Healhty Recipes!

Options
I thought I'd start a topic where, if you want, you can post your favorite healthy recipe...here's mine! Lentil, Barley and Shi**ake Mushroom Soup - the spices are approximate, so do it to your taste! (the board thingy won't let me spell the reall name of the mushroom....O.o)

Ingredients:

1/2 cup lentils (1/4 cup dry rehydrated if you are using dried)

1/2 cup Barley (1/4 cup dry rehydrated if you are using dried)

3/4 cup Shi**ake Mushrooms

4 Cups of Water (Will need more later)

1 Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper

1 Teaspoon Rosemary

1 Teaspoon Sage

3 Beef Boullion Cubes

1 Teaspoon Sesame Oil

Okay, so put the water in a pan. Put in all ingrediants. Simmer/Boil for about a half hour, and then add more water to desired thickness & heat. Makes a nice spicy soup!

*Sorry the details aren't better, I'm not a good recipe writer - but this soup was pretty good!

Replies

• girltrumpeter85
    Options
    Woops, subtract the rosemary and sage - I was thinking of the marinated beets I had made.
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Hahaha who knew mushrooms were so offensive?

Here's my super healthy, super secret, Super Vegan Chili.

It's vegan, but you'll never know- I've fed this to big hulking Me Man, Me Eat Meat guys and they loved it.

Super Vegan Chili

Get a big pot- this is enough to feed four people and have enough leftover for a week of lunches.

Ingredients:
    3 cups of TVP (textured vegetable protein, check Whole Foods bulk isle)
    1/8 cup of garlic (less if you like)
    2 Big cans of Dark Red beans, or hot chili beans if you prefer- but that will up the sodium)
    2 Small cans of mild chili beans
    2 Cans of Petite Diced Tomatoes- no salt added
    1 bag of Krogers 3 Pepper and Onion Blend (or 1 of each pepper and an onion, finely chopped)
    2-3 cups of water (to fluff the tvp and to simmer off the pot with)
    2 tsp of LIquid Smoke mesquite flavoring (IMPORTANT ingredient for meat-lovers!)
    3 tbsp of Black Strap Molasses
    1 tsp of Cinnamon
    2 cups of cheap Chili Powder (sounds like a lot but this is for a BIG pot)
    Hot sauce to taste

Here's where the magic happens:

Saute' onion, pepper and garlic for about five minutes in the bottom of your big pot. Don't make them crunchy, just sweat them long enough for them to get a little floppy- but not dry.

Dump in everything else and stir on high heat until you get some good bubbles going. Then turn the heat down to low, pop the lid on that bad sucker and let it sit for about half an hour. That's it. You can let it sit overnight if you want to, but it's not required.

I make this for all of the social gatherings and it's never let me down. Plus it only takes about half an hour to make because so many of the ingredients are canned. Works for me! :)

For something different, you can add raisins (1/2 cup) or banana peppers (mild or hot). Have fun with it, mix it up a bit.