100 Calorie Packs - article

Options
2»

Replies

• Shanta1983
    Shanta1983 Posts: 1,228 Member
    Options
    :laugh: Oh Boy Oh Boy I bought a pack of nabisco 100 calorie pack popcorn, And Boy I ate one was like ummm good, One more not gone hurt I have plenty extra snack calories left:laugh: . And boy I finished the whole box in to days:laugh: I dont buy them no more
  • DBranchaud
    DBranchaud Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I'm with DBranchaud - I used to eat an entire box of snack cakes (swiss cake rolls - frozen) - because once I got started, I was done for. My frame of mind: If no one sees me eat it, it doesn't count. WRONG! It counted all right. What was I thinking?

I found a new strategy...i bought a lovely assorted cookies bag( 5 cookies =150 cals)... the thing is they are the dry shortbread-ish kind......I can only drink them with a cup of tea. I kinda trick myself. I make myslef a cup of tea ... take out a few cookies and go into another room......I'm usually too lazy or I forget to go get more.... It's worked soo far:drinker:
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    100 calorie packs are a rip off. The product is very rarely the same and you pay way more money to have someone pre package things that you probably shouldn't eat everyday anyway. If you crave something buy teh real thing and get snack bags adn portion it out and limit yourself to just one snack bag.

Sorry, just a pet peave of mine, just another way the marketers of crappy processed food get the public to continue to eat crappy foods...it's all just a big marketing scam!
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    100 calorie packs are a rip off. The product is very rarely the same and you pay way more money to have someone pre package things that you probably shouldn't eat everyday anyway. If you crave something buy teh real thing and get snack bags adn portion it out and limit yourself to just one snack bag.

Sorry, just a pet peave of mine, just another way the marketers of crappy processed food get the public to continue to eat crappy foods...it's all just a big marketing scam!

I agree with you............they want consumers to think it is healthier for them and its not........

Give me celery and peanut butter to snack on any day.........

1 oz of any type of nuts

1 cup of fruit

And I am eating something that is NON-processed and has some nutritional value to what I am putting in my mouth.
  • chicaloca6470
    chicaloca6470 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    i love the 100 calorie packs and i do good with them for snack. the loora shortbread cookies and the oreo ones are my faves. i will drink a small glass of milk with them and i have the perfect snack. better then me running to dairy queen and getting a small blizzard.
  • chopsticks
    chopsticks Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Ok i'm a fan of calorie packs...mine are usually the 90 cal packs from special k... but well i ate my chocolate drizzle bar,"special k" and the woman i take care of ate a chocolate drizzle rice krispi treat i noticed that the only nutritunal difference was krispie had one more fat gram than Special k and the dietery fiber....hers 0 mine less than one. I could have had that rice krispie treat for basically the same nutrients the cals were all the same and hers i'm sure tasted better!!!!
  • FluffnStuff
    FluffnStuff Posts: 387
    Options
    It's about resisting what you can, finding substitues for what you can't, and indulging once in a while in the forbidden.

:flowerforyou:
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    A study reported in the Journal of Consumer Research found that participants given 100-calorie snack packs while watching television ate significantly more than those who were given regular-sized bags of potato chips to snack from. Food analyst Marcia Mogelonsky, Ph.D., tells Brand Week that the 100-calorie packs were "a license to overeat."

How?

If I eat out of a bag of chips (thank God I NEVER do this), I eat easily hundreds and hundreds of calories.
    I'd have to eat 4, 5 or more bags to equal the same. I'd never eat that many 100 cal pacakges in one sitting.

I would
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    I too find the 100 calorie packs too expensive, I don't eat a lot of cookies (unless they are homeade). What I did was buy 4 bags of baked chips/pretzels/tostitos/cheese puffs and bought some snack size baggies and counted out a serving size to each bag. Yes it takes a little time, but it's easier for me.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I bought these little cups from Glad. They are 1/2 cup and I count my yummies in the morning.

Now grant it, my yummies are carrots, strawberries, cherries, grapes, hummus, cottage cheese, triscuits.........but I count my cals.

So on Friday I have 1/2 block of cheddar cheese left, and a few cups of snacks. I pulled them out, cut up the cheese into 1oz portions and shared with my work unit.

I loved that my coworkers were eating good foods. they all asked me about the portion control cups and tasted cottage cheese on triscuits and hummus on carrots!!

much cheaper to buy a cup and reuse, and more earth friendly.:flowerforyou:
  • lyla29
    lyla29 Posts: 3,549 Member
    Options
    I like to get the 100 calorie packs of the tiny cookies (mint fudge shoppe), because when I have a chocolate craving, I eat maybe 1/2 the bag, and it's only 50 calories, and I am satisfied. I like to eat the small cookies because sometimes it seems like more to me than eating a regular size cookie. .:ohwell:
  • MissVitaVonCherry
    MissVitaVonCherry Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Thanks for sharing this!
    I like the 100 cal packs, they are quick and on the go for me which is exactly what i used them for, i don't use them to sit and watch tv with! But I could see where other may do that... personally I think if you sit down with a bag of chips you are in for more danger then with a 100 cal pack, after you finish the pack you would have to get up to get another if you ran out!:happy: :laugh: :laugh:

LONG LIVE the 100 cal packs I say!
  • Cindysunshine
    Cindysunshine Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I wonder if the people in the study were even people who wanted to lose weight or for that matter even cared waht they stuffed in their face? I don't buy the 100 calorie packs. I like the single serve bags of baked chips every so often and I can count out 1 oz of regular chips and just eat them and no more. I do think the 100 calorie packs are great for some people and especialy for kids portion control. I would keep buying them if you love them and thats that. :smile: Cindy :heart:
  • slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Read the article but not the replies so please forgive if I'm repeating. My eating personality is such that I would not be satisfied with a 100 calorie pack. I would eat a whole box of them, so the portion control doesn't work.

PLUS, those are easily addictive foods. What's to stop me from eating 100 cals of that instead of something more healthy? The old commercial of "you can't eat just one" is so true for some of us!
  • MaryinBflo
    MaryinBflo Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I wonder if the people in the study were even people who wanted to lose weight or for that matter even cared waht they stuffed in their face? I don't buy the 100 calorie packs. I like the single serve bags of baked chips every so often and I can count out 1 oz of regular chips and just eat them and no more. I do think the 100 calorie packs are great for some people and especialy for kids portion control. I would keep buying them if you love them and thats that. :smile: Cindy :heart:

Exactly because if you are logging all your calories you know EXACTLY what you are eating!! I use the 100 cal packs for work so there is no way to go back for more since I can only eat what i bring plus they are too expensive to eat at home anyways!
  • slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    That's a good point. A good friend of mine had a stomach operation to help her lose weight. She's looking great, but still eats those 100 cal packs. Before she had the operation, she would say she was watching what she ate, but ate those packs, which are really almost empty calories.

It's not even the calories, though, but the quality of what you eat. I could eat 100 cals of cheezits or whatever they are, or I could stuff my face with a 100 cals of fruits and veggies and not feel exhausted and hungry in an hour.