Tips for gaining weight?

Options
I know this isn't a popular problem and I'm probably setting myself up for some nasty responses, but I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to gain weight. I've been steadily losing weight for the last year or so and, while it was great at first, I'm now about 5 lbs underweight. Nothing's wrong with me, medically speaking. One of my meds has appetite suppression as a side effect. I really don't feel hungry most of the time and, when I do eat, can only eat small amounts of food in one sitting. Add that to the fact that I'm lactose intolerant and bike at least a mile every day to get to and from school and you wind up with a girl who can't keep any weight on.

Does anyone have any ideas of what I could do to gain weight? I mean, obviously, I need to eat more. But suggestions of what I should eat would be much appreciated. As I am a college student, money is an issue. I can't live on slimfast bars and protein shakes, they're just too expensive.

Replies

• JayBeeGo
    JayBeeGo Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Although at the other end of the age spectrum I share your problem in part ie in terms of putting on weight.

I'm coming to the perhaps obvious conclusion that if you eat healthy foods it seems inevitably harder to put weight on although I appreciate you have other issues going on.

As a novice in good nutrition I hesitate to give much in the way of advice but at worst someone more knowledgeable may comment on my thoughts and help both of us in the process.

What could help is nutrient dense foods which means that if you don't eat as much as you prefer you are at least keeping the intake of nutrients up. Sadly that may not be the least expensive option.

I'm a convert to Extra Virgin Olive Oil and whilst you certainly don't want to overdo it, your calorie intake will certainly rise and many argue EVOO is very beneficial to good health being predominately 'good' fat and I believe is appropriate for lactose intolerance.

You could also plan your following day's food in advance and you may then be more likely to encourage yourself to eat more by trying to stick to your plan rather than simply eating when you remember to.

Sorry I can't be more helpful but we could always regard this as a bump.
  • Dootzy1
    Dootzy1 Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    Have you spoken with your doctor, or someone at the health center about this? Gaining weight might happen if you eat more full fat yogurt, nuts, bread, and chocolate? Most of those I know who have lactose issues don't have issues with cultured products, like yogurt, don't know if you can handle that.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Well, it all depends on what you want to gain. Unless you are having menstrual problems or have been diagnosed as "underfat" based on reliable body fat measurements, i'm assuming you don't want to increase the amount of fat you are storing.

Therefore, I'm assuming you want to increase muscle mass a bit...

Building muscle is not something your body will do in response to extra calories alone. Excess calories are stored in the form of glycogen and fat (which most people try to avoid). If you want to increase lean body mass, your going to have to do some hard work. Full body resistance training workouts 3 times a week focusing on powerful movements of large muscle groups. Squats, lunges, presses, pullups, pushups, core exercises, etc. Resistance training with sufficient weight is the trigger for your body to start repairing, rebuilding, and increasing the amount of muscle on your frame.

You don't build muscle quickly, so you don't need a ton of extra calories. A few hundred calories above maintenance on lifting days should be sufficient. The key is to make sure you are getting plenty of protein (some books recommend up to 1g per pound of body weight daily) to build muscle. Also, make sure your protein is from a variety of sources so that you know you are getting all of your essential amino acids from your diet.
  • transfixedtoast
    transfixedtoast Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    try to sneak in extra high calorie foods, like avocado, potato, meat, olive oil, and sugary things.
    Maybe you could add in an extra dessert after dinner aswell and have a piece of cake, pudding or fruit salad.
    You could also try to put in extra carbs where ever possible. Good sources of carbs are pasta, rice, noodles, brown things etc.
    From what I understand to gain a pound you need an addition of 3500 over BMR so you do the math and good luck gaining. :)
  • ReneeIngram11
    Options
    You should need protein powder. Start take protein shake daily before or after workout.. it's the best supplement for gaining weight.
  • paleojamie
    paleojamie Posts: 191
    Options
    I have gained 10lbs recently and have a goal to gain a further 20lbs,

The ONLY way to do it is healthily.

