novice runner

Options
I have never ran before, but have heard its a great way to lose weight, my question is how many km per hour should you set the treadmill, have managed to fast walk on 7.2 but really havent got a clue.

Replies

• bigtone34
    bigtone34 Posts: 136
    Options
    Do what is comfortable for you.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    When I started out doing the C25K, I walked at 3.5 mph and jogged at 4.5 mph. I completed the C25K running at 5.0 mph and walking 3.9 mph. Right now I am still running at 5 mph, but increasing my distance. The last 5 minutes of my run, I bump it up to 5.3-5.5 mph.

Sorry, I didn't look up the mph to kmph conversion.
  • Jade17694
    Jade17694 Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    Bumping
  • christina_theresa
    christina_theresa Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    You should run at where you're comfortable. If you can talk when you run then that's a good pace.
  • LizKurz
    LizKurz Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    IMHO, or, well, not so humble, I think if you're a novice runner, if you've not run before, you should do ann interval program to get to running. If you don't, you risk injury.

Also, make sure you have proper running shoes, and as for conversion, I think starting out at around an 8kmph would be decent. Much lower and you could walk it, but much higher and you might risk injury due to improper form.

Also, while you're doing your intervals make sure you work on your breathing and your running form, this will go a long way to helping you down the line when you start running longer distances.
  • aliceinlondon
    Options
    I plan to walk for 2 mins run for 1 untill I have mastered the art of it.

Thanks for the replies, Im off to the shops to get some running shoes.........hopefully they will get used and not end up under the stairs.
  • peprwpr
    peprwpr Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    bump
  • LizKurz
    LizKurz Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I plan to walk for 2 mins run for 1 untill I have mastered the art of it.

Thanks for the replies, Im off to the shops to get some running shoes.........hopefully they will get used and not end up under the stairs.

My suggestion would be to join one of the running groups in which you try to run so many miles per week. I'm in one that's 15 miles, and it's a run, walk crawl group, in other words, running, walking and swimming, just get in the mileage. It's helping me take my running further, (I can't do much more than a mile swim in one session) and its keeping me accountable. :)