Entering Exercise daily - QUESTION

I do 30 minutes of cardio at my lcoal gym (track, bike, treadmill, etc.) and then I go through several sets on the exercise/stregth training machines.

how on earth do I enter the machine use on MFP? Do I need to enter each machine separately (which is nearly impossible)? Or am I just out of luck on getting a more realistic calorie burning count for my daily workouts?

Replies

• rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    The cardio section has an entry called "Strength Training". You can you that for the weight lifting portion. I have found it pretty accurate when compared with my HRM.
  • Brandongood
    Brandongood Posts: 311 Member
    you can enter each machine seperately. the exercise database should have em. just go to exercise > cardiovascular > then search for the exercise you did. Then you can input the amount of time you spent doing the exercise. One word of caution, MFP tends to over estimate the cals burnt. I always subtract about 30% from it when I figure it in.
  • Nastasha915
    Nastasha915 Posts: 124 Member
    You can enter the machine on the Track Exercise page. They don't have a lot of the machines that I use, but they ask you sets, repetition, and weight. The problem is that it doesn't track/add those calories to your exercise goal. Maybe I missed something, but I just use it to track how much weight I'm lifting and how I'm progressing.

**Read everyone elses post and apparently there is a way to get it to add those calories. Will have to look this up.
  • Brandongood
    Brandongood Posts: 311 Member
    The cardio section has an entry called "Strength Training". You can you that for the weight lifting portion. I have found it pretty accurate when compared with my HRM.

I think I misread your question. This pretty much covers it.
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Also once you add the machines once they will stay on your recent for frequent page so you can just click all the check boxes and update any weights or reps pretty easily.
  • smith4304
    smith4304 Posts: 9 Member
    Get a HR monitor and then just punch in the whole workouts cals burned. It's way more accurate then MFP anyways!
  • stephenatl09
    stephenatl09 Posts: 186 Member
    You really should do the strength training before cardio. So your muscles can use the glycogen to rebuid instead of burning it in cardio but there is a "strength training" under the exercise then cardiovascular tab then exercises which will give you calories for the machines etc.
  • Thank you all! I guess I was just trying to find an easier way than having to add every machine I use separately.
  • loragp
    loragp Posts: 19 Member
    If I were you, I would purchase a heart rate monitor to track calories burned. This will be much more accurate than the calculations that MFP can give you. After you complete your workout, go the Strength option under the Exercise tab and enter in ## minutes of strength training and ### calories burned.

I can't imagine trying to keep track of every exercise I've done at the gym and then spending more time entering each one into MFP individually. Phew!

Keep up the hard work!
  • I'd never thought about using a HR monitor! Great idea. Really - do the strength training BEFORE cardio? That's opposite of what every one at my gym does - and what the trainers told us to do upon joining. My problem is that I HATE cardio and LOVE strength training so I'd get finished with the machines and go home! :)
  • Yes2HealthyAriel
    Yes2HealthyAriel Posts: 453 Member
    try going to this website to find out correct calorie burn. http://whatscookingamerica.net/Information/CalorieBurnChart.htm

After doing that you can go to the part on myfitness pal where you add an exercise and how many calories it burns.