How would you log this? Or would you?

Options
I have people coming for passover seder. I cooked for 4 hrs last night and did not log it. Got up this morning and have been cooking since 8am. It's 2pm now and I am completely beat. I still have to make a few things. But those will be closer to eating time. I have to clean some more still. Anyway, normally, I don't log cooking. But this is a marathon of cooking. I've made 2 pots of soup, turkey/matzoh patties, eggplant caviar, pulled beef, matzoh balls are almost ready, salad needs to be assembled... you get my point. And clean clean clean, wash wash wash.

So, would you log it, and if so, how? Cause I will need the calories for dinner. I know cooking is an activity on here, but it seems insane to log 6 hrs of cooking. Even 3 seems over the top. Did I really burn all that?

Replies

• jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I've seen people log cooking, did you check the database?
  • radosti1
    radosti1 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Yeah, but to log 6 hrs of what's listed as cooking on here would show something close to or over 1000 cals. Seems insane.
  • Hollybot
    Hollybot Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I think you answered your own question. If you think it is insane, then don't log it!
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I have a BodyMedia Fit that tracks my activity and metabolism throughout the day. Last Sunday morning, I spent 162 minutes in the kitchen doing food prep, cooking and dishes. In that time, I burned 623 calories. If I'd been sitting on the couch relaxing with a book, I would have only burned 178 calories.

So... in short - it's DEFINITELY worth logging. Cooking/food prep is actually an option in the MFP exercise database.
  • radosti1
    Options
    Right, but I am tired and sweaty, so I definitely burned some calories. It's insane to log 1000 cals. But what would be closer to the truth.
  • lizblizz28
    lizblizz28 Posts: 166
    Options
    You could split your total time cooking into a few hours of cooking and a few hours of walking at a moderately slow pace. This would account for you being on your feet all that time and walking around to get what you need.
  • radosti1
    Options
    I have a BodyMedia Fit that tracks my activity and metabolism throughout the day. Last Sunday morning, I spent 162 minutes in the kitchen doing food prep, cooking and dishes. In that time, I burned 623 calories. If I'd been sitting on the couch relaxing with a book, I would have only burned 178 calories.

So... in short - it's DEFINITELY worth logging. Cooking/food prep is actually an option in the MFP exercise database.

Wow, really? Then maybe it's not insane. I should have put my HRM on. But I didn't. Blah.
  • deeannhill
    deeannhill Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    IF the activity is significantly more than what you normally do in the same stretch of time, the log it. However, in this case, I think the question of "eating back exercise calories" is insignificant. Enjoy your Passover Feast!
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I would log something. How much time would you say you actually did spend cooking? From your descriptions I'd easily give you 500 calories.
  • doyledozo
    doyledozo Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    If I can burn 1000 calories taking an hour and a half walk (HRM) I dont see any reason why you can't burn that in 6 hours bustin *kitten* in a hot kitchen. Whenever I need to log something like that I claim about 3/4 of the actual time. That's just me though.
  • kittzle
    kittzle Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    When I do cooking or cleaning (or the walking part of shopping), I usually log half the time I did. So if I cooked for 2 hours, I just log 1 hour. Makes the calories burned seem a little more realistic to me.

As for shopping, I usually log walking at the slowest speed. Why? Because they say you burn 100 calories/hour just by standing up.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't log it.
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Split the difference, log half, and just watch what you eat tonight. Have a wonderful seder!
  • LatinaGordita
    LatinaGordita Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I personally would not log it, unless I was wearing a heart rate monitor. MFP over estimates. If I were in your shoes, I would enjoy easter dinner in moderation, and just log my cals even if I am over. If you put the 1000 cals MFP estimates you might go way over your actual cals, if you do not add them it will keep you making moderate choices for dinner.
  • doyledozo
    doyledozo Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    When I do cooking or cleaning (or the walking part of shopping), I usually log half the time I did. So if I cooked for 2 hours, I just log 1 hour. Makes the calories burned seem a little more realistic to me.

As for shopping, I usually log walking at the slowest speed. Why? Because they say you burn 100 calories/hour just by standing up.

^^^^ This...but she said it better :)
  • Microfiber_wechange
    Options
    Thank you. I've just logged my 1 hour of cleaning today which I wouldn't have done if I hadn't read this thread ;)
  • MdmAcolyte
    MdmAcolyte Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    If 6 hours of cooking is equal to 1,000 calories, that breaks down to about 160 calories and hour. I dont think that is unfeasible to log per hour. You do that sitting around and typing and such... Id log it since its not an "everyday" activity.
  • ThatCindyGirl
    Options
    Most people don't realize the physical effects of cooking but growing up in the kitchen I can tell you...it may sound insane but its a great way to burn way...just like fishing lol 6 hours of cooking? Think about it. You are on your feet, moving around the kitchen, constantly using your arms to stir, chop and gather stuff...and the heat that you build up in the kitchen tends to break a good sweat. 6 hours. Think again...1000 calories in 6 hours is not that insane. I say you should log it. If you feel you didn't burn that much tweak it. The only way to really know a more accurate total is to use something like a fit bit/calorie counter/HRM.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't. I don't think daily activities or chores should be logged, but to each his own.
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Compare it so an exersize that you do more often. Better to log less calories burned especially if your plan is to eat them.