Will Clean Eating help my tummy shrink?

Options

Replies

• pobski
    pobski Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    The main difference between clean eating and dirty eating is VOLUME. You get/got fat because we overate. Clean eating helps reduce overeating, because there's only so many vegetables you can stuff down your pipe. At the end of the day, it's the reduction of calories, and clean eating helps aid that. What is more satiating? 5 cups of broccoli or a piece of chocolate? You decide.

and here's the only legit argument for clean eating in my opinion.

I'm still trying to push the boundaries veggie stuffing.
  • AeolianHarp
    AeolianHarp Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    In this thread: almost no one has a damn clue what they're talking about.

"Clean" eating (which is incredibly ambiguous, arbitrary, vague, and subjective) is not any better than non-clean eating for health or leanness or whatever.

News flash: I'm getting the same results or better while eating non-clean foods on a daily basis. Hundreds and thousands of people are doing this. They're just as healthy (if not more healthy) than "clean eaters."
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    I don't eat "clean" and have a pretty flat stomach.

Ditto.

I think I eat well, but not clean. I love pizza, bagels, pasta, garlic bread and burgers too much to go clean.

I'm joining in on this too! I eat good, but certainly not all "clean" I am getting leaner and leaner and still have my "dirty" foods
  • kylesmommy89
    kylesmommy89 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I don't "eat clean" by any means and I've had some success. I'm just not so freaking gluttonous anymore, and voila! My belly has come off :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,699 Member
    Options
    there is losing weight and there is getting lean..to me these are 2 different things. You can put yourself into a calorie deficit and lose weight which will most likely include losing muscle mass. Just because the scale goes down does not necessarily mean that it is a good thing. To me, getting lean is lowering your body fat without much regard to a number on a scale. If your only goal is to have a lower number on the scale then by all means eat whatever you like as long as it is under your caloric intake goal. But to get lean you need to eat clean. i.e. whole foods, lean protein, cut way down on the processed foods, etc.
    Untrue. Though I'm not "competition lean", I eat lots of variety of foods, whole and processed with occasional junk food thrown in.
    There are many athletes that do the same.

A.C.E. Certified Personal & Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I eat mostly vegetables and grains because I like to (and I follow a plant-based lifestyle anyway). I do like the occasional cheeseless pizza, though. Or a piece of dark chocolate. It's all about moderation.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    All eating clean does is make you healthy, you can't just shrink your stomach by taking a magic pill.

It takes dedication, exercise and watching your calorie intake. You have to lower body fat percentage to shrink your tummy and eating clean isn't the only factor in that.

I don't have a flat tummy, nor do I eat completely clean but mine has been flattening over time thanks to watching my calorie intake, exercising and making better food choices. You have to watch your body fat percentage, not the number on the scale.
  • Coco_Puff
    Coco_Puff Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    there is losing weight and there is getting lean..to me these are 2 different things. You can put yourself into a calorie deficit and lose weight which will most likely include losing muscle mass. Just because the scale goes down does not necessarily mean that it is a good thing. To me, getting lean is lowering your body fat without much regard to a number on a scale. If your only goal is to have a lower number on the scale then by all means eat whatever you like as long as it is under your caloric intake goal. But to get lean you need to eat clean. i.e. whole foods, lean protein, cut way down on the processed foods, etc.

Well said!!!!
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options

Well said!!!!

^^ uh no. This is not true at all.
    Processed foods break down muscle now? FFS.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Notice the trend here: some of the leanest and best bodies on this site are advocates of moderate eating. Meaning we're smart enough to get in the daily essentials, exercise, rest, stay with calorie limits AND still eat "dirty food".
    What are you going to do once you get that flat stomach? Continue eating "clean" the rest of your entire life and NEVER eat a processed candy bar, pizza slice, cake, etc. for FEAR of losing your flat stomach?
    It can be attained with moderation. The "clean eaters" just don't want others to know it.

IDEA Fitness member
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I find during periods when I eat really clean I lose inches fast and times when I eat not so clean I don't lose as fast.
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    In this thread: almost no one has a damn clue what they're talking about.

"Clean" eating (which is incredibly ambiguous, arbitrary, vague, and subjective) is not any better than non-clean eating for health or leanness or whatever.

News flash: I'm getting the same results or better while eating non-clean foods on a daily basis. Hundreds and thousands of people are doing this. They're just as healthy (if not more healthy) than "clean eaters."
    ^^^Preach it! Keep to your calories and macros. It's as easy as that!
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options

I can agree~!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I find during periods when I eat really clean I lose inches fast and times when I eat not so clean I don't lose as fast.
    That's sodium issue in most cases. Put some salt on your clean foods and the results will probably be the same.

IDEA Fitness member
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options
    Eating at a calorie deficit will get rid of fat and eventually bring down the belly size. Eating healthy nutrient filled foods will help you stay healthy.
  • Perpalicious
    Options
    You can not spot reduce any area. You need to eat clean to obtain overall good health and body fat reduction. Your body chooses where it wants to lose the weight first. Also, you do need to do HIIT training and lifting

Are you implying that bleaching your food prior to consumption will help you reduce body fat?
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

Are you implying that bleaching your food prior to consumption will help you reduce body fat?

^ It's like wonderpug without an .avi. I approve. =)
  • mznuluv
    mznuluv Posts: 8
    Options
    Why do some people feel like they have to be insulting when they add their OPINION to a post, Everyone has something valuable to say whether you agree or not. My opinion is there are many ways to lose weight, but only ONE way to become HEALTHY and its not by consuming a bunch of processed, refined, genetically modified or engineered toxic foods. Getting back to the original question...clean eating will not 'alone' help your tummy to shrink, but overall is 'healthier' for your body, that's my OPINION:bigsmile:
  • thatguy010
    thatguy010 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    This thread has a lot of good information, I'm worried I'll never get a 6 pack while having pizza once a week. I really think the pizza may be what's holding me back.
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit = weight loss. It doesn't matter whether your eating clean if your not at a deficit. Eating clean just means your eating healthy and getting more nutrients and less processed bad foods. But either way you eat, it'll be the deficit that will cause shrinkage. You'll feel a heck of a lot better eating clean though. :)