First time in the weight room...

Options
I've been exercising regularly (5 times a week, usually) for about the last two months, but it's all been cardio--elliptical and stationary bike mostly. I've been putting off strength training even though I know I need to add this into my fitness program. Anyway, I decided to bit the bullet this morning and remembered that there's a women's only room at my gym so my humiliation wouldn't be public. However, I'm so overwhelmed I don't know what I should and shouldn't be doing--I used all the machines and have logged my workout (except something called the Vertical Press which doesn't seem to come up on the list here) but I'd really welcome any advice about getting started with weights. There's a variety of machines, and some free weights too. Should I be doing low weights, high reps, or high weights and low reps? And just what constitutes high/low reps anyway? I am confused!

Replies

• KPainter70
    KPainter70 Posts: 152
    Options
    Check out a book like New Rules of Lifting For Women. That'll give you a great starting point. Otherwise, have one of the gym's trainers give you a program in which you lift as heavy as you can for low reps.
  • Stefanie7125
    Stefanie7125 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Check out a book like New Rules of Lifting For Women. That'll give you a great starting point. Otherwise, have one of the gym's trainers give you a program in which you lift as heavy as you can for low reps.

^^this. The weight room is a scary place, I am right there with you on that! You are fortunate that your gym has a separate area. I just got my copy of this book and plan to be in the gym next week (once I finish it)! Otherwise someone that works there should GLADLY show you the ropes. Good luck and don't back down!
  • mbts08
    mbts08 Posts: 284 Member
    Options

I second this!!! NROLF4 is awesome, currently on stage 2. I hired a PT for two sessions for good form, definitely worth it.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    You can do it! read and ask questions and try one thing at a time...I was intimidated by what I call the "big boy area" back in September...i am down 30 pounds now and still have about 30 more, but now feel really comfortable anywhere in the gym now.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I would recommend getting a personal trainer, even if only for one session so they can show you how to use the machines and also show you good form for the exercises. One of the most important things to get right with weight training is form. It may be a way to get you familiarized with the gym.
  • drmattski
    drmattski Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    +1 on the personal trainer. I was always lifting too much or wrong way (form) and hurting myself. I now lift a lot less weight after working with a trainer for 6 sessions, but it is more effective and no injuries!
  • gettingthinandfit
    Options
    12 reps 3 sets works best for building muscle :) make sure its not too light