Do you believe you can damage your metabolism by eating too

Options
Do you believe you can damage your metabolism by eating too little.

I don't. I don't believe there is anything such thing as 'starvation mode' either.

What thinks all of you?

Replies

• Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    I do. I don't think it'll happen from a couple of days of light eating, though. It takes awhile of consistently too little. I know of people who lost lots of weight that way, but they have to continue eating too little in order to maintain.
  • HannahMarieMcDougald
    Options
    umm then why are there eating disorders? Do you know your brain itself needs a certain amount of calories to even function?

'edited by moderator Arewethereyet"
  • Baurus
    Baurus Posts: 27
    Options
    Your metabolism slow off and i just tried it out. I'm currently eating 1300 kcal and i don't look more able to eat 2500 kcal without increase my weight. Also we have to say that you can restore your metabolism ( i did it in the past) easily and get it back to 2500 kcal so relax and get to the deficit you want (not less then 1200 or you won't be able to fulfill your macros).
    I've to say i'm 18 so it's more easy for me, i can understand a 30-40 years old may have problems to restore own metabolism.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    yes, yes i do. just started a thread about it.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

I don't. I don't believe there is anything such thing as 'starvation mode' either.

What thinks all of you?

I don't believe in Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny either but people on VLCDs can experience a significant loss of lean muscle mass which in turn lowers their BMR. It's not a matter of faith, it's a fact. It doesn't happen overnight but it does happen.
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I do... I believe that eating too little won't get me the results I want/need. so why starve yourself, RISK damaging your metabolism (just in case it's true, right?) if it doesn't even work.

starvation diets didn't work for me. I'm eating more now than I have since trying to lose weight, and I'm having my best success yet!
    I do. I don't think it'll happen from a couple of days of light eating, though. It takes awhile of consistently too little. I know of people who lost lots of weight that way, but they have to continue eating too little in order to maintain.

^agreed with that as well
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options

What thinks all of you?

I don't believe in Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny either but people on VLCDs can experience a significant loss of lean muscle mass which in turn lowers their BMR. It's not a matter of faith, it's a fact. It doesn't happen overnight but it does happen.

^^what he said. it's a FACT! :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Of course I believe it, because I did it, and I see people on here doing it all the time.

Thankfully, it was repairable. Life is much more fun with a good metabolism. It means I don't have to micromanage my eating habits, especially now that I'm maintaining. I know I won't be derailed by enjoying a delicious Easter dinner at my brother's tomorrow, including lots of candy. I was even able to take a month off from logging my food and exercising when I had an injury at the start of the year, without gaining weight. It's allows me a buffer zone.
  • jenna_scott
    jenna_scott Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Oh I am popping the popcorn and getting my seat in the front cause this is going to be good.
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    It's not a matter of belief, it's a matter of reality. Unfortunately, I've experienced it first hand, and so have a lot of others. Trust me, you really don't want to go there.
  • MisterTEZ
    MisterTEZ Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    there is far too much evidence to suggest otherwise
  • LizKurz
    LizKurz Posts: 340 Member
    Options

What thinks all of you?

Christ on a cracker, THIS. Exactly this.

It's like how people "don't believe" in global warming, or other scientifically based facts.

Math and science are not something you can "choose" to believe in. Really.
  • transfixedtoast
    transfixedtoast Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I believe that it does happen. It's happened to me but it doesn't happen after a few days of light eating.
    I became very sick, my worst was 3 weeks when I went on holiday and I was to anxious to eat. I ate an accumulative amount of 500 calories over those 3 weeks and I can definatley tell you that my body believed it would never get food again and every single thing started to slow down because it eeded to preserve every single calorie that I got to keep my heart beating.
    Starvation mode is a thing. It is definatley true but I think it's just overused on this site.
  • ericgAU
    ericgAU Posts: 271
    Options
    My wife is living proof that not eating properly has led to being overweight. While this was not intentional (we have 4 kids), it will take some time to retrain the metabolism to fire up again by eating regular meals. This is what we are doing now. Dont kid yourself that `starvation mode' is something that doesnt happen. Its does and its the human bodies very clever response to famine.
  • kskroch
    kskroch Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I was on a medically supervised VLCD I was between 600 and 800 calories for 15 weeks. After that, the last 6 months I've been trying slowly to increase my calories and I'm in the 1400-1800 range now. Technically I should still be loosing weight, but I've gained back about 10 pounds from my low. My memory, energy level and endurance is still not what it should be. I can feel my metabolism is still not right. I hope it is not permanently damaged, but it is still certainly suppressed.
  • katemme
    katemme Posts: 191
    Options
    Uhh, yes you can. I am dealing with an eating disorder, I exercising and eating only about 800 calories a day, sometimes less, then my net would be around 300-400 calories a day. I am getting better, I eat around 1200 now, but with net calories its still 500-800 calories. I lost 7 pounds (from 112 to 105) and when I increased, within a week I gained 5. I am still in a deficit and should be loosing almost a pound a week but I'm not.
  • Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Options

What thinks all of you?

Christ on a cracker, THIS. Exactly this.

It's like how people "don't believe" in global warming, or other scientifically based facts.

Math and science are not something you can "choose" to believe in. Really.

Lol, don't get me started on Global Warmig. That's a buttload of political fake.
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Of course I believe it, because I did it, and I see people on here doing it all the time.

Thankfully, it was repairable. Life is much more fun with a good metabolism. It means I don't have to micromanage my eating habits, especially now that I'm maintaining. I know I won't be derailed by enjoying a delicious Easter dinner at my brother's tomorrow, including lots of candy. I was even able to take a month off from logging my food and exercising when I had an injury at the start of the year, without gaining weight. It's allows me a buffer zone.

Love this, love, love, love! :heart: