Pin Up Girls

Options

Replies

• yepitsjen
    yepitsjen Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I do the hair and makeup- mostly the make up for my day to day look (you absolutely have to get used to false eyelashes).

The hair is the hardest part. I have medium length hair but can get some good curls going using bobby pins and hair glue when I have to. Second and third to everyone who said that there are youtube lessons. You just have to practice and be patient!
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I dabble a bit. Youtube has some great videos on how to apply makeup and do your hair. :)

I haven't found a place to find clothing that's reasonably priced though... If anyone has a site for that, please let me know!
  • brittigno
    brittigno Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I love pinup/rockabilly style. <3

I wear the makeup style almost every day, but I can never get the hair right. And my regular clothing style is jeans and tees or hoodies, but once I lose some more weight and get some confidence to wear dresses, I want some vintage looking dresses. ~goals~
  • tig_ol_bitties
    tig_ol_bitties Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I dabble a bit. Youtube has some great videos on how to apply makeup and do your hair. :)

I haven't found a place to find clothing that's reasonably priced though... If anyone has a site for that, please let me know!

www.pinupgirlclothing.com has really great clothing at really good prices!

Also, http://www.bettiepageclothing.com/
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I am totally into pinup. I have gifted myself a pinup shoot for my 30th, hence the reason I'm losing weight. I try to incorporate a vintage feel into my wardrobe and love bright red lips when going out. My bedroom is very pinup-y as well. It suits my personality and body type to a tee :)
  • Ericacea
    Ericacea Posts: 45
    Options
    I love Pin-Up! I want to be better at styling myself as such...
  • Sumo813
    Sumo813 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Ok, I've kind of taken a liking to pin up type style. Does anyone here dabble in this? I just think 50's-ish pin up stuff looks great, especially the make up and sometimes the hair. I have no idea how to apply make up, though, let alone this! Is it hard to do? And do you wear it like that often or is it more for going out? PIctures are most welcome :)

Examples:
    img_91724_pin-up-girl-makeup-hair.jpg
    make-up-pin-up-pin-up-Favim.com-116545_large.jpg

this style is so hot! i love the rockabilly pin up girl look!

I completely concur!
  • melbot24
    melbot24 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    So hot.
    I try it out sometimes but I can never get that flawless doll look quite right.

My best attempt:
    7637015_5273.jpg
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    You can learn the hair and makeup on youtube!!!! Just search for pinup hair or makeup and you'll find tons!!!!!! Personally, I like to pull off a pinup inspired makeup regularly for work - nice porcelain skin, light blush, just a bit of a defined eye crease, little bit of black liner, and a reddish-toned gloss... it looks like a modern take on the pinup!

I've done some silly pics of practice hair and makeup - bad lighting, but it was totally on the fly:

(I found a decent work makeup!)

[img]http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy109/lovesdenvergirl/self portraits/Picture016.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy109/lovesdenvergirl/self portraits/DSC02064.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy109/lovesdenvergirl/self portraits/DSC02070.jpg[/img]
  • infamousmk
    Options
    ANNNNND of course they're huge. I'm resizing now. Sorry, folks.
  • farmboyphotography
    farmboyphotography Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I'd never do a pin-up shoot. My legs are just not right for that genre of photography. :wink: However, our photography group is doing a pin-up shoot in May with vintage aircraft and military hardware. I am sure it will be a blast! I would prefer working with pin-up models to photographing T&A for the sake of skin. Just not my style. I think that implied is so much more attractive in photography. But that's just me.

By the way... on Lightroom, Cold Tone in moderation makes for that flawless doll look, IMHO.
  • teeley
    teeley Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I have tried for days, months, years to pull off a victory roll in my hair....and just can't do it!!! My arms get sore trying! My best attempt is a crappy little curl and my bandana....
  • Beeteezie
    Beeteezie Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I love pin up girls and I love doing my hair and makeup this way... since I'm Afro-American I totally stand out!!!
  • gracie2586
    gracie2586 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    When i finally get to my goal weight i was going to celebrate by getting some professional pin up shots done, some photagraphers will do your hair, make up, provide you with the clothes and take you through step by step posing. I found a cute one in chicago that will do it all for about $350
  • infamousmk
    Options
    I have tried for days, months, years to pull off a victory roll in my hair....and just can't do it!!! My arms get sore trying! My best attempt is a crappy little curl and my bandana....

Do you put your hair in rollers first? I've found that if I put my hair in rollers and get a good curl set, the rolls come together much easier.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Love pin-up girls. I go to car shows in the summer and enjoy the ladies dress up just as much as the cars.

P.S. This thread needs more pics. : )
  • jennytree
    jennytree Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I <3 this style! I have a fringe that can be styled pinup. Before that, I ALWAYS rocked the pomp! I also love thick cat eyeliner and red lips, I even wore it out last night. I like it cos it's rock an' roll, but still very feminine.

I also love, what I call fat-*kitten* skirts - knee-length, and tight (the proper name has escaped me) :smile:
  • stablesong
    stablesong Posts: 224
    Options
    I love pinup/rockabilly style. <3

I wear the makeup style almost every day, but I can never get the hair right.

I feel you! My hair has a lot of natural curl but I can never get the big rockabilly bumps/curls. I do love the makeup though, typical cat-eyes and bright lipstick. I don't wear much on my lips most of the time though because I am lazy. Cherry Dollface has a great everyday pin-up makeup tutorial on her youtube, thecherrydollface, as well as some great more dramatic looks.

I actually found a really cute blouse today at Walmart (for only $12) that I needed for an FBLA competition next week. It has a really cute, kind of everyday pin-up/retro feel, so if you're looking for affordable retro-inspired clothing, don't be afraid to look in unexpected places.
    downsized0406121403.jpg
    Paired with a black pencil skirt for a dressed-up, pinup look.
  • missoularocks
    missoularocks Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    <3 I'm a fan of this style for going to shows and special nights out. We even have a Pin-Up support group going. <3
  • melbot24
    melbot24 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I'd never do a pin-up shoot. My legs are just not right for that genre of photography. :wink: However, our photography group is doing a pin-up shoot in May with vintage aircraft and military hardware. I am sure it will be a blast! I would prefer working with pin-up models to photographing T&A for the sake of skin. Just not my style. I think that implied is so much more attractive in photography. But that's just me.

By the way... on Lightroom, Cold Tone in moderation makes for that flawless doll look, IMHO.

Thanks for the tip!
    Vintage aircraft and military hardware + sexy curves? What a great juxtaposition.
    I love traditionally masculine aesthetics with a feminine twist.