green tomatoes?

AlmostHot
AlmostHot Posts: 312 Member
edited September 19 in Chit-Chat
I'm from australia, and here we dont eat green tomatoes. Are they green because they are unripe? yuck! or are they green because they are a different sort of tomato?you know like different colour capsicums(bell peppers)?

Replies

• Tofuheart
    Tofuheart Posts: 191 Member
    Where did you see these tomatoes? Typically green tomatoes are not ripe here. However there's some varieties of Heirloom tomatoes that are green and yellow. They are quite delicious and not available alll the time.

I grow a variety of red tomatoes, I also grow some small yellow roma ones. Great for salads.
  • Simplicity
    Simplicity Posts: 383 Member
    my mum grows yellow and red ones but the red ones start out green and ripen i think
    sometimes orange too all taste the same to me:smile:
  • Katy009
    Katy009 Posts: 579 Member
    There are tomatoes that are "green tomatoes" and yes, they are ripe. They might be all green or have a slight tinge of red to them. They are actually really good. I use them a lot on salads because they are really firm and not mushy :)
  • AlmostHot
    Thanks everyone, I have always wondered.
  • mnichol
    mnichol Posts: 642
    The "green tomato" term refers to a recipe, where you slice the immature tomato, bread them and then pan fry them. I believe its an old southern recipe.
  • Tofuheart
    Tofuheart Posts: 191 Member
    Yes, fried green tomatoes. I personally find them disgusting. I don't eat fried food though, so maybe that's partly why.
  • AlmostHot
    ok, thats where I first heard the term green tomato, from the movie green fried tomato, but then when i was adding my food and typed in tomato it got me thinking. Thanks, my other questions is, is jelly as in jelly and peanut butter sandwiches like jam as in a conserve? our jelly is a geletine dessert
This discussion has been closed.