How much do you spend on food per week?

Options
124»

Replies

• JodieElijah
    JodieElijah Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I meal plan every fortnight so only ever buy exactly what we need to last us the fortnight. For my son and I, I generally spend around the $250 mark.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I am intentionally ignorant of the amount I spend at whole foods.

I just don't wanna know.
  • nyssa1231
    nyssa1231 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    We spend about 25 euros a week on groceries for just the two of us. That includes fresh fruit and veggies, milk, cheese, olives, and bread. We live in Barcelona, and our markets are amazing. Once a month, I go to the local supermarket to get pasta, rice, and other assorted things (like cereal, yogurt, canned tuna, etc.) that we need for the month. I usually spend about 25-30 euros there. We also have two silly pugs. I spend about 30 euros a month for their food. So, on average, we spend about 40 euros a week for food.
  • love2cycle
    love2cycle Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    For a family of 5, my budget is $725.00, but everything at the store has gotten so high priced, it is not easy to stay in that budget.
  • mahutch1
    mahutch1 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    We budget $300 every two weeks for groceries/toiletries/cleaning supplies. We also budget $100 for eating out on Sundays after church and $50 for my husband to eat breakfast at work each day (it's cheaper than me making it at home) and to eat lunch once a week. That's a total of $900. And yes, it is more than my rent.

We do buy in bulk. We have a chest freezer so we can buy meat and frozen veggies, etc... Invested in a Foodsaver. We eat a lot of leftovers and if we happen to eat out unplanned, it comes out of the grocery fund. When I make things like spaghetti sauce or sloppy joes, I make extra and then freeze it for another meal.

Everything is going up. I've added $250.00 to food/eating out since the beginning of the year.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    I spend MAX $150 a month for 2 on groceries and that includes about $30-40 worth of Diet Pepsi (his vice not mine) when it's on sale, most months is $120.

I'm a super DEALHNTR and no, I do not run around town following flyers, I pick pick up a few items 1x a week at No Frills and Walmart which both price match so they are time savers.
  • donnantx
    donnantx Posts: 76
    Options
    I dont even want to know what I spend on groceries.....prices are just crazy anyway!!! I do purchase most of my fresh produce from www.bountifulbaskets.com..it is a produce co-op that is available in some states/areas...we get a lot of produce for the $$ and the produce is really fresh..btw..we eat more produce now too. Check it out and see if there is distribution in your area. When I leave Wyoming and go back to Texas I am going to MISS Bountiful Baskets
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Hmm...so Sunday I spent 30...today I spent 55 and Friday I'll likely spend another 30-40...so in 1 week that's 115 minimum...this is with me showing restraint. So... in a month that's $460 at the grocery store and ~$40 minimum online..so $500 total while TRYING to cut back! ...again, just 1 person.
  • nekoemi
    nekoemi Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Hmm...so Sunday I spent 30...today I spent 55 and Friday I'll likely spend another 30-40...so in 1 week that's 115 minimum...this is with me showing restraint. So... in a month that's $460 at the grocery store and ~$40 minimum online..so $500 total while TRYING to cut back! ...again, just 1 person.
    I feel your pain. I have trouble staying under $500 for just myself. Fresh meat, fresh produce, protein powder, supplements... it all adds up very quickly.
  • runningfromzombies
    runningfromzombies Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I've cut it down to $100-$200 per month for just me. The fact that I really only drink water, skim milk, and coffee definitely helps; I also shop around for deals, getting my fruits and veggies and fresher stuff like eggs and butter at Safeway but buying stuff like Jennie-O Ground Turkey, oatmeal, and Greek yogurt at Target, where it's a lot cheaper. (Seriously, in my area Safeway carries that ground turkey for $7.99...but Target has it for $4.99. What the heck.)
  • thomassd1969
    thomassd1969 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    My fiancee and I have 3 sometimes 5 children between us (he gets them every other weekend) and I spend about 250 a week on groceries/cleaning supplies/pet food/ etc. Its crazy anymore. We do not buy soda, junk food, much processed food anymore. A splurge to my kids is picking what sugar free kool aid they want. Im about ready to move to the country and plant a garder, buy a cow, and raise chickens.
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I've never broken out things like dog food, cleaning supplies and paper products, but I spend $800-$1000 a month at grocery stores, including Sam's Club and Costco.