c25k Week 5 Day 3 (kinda long...sorry)

Options
ishallnotwant
ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
This is a bit long...:blushing: but I hope you'll take the time to read it anyway. :heart:

I'm 35 years old and i've given birth to 5 children. I'm about 10 pounds overweight according to the BMI scales, a good 20 pounds over my (personal) coveted weight.

I have asthma. I've had it ever since I was little. I was excused from running when I was in school because of it. It's not just regular asthma, either-it's bronchial asthma-it comes with not only wheezing and gasping for air but a bonus dog bark cough that is EXTREMELY attractive when I wake up in the morning. (I'm sexy and I know it...eh?)

I am also flat footed. I had to wear painful orthopedic inserts as a child and even just walking gave me bad shin splints and calf cramps for a good portion of my life.

I have a heart murmur. Sometimes I get these random palpitations that feel like my heart is flipping around in my chest. Every once in a while my heart starts racing and it just won't slow down.

BUT...

Today, for the first time in my LIFE, I ran for 20 minutes without stopping. I can't even believe it. I'm absolutely amazed. The best part? I didn't have an asthma attack, or shin splints, or calf cramps, or any type of heart discomfort at all. It was amazing! All these weeks i've been so worried about the initial 'big 20 minute run' and I did it!

I have deeply emotional reasons for wanting to run...in 2006, my grandmother passed away from lymphoma. She was like another mother to me. Shortly afterward I received a flyer in the mail from Team in Training about a race to benefit The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. I went to the informational meeting, but I was much too intimidated by all the stuff involved, as I was raising several young children alone. At the time, the youngest 3 were under 4-life was hectic enough without taking on a project like that. I was so sad to have to say no. For 5 and a half years now i've wanted to run a race in honor of my grandmother. Now my children are older and in school and i'm finally tackling that goal. c25k is my first step.

I just wanted to say thanks to a lot of my fellow MFP peeps. The c25k and running threads and groups have been so encouraging and motivating. The kind words of the people on my friends list kept me from getting too scared and chickening out. I honestly don't think I ever even would have attempted week 5 without MFP, I would have just found excuses to repeat prior weeks. This site is so amazing! It is truly life changing. :heart: I'm looking forward to finishing c25k and even more!!!

Replies

• beckers80
    beckers80 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I'm very proud of you for not giving up and you will do great completing the whole program. Sorry to hear about your grandma, I know she is very proud of you for you trying and doing this. I was just diagonsed with lymphona last July, been a struggle and a battle since then. Main reason why I need to make sure I can get some weight off as they want to do a major surgery in July.
  • s1lence
    s1lence Posts: 493
    Options
    Congratulations on your first 20 min run! Awesome story. I hope that you will get a chance to run in honor of your grandmother. Keep up the good work and remain an inspiration to others.
  • beckers80
    beckers80 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Also I dont have asthma, however i was born with a birth defect in my foot, I have had three surgeries on it therefore I was always excused from gym class as well and had to wear orthopedic inserts. Kinda weird, maybe we are related? :smile:
  • shaynes14
    shaynes14 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I hope it becomes a habit. I started C25K at the end of September and so glad I did. I hope you can find another run perhaps to run for your grandmother.
  • littledumplings
    littledumplings Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    You're an inspiraton...and I'm humbled...I was proud of doing the 20 minute run just coz I'm overweight..but you have overcome some bigger obstacles! Your grandma must be so proud of you...and is going to be doing backflips when you get to do a race for her :)) So very well done young lady....keep it up, I'm here for you...just starting week 7 today...it's tough, but it's so worth it :) xx
  • christina_theresa
    christina_theresa Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • getfitnfab
    getfitnfab Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Grandma's are a special bunch
    You did yours very proud
    Congrats
    Keep up the good work
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the encouragement! :flowerforyou:

lol Beckers maybe we do come from the same family tree!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!