RUNNERS!!! How far do you drive....

Options
Just curious how far some of you drive to hit that favorite running trail or endless road. After all, for the vast majority of us, the best routes don't start from our front door, and even if it did, it would get boring pretty darn quick.

So how far do YOU drive for a good run?

Me? Most of my favorite trails or dirt roads are less than 30 minutes away, but I'm always open to new places.

Replies

• picassoadagio
    picassoadagio Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    6 miles for most, have driven as far as 40 miles for something different.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    The perk of living in a more rural area and having a wildlife biologist for a boyfriend is that there are plenty of BLM trails for the exploring within 30mins to an hour outside town, and I can just ask him where the best are and how exactly to get there, haha. And there are miles and miles of them, in backwoods areas, all places where no one except BLM workers and hunters go, since you have to actually look on the BLM's website to find the maps for them. I love it. I try and go out that way a few times a month, hopefully more now that summer is around the corner.
  • El_Rapido
    El_Rapido Posts: 136
    Options
    At least 5 miles to get to my favourite off road routes, or to the next town for the best woodland and lakeside trails. My running club, which has a strong trail and fell contingent is based in the next town. Driving is essential for the type of running I crave!

Road running destroys the soul :)
  • El_Rapido
    Options
    Whats BLM?
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    I don't but should do as I'm starting to grow bored of my usual routes

I love visiting my parents and running in the countryside where you can't hear a thing
  • johnnymac999
    johnnymac999 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    For trails - Houston is a bit lacking - so I will drive 45-50 minutes. The ultras require travel most of the time.....
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Whats BLM?

Bureau of Land Management. It's a US govt that owns and moderates state land, but allows access to the public. (As I understand it).
  • El_Rapido
    Options
    Whats BLM?

Bureau of Land Management. It's a US govt that owns and moderates state land, but allows access to the public. (As I understand it).

Ah, ok. Thanks.
  • ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    The perk of living in a more rural area and having a wildlife biologist for a boyfriend is that there are plenty of BLM trails for the exploring within 30mins to an hour outside town, and I can just ask him where the best are and how exactly to get there, haha.

I understand this! I live in the city but have an environmental educator boyfriend that knows all the local and not-so-local spots to get off the pavement and into the swamp/woods/mountains.

That said, I don't generally go further than 15 mins or so. But occasionally we will run for some geocaches and then i'm fine with driving up to an hourish.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Whats BLM?

Basically. The Bureau of Land Management manages public lands, in terms of range conservation, and wildlife surveys. All the land that is BLM or Forest Service (though oddly those two organizations belong to different departments in the government, even though they do most of the same stuff..) is land that the public has free access to, unless it's deemed dangerous. There are also certain areas that are closed to access for certain things, like ATV's, cars, or horses, depending on the area. It's a bigger organization in the West, since the East coast and midwest don't have too much open land that isn't claimed already.

If you're looking for trails or camping areas, definitely check and see if the BLM manages anything for the state in the area, because they have detailed topographical maps that are free to the public that tell you exactly how to get there. Definitely an awesome way to enjoy the land around. :)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I do most of my running by going out the front door (we have recreational paths very close to the house) , we also have a large park about 20 minutes away from the house (trails, hills, bike paths, several lakes)
  • zoeluiisa
    zoeluiisa Posts: 392
    Options
    The perk of living in a more rural area and having a wildlife biologist for a boyfriend is that there are plenty of BLM trails for the exploring within 30mins to an hour outside town, and I can just ask him where the best are and how exactly to get there, haha.

I understand this! I live in the city but have an environmental educator boyfriend that knows all the local and not-so-local spots to get off the pavement and into the swamp/woods/mountains.

That said, I don't generally go further than 15 mins or so. But occasionally we will run for some geocaches and then i'm fine with driving up to an hourish.

What are geocaches?
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    I'm lucky in that one really nice trail is five minutes away. I've driven up to an hour though.
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    About 15 minutes!
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options

What are geocaches?

Visit this site, it'll tell you all about them. www.geocaching.com
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I live in a lovely village, surrounded by nice rolling countryside. There are lots of available runs just outside my door.

For me going for a run is a 'quick workout', because I don't have to get in the car and drive anywhere much.

I'm really very lucky. :-)
  • danibabs
    danibabs Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Ha I was just complaining about how I can't wait to be faster and run longer so I can run better routes. I live in the outer city so there's plenty of just fine places to run, but the cool places, like along the river, are juuuuussst far enough to be too far for a decent loop.
  • Faeriegirl74
    Faeriegirl74 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I don't. I'm lucky enough to be a runner and live where the majority of all Dallas area runners take their runs - White Rock Lake....the lake trail that circles the lake (9.3 miles is a full loop) is 200 yards from my door :)
  • Ironman2be
    Ironman2be Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    6 miles for most, have driven as far as 40 miles for something different.

Something different huh? i take it you're not talking chili cheese fries here....
  • nwhitley
    nwhitley Posts: 619
    Options
    10 mins. to the nearest state park. I usually run the 6 mile bike trail and will often run another 2-3 miles of it and walk the remainder of it for my long run.