Check my diary;

210g of oats and 2 bananas chopped in oats for brekkie - gives around 1000 cals.

mackerel sandwiches gives a further 670

chicken and veg gives a further 500

almonds give a further 500

rice and chicken gives a further 600

etc

you need to eat at least 500 extra cals a day on top of your maintenance
  • BarryB1984
    Options
    You should need protein powder. Start take protein shake daily before or after workout.. it's the best supplement for gaining weight.

I'm guessing what you actually mean is a weight gaining supplement? Protein powder it's self only has around 100 cals per severing and taken by many people who are attempting to lose weight.
  • JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    add nutrient rich high calorie foods to your protein shakes ..banana, peanut butter, coconut oil, almond milk....you can drink more than one a day...by adding those ingredients to your shake you will increase the calories of each shake by almost 600 cals a shake! And they are gooooood!!!!!! u should be drinking your protein after a work out. Maybe have some carbs before working out.
  • transfixedtoast
    transfixedtoast Posts: 89 Member
    Options

I'm guessing what you actually mean is a weight gaining supplement? Protein powder it's self only has around 100 cals per severing and taken by many people who are attempting to lose weight.

Agreed^ Nutritionists often put people who need to gain weight on things like ensue or sustagen to get a bit of extra somethings into their diet.
  • Fred4point0
    Fred4point0 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Since you are lactose intolerant...try Silk Almond Milk. It will allow you to enjoy milk again. Use it for your cereal, oatmeal and any of your favorite recipes. Understand the budget issue. Peanut Butter Sandwich, Baked Chicken and Tuna are a few some what inexpensive items. There are all types of recipes of chicken and tuna so you want get bored. The same for home made smoothie. Stir clear of protein shakes. Not only are they expensive but your body may not process it well. Hope this helps.
  • icemaiden17_uk
    icemaiden17_uk Posts: 463 Member
    Options

This and the post below it! Protein shakes don't have to be expensive and you can get ones that use water instead of milk! Increase your calories and protein as much as you can and maybe start lifting a bit to make sure you gain muscle and not fat!!

My partner is quite under weight and this is what he is ment to be doing! He is a bad eater and just can't be bothered! He also doesn't drink his shakes much so he just stays the same!! It is bad hablits that need to be broken I guess! And gaining weight takes the same amount of dedication as losing weight does!! If you have done that then you can do this!! Go get it!!
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Plenty of bread, nuts, seeds, nut butters, pasta, potatoes and I would suggest not filling in the calories with high sugar things, as it can be done a more healthy way. I agree about the shakes, if you can afford this. Oatmeal a few times a day with seeds and dried fruit added in is good, I agree with the poster who suggested that, though it is filling. Shame you are lactose intolerant as cheese would have been a good one. Try and keep it healthy though, and make sure you still get enoug vegetables and fruits in each day, I think you just need to build up slowly so your stomach has time to adjust, and aside from the cycling, try and avoid doing too much moving about for the time being. A dessert before bed, such as rice pudding wouldn't go amiss either, in spite of containing sugar, and an individual one isn't too filling. If the issue is getting full easily, nuts. seeds, toast and nut butters are honestly your best options.
  • bumflapassassin
    bumflapassassin Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Hi, When I was about your age (well, for my entire life until I turned about 28) I was "underweight" no matter what I did. I spoke to my doctor about it and she said that it wasn't a problem as it wasn't a drastic amount and I was otherwise healthy; I was just always under my BMI. So unless you're unhappy or unhealthy being slightly under (because let's face it, 5 pounds isn't that much in the grand scheme of things), I wouldn't worry. My guess is that when you near 30 you'll naturally get a bit heavier, and that this won't be a problem either :smile:

Edit to add: I have read on your profile that you're working on toning up. Perhaps you should speak to someone about a weights programme, as muscle does add to your weight and could be just what you need to get you to the weight you're looking for.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry too much about 5 lbs unless of course someone has an eating disorder. body composition basically makes the scale weight a moot point....maybe concentrate on that.