Eliptical or treadmill

Options
I had just bought an eliptical because i have a treadmill and only do that. So i was just wondering what people like better? And which machine you feel you get a better workout with.

Replies

• Grandysl
    Grandysl Posts: 189
    Options
    Bowflex treadclimber. Best of both worlds and burns more calories in less time!
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    I have both. I like elliptical better :)
  • frosty73
    frosty73 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    The best one is the one you like to use. I love the elliptical, and I can read while working out. I cannot read while working on the treadmill.
  • heavenlyhazel
    heavenlyhazel Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Just checked out the Bowflex...yikes on the price...but it looks cool!!!
  • mogriff1
    mogriff1 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I incorporate them both in my workout regimine...I tend to burn more calories on the elliptical and I like the 'low impact' benefit on my joints. Its like running but not so to speak. I also like the fact that I can pedal backwards on it and get a varying workout by working different muscles.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I like the elliptical better.
  • nina1968
    nina1968 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    How fast do most people go on the eliptical? Should i be going as fast as i can or just go at an easy pace?
  • Ladyzumba
    Ladyzumba Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I think that the elliptical gives a better workout unless u r running on the treadmill.
  • menutrit
    menutrit Posts: 19
    Options
    Treadmill! I hate how my toes go numb on an elliptical :(
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Really depends what your goals are. If you like the low-impact workout, and are going more for calorie burn, the elliptical is a good investment. The treadmill is actual running, so if you're looking to get more of that in, then a treadmill is worthwhile. I wish I had a treadmill for the days when it's crappy outside and I need to get in a run. One day, I will have one. One day.
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I don't like walking in place and prefer to walk outside. I prefer the elliptical but I now do the arc trainer.
  • swall0810
    swall0810 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I do both. I start on the treadmill walking and jogging to warm up and then jump on the Elliptical. I like both equally.
  • Le_Joy
    Le_Joy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I like the elliptical better. Partly because it moves the speed I go. It makes me feel like I am doing more instead of just trying to keep up.
  • docjoe
    docjoe Posts: 65 Member
    Options

This. I have both, prefer the treadmill but the elliptical is great when I want to give the joints a break. I can't go much more than 30 minutes due to the numb toe thing. But I much prefer running.
  • ImSoPerfectlyFlawed
    ImSoPerfectlyFlawed Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I use both at the gym, my preference is the treadmill but I burn more calories in a shorter amount of time on the elliptical however it gives me that numb feeling in my feet :ohwell:
  • ariant23
    ariant23 Posts: 161 Member
    Options

This. I have both, prefer the treadmill but the elliptical is great when I want to give the joints a break. I can't go much more than 30 minutes due to the numb toe thing. But I much prefer running.

Adjust your stance and check your shoes. Make sure you're not running on your toes. I used to have this problem. Make sure your heel stays on the pedal and that your shoes aren't too tight. Most people will have some swelling in their feet during a work-out. Tie your shoes accordingly. If you own your own, try going barefoot or in socks.

PS, I vote elliptical. You should have the resistance up and a decent speed.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    How fast do most people go on the eliptical? Should i be going as fast as i can or just go at an easy pace?

To get cardiovascular benefits, you need to get your heart rate up a bit. What I like to do is high intensity interval training (HIIT). I typically go easy for 5 minutes to warm up, then do cycles of 1 minute as fast as I can and 2 minutes of easy recovery. I can only go 20ish minutes with this before I'm spent.
  • monicamk1975
    monicamk1975 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I have both, but had the eliptical first and got really bored of it really quickly. My husband just bought me a treadmill for mothers day and I love it! I really like how intense a good run feels.
  • nina1968
    nina1968 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much. You have all been such a big help. Have a great weekend.
  • christina_theresa
    christina_theresa Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I prefer to run outside. I feel like a caged hamster when I am on a treadmill. That being said, I do love to use the elliptical on my cross train days for low impact high intensity.