Is your HRM going batty.. Heres how to fix it!

Options
dad106
dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
So for the past week or so my HRM has not been working correctly. It would pick up fine, but then as soon as I started to exercise it would shoot up to like 200 and just stay frozen there.. it wouldn't move or do anything. So I washed the strap figuring that was the issue and it was still happening. Got the strap really wet, made sure it was tight enough.. and it still happened. Since the unit is only 3 months old, I figured it can't be the transmitter battery or watch just yet... it had to be strap.. and low and behold I was correct!

After talking to my old trainer, he told me to soak my strap in a combination of baking soda/water. Then wash it like normal. Did this trick this morning, and my HRM strap now works like a charm. The reason why is there was a lot of salt deposits in the strap, and it was preventing it from working correctly.

So the moral of my story is, next time your HRM is messing up, try soaking it in baking soda/water, then wash it and see what happens. It should work just like new after that.

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    my transmitter has recently been going saying 40 then freezing, then 200 then freezing, then 00. it really sucks when you're in a zone, want to take a quick look at your heart rate and see your HRM is logging it as 40 BPM :laugh:

i'm going to give your suggestion a try before trying for a new battery