have been right around the 3 mile mark too and use I May My Fitness with the GPS and it is awesome. I have already noticed a difference in my body changing and it is a great stress reliever after work. I did the same thing 18 years ago after the birth of my daughter. I started walking early in the morning. Started slow around the block and then increased it every few weeks and the weight just came off. I'm hoping for the same thing this time around.
  • mistym1967
    Options
    What an inspiring story. Thank you for sharing.
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! I started out walking when it took me over 30 minutes to go a mile. Now I occasionally run a 12-minute mile. Still, walking is my favorite and I usually do an 8-10 mile walk around down on Saturday or Sunday mornings when things are peaceful and quiet. Very enjoyable. It is a good exercise so Keep On Walking!!!
  • SophinMaine
    SophinMaine Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Never underestimate the power of walking! It's GREAT exercise, it costs NOTHING, and you can do it anywhere!
    Last Christmas, I spent time with my aging parents and ate and ate lots of good food, did no "exercise" whatsoever for 3 weeks, but I was walking their dog every day for about 40 mn, on hilly terrain. And I lost weight!
    I try to choose hilly routes to walk, because it's better for cardio and for variety. I love walking and hiking.
  • runner3292
    Options
    Wow, reading your post was like telling my identical story. Lost my husband a few years back, got really depressed and ballooned up to 173 lbs. Then one day when I had to stop at the top of my stairs to catch my breath, it dawned on me your going down hill in a hurry. Didnt know about this site or any other, just started walking. It killed me to walk a mile, I was slow and couldnt breathe. The more I walked the faster I got, saw the pounds come off and realized this is how you do it. 1 mile, then 2, then 3 and so on until I got up to 9 & 10 miles, some days. Over the course of 4 months I dropped 50 lbs. Like you, over time I gained it back being stupid. January 1st, I started with WW @173, (I like this site better), I've lost 24 lbs so far, and still have 25 to go, but I have never missed a day of walking. Have you ever noticed, you can tell who walks or runs. They have that certain air of confidence, a glide to their step, and they carry themselves differently, not to mention a toned lower body. No one will ever convince me that walking isnt the fountain of youth.

Good luck to all of us, and congrats., on doing something about it. We're all winners, because we're here!
  • ChanlynMay
    ChanlynMay Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Lots of people have told me that I have to join a gym and work out 60 minutes a day,, blah blah blah.. For me, that is overwhleming ang not something I can commit to long term. I have tried that route before and couldn't stick to it. This time, I am walking. I park as far from the doors at stores as I can, I take the stairs instead of elavators and I go for a walk on my lunch. It may not be much right now but day by day I find I can go a bit further and faster. I am making the changes slowly and things that I can stick with for the rest of my life. We each need to find what works best in our lives and not listen to what others say is the best way to do it.
  • Bukopie474
    Options
    Nothing wrong with walking. I started my weight lost by walking during in the morning before work, breaks and lunch. 2 years later and 50 lbs lighter, I'm still walking but I added more like family weekend hiking, biking, P90x, and Insanity workout. Low carb diet, more veggies and fruits, more wheat less white stuff and eat fish 2x a week. When I'm walking, it's my quiet time and my me time. It's my time not to think about problems and also I can think about solutions during my walks.
    It's basically fun for me and for my family.

Add me if you like.

PS: I started with my co-workers and friends of 100 push ups a day. No judgement. I tried to encourage others to move and have a mini goal everyday. Try it and life is too short not to try something new:)