Flax seed

Options
emily115
emily115 Posts: 78 Member
If you dont grind your flax seeds, do they still have the same nutritional benefits?

Replies

• Chameleone
    Chameleone Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I recently heard that they were better ground, because if you don't they can kind of just pass through your system whole. But I still think they are very beneficial either way.
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    What nutritional benefit specifically?
  • RosieWest8
    RosieWest8 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    No, they don’t retain the same benefits. Flax seeds are very small and have a very hard hull. You can’t really digest them, so in order to benefit from them you really do need to grind them up.
    I have a $12 basic coffee grinder that I use.
  • Chameleone
    Chameleone Posts: 281 Member
    Options

Off the top of my head I know they are a good source of fibre and magnesium, and can help lower bad cholesterol.
    I usually eat them in my oatmeal, and end up chewing some of them anyway. But they say to get the "full effect" its best to ground them
  • JustineMarie21
    JustineMarie21 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    You grind them for the same reason you smash garlic with your knife before cutting... to release the oils.
    I go to the bulk-burn and buy ground flaxseed for around $1 .
  • ck1416
    ck1416 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I soak my flax seeds in water over night and add them to shakes, etc. in the blender (along with the water they soaked in).
  • Glucocorticoid
    Options

Off the top of my head I know they are a good source of fibre and magnesium, and can help lower bad cholesterol.
    I usually eat them in my oatmeal, and end up chewing some of them anyway. But they say to get the "full effect" its best to ground them

If you want the "full effect", increase protein and fiber intake. The latter should come from vegetables.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    The nutritional benefit of ground falx seed is Omega 3 fatty acids. They also provide some fiber.
  • philco41
    philco41 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    A lot of good advice here. Grind them (coffee grinder works great) and get the full benefit of fiber and omega-3's. Grind a small amount at a time and refrigerate. The whole seeds will keep well without refrigeration.
  • Glucocorticoid
    Options
    I would recommend you drop the flax seed and replace it with fish oil.
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    I would recommend you drop the white meat and replace it by greek yogurt.
    After that, drop the rice and replace it by oatmeals.

Just because there are omegas in flax seeds and fish oil mean you can replace one by one another :)
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    I buy the ground flax seed and put it in my oatmeal and my greek yogurt. It has fiber, protien, omega 3's and it tastes good. I like the nutty flavor it adds. I store it in the freezer so it stays fresh. It does have oils in it that will go rancid pretty quickly if stored improperly. You should grind it and use it right away or store it in the fridge or freezer. You should also add it to your oatmeal or anything hot after it is cooked. You don't want to heat up the oils while cooking the oatmeal.

Enjoy.
  • Glucocorticoid
    Options

Just because there are omegas in flax seeds and fish oil mean you can replace one by one another :)

Flax oil will not give you nearly the same level of benefits as fish oil. The body does not convert ALA to EPA/DHA to any significant degree. Flaxseed is not a replacement for fish oil.
  • caramelbaloney
    Options
    Flax oil will not give you nearly the same level of benefits as fish oil. The body does not convert ALA to EPA/DHA to any significant degree. Flaxseed is not a replacement for fish oil.

Sadly, this is true. There are some vegetarian EPA/DHA supplements for those who do not want fish oil, but flax seeds only contain ALA. Still, there are apparent health benefits to consuming ALA, but flax seeds must be ground or soaked before consumption.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Totaly agree. Flaxseed is fine as an adjunct but not as your primary supplement of Omega 3. There are multiple sources but a fish oil or krill oil suplement is a great one. So is increasing your consumption of cold water fish like salmon and cod.