Knee Pain advice

sazroy
sazroy Posts: 262 Member
I have a bad knee from wearing awful shoes in a job where I stood all day. (Only earnt $150 a week, shoes were cheap and dodgey and used to limp to my car from the pain). So anyway, I have a bad knee now. When I cycle or walk for a long distance, but especially cycling on my stationary bike my knee gets stiff and sore and even though my cardivascular health is able to "keep going" my knee unfortunately cannot. The pain is sometimes behind the kneecap but when on the bike it feels more like the muscle directly above my knee right between my knee and thigh.

I was wondering if there are any stretches I can do before hand to alleviate this pain?

Replies

• sazroy
    Bump
  • sazroy
    Bump
  • cjaharmon
    cjaharmon Posts: 46 Member
    I have knee pain in my right leg from trauma experienced as a teen. The trainer I meet with every six weeks or so has me doing Leg Extensions with extremely low weight (I started at 10 lbs, then 20, now 25 lbs over a six week period). He has me doing this to build up the muscles around my knee to help me be able to support my knee more. He had me back off all other weight training activities related to the knee (no curls, squats or anything like that). Now at 6 weeks of building my knees back up I can start adding more leg work in. i have noticed a HUGE HUGE HUGE difference. I couldn't climb stairs without my knees killing me and now I can just walk up with no pain.
  • dusty8907
    dusty8907 Posts: 350 Member
    Try a Knee brace or wrap, it will keep pressure on the knee during excercise and should relieve te pain.
  • sazroy
    I have knee pain in my right leg from trauma experienced as a teen. The trainer I meet with every six weeks or so has me doing Leg Extensions with extremely low weight (I started at 10 lbs, then 20, now 25 lbs over a six week period). He has me doing this to build up the muscles around my knee to help me be able to support my knee more. He had me back off all other weight training activities related to the knee (no curls, squats or anything like that). Now at 6 weeks of building my knees back up I can start adding more leg work in. i have noticed a HUGE HUGE HUGE difference. I couldn't climb stairs without my knees killing me and now I can just walk up with no pain.

That's fantastic news! I'm happy for you! Gives me hope as well, considering mine is just damage from wearing crappy shoes so mine would most likely be a muscle trauma/weakness. I cancelled my gym membership as it cost too much and found myself doing exercise at home or outside more than I ever went to the gym, but I'll save up or do a rent-to-buy thing on a weight machine that works legs as this sounds like a great way to resolve a frustrating problem, thanks!
  • sazroy
    Try a Knee brace or wrap, it will keep pressure on the knee during excercise and should relieve te pain.

I'm pretty certain I have a knee brace/wrap floating aroun somewhere, I shall hunt it down. In the meantime I brought out my stepper so I'm going to do about an hour of alternating between the bike and steps with dumbells. I find when I get off the bike and stretch the knee by walking it alleviates the pain/tightness almost immediately so if I combine the two I should still get a decent workout. Thank you!
  • azzacca
    azzacca Posts: 126 Member
    You could also check out http://www.kttape.com/ . I've been using it for shin splints and I know someone else who uses it for her wrist a lot. It really does help. They have videos on their site for how to tape (taping patterns, etc). The Pro is more expensive, but it stays on a week, even while swimming.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    I, too have knee issues, and would recommend a lot of strengthening for the muscles around the knee, because part of the problem could be that you're overtaxing the muscles and ligaments in he knee, and they don't have the support they need from the bigger guns.