TOO MUCH SUGAR

Options
I am eating good I think until i look at the sugar??? I usually have a banana, apple or pear, strawberries, maybe cherries or blueberries in a day and am going over on sugar by 80 grams.. Is this bad where it is from fruit and not refined..I have no refined sugar at all..

Replies

• cerberus8
    cerberus8 Posts: 6
    Options
    I'm doing the same exact thing. Had healthy cereal, milk, and some applesauce for breakfast and I was over. I was told you can change it manually to set your own requirements, but I still don't know what a good level of sugar per day should be.
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    I just did some research on this, and what's bad for you is the added sugar. So if you just ate fruit, and all your sugar comes from the fruit, it really doesn't matter, it's not bad for you. If you get the 80 grams from the processed food, cookies, nutrition bars, anything with added sugar, that's what you need to watch out for. MFP can't differentiate between added sugar and natural sugar, but its' the added sugar that's bad for you.
  • heygirl1954
    Options
    thanks so much I will quit fretting over it
  • annaliza
    annaliza Posts: 809
    Options
    I stopped keeping track of the sugar since I almost always go over it. I eat a lot of fruit and keep processed sugar out of my diet so I'm not overly concerned with it; I'm eating clean and healthy. I keep track of my Calories, Carbs, Fat ,Protein, Fiber, and Sodium.
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I agree with adopt4. If it's natural and you're not going over by 200 grams lol, then you should be fine.

I try to remember its important to eat healthy and not get too bogged down in the calorie/gram count.
  • cerberus8
    cerberus8 Posts: 6
    Options
    Thanks guys, makes sense that the natural sugar is okay for you. Just wanted to make sure.
  • ToniAnn45
    ToniAnn45 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I am eating good I think until i look at the sugar??? I usually have a banana, apple or pear, strawberries, maybe cherries or blueberries in a day and am going over on sugar by 80 grams.. Is this bad where it is from fruit and not refined..I have no refined sugar at all..

I asked the same question about 3 weeks ago & received this advice.:flowerforyou:

If you spread out your fruit throughout the day, and don't go over by much (a few grams won't hurt ya) then you should be fine. Fructose (fruit sugar) IS sugar, but it's not processed by the body as quickly as regular table sugar is, and because fruit has fiber, some of that sugar is locked up until the body breaks down the fiber, and thus the fruit is digested over an even longer period. NOTE: THIS IS NOT TRUE FOR FRUIT JUICE.

So as long as you aren't eating large amounts of fruit all at once, or going over your sugar by a bunch every day, you shouldn't have a problem.
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options
    I would agree with most of this, sugar from fruit is not all that bad for you. But I would not say don't worry about it. You certainly can eat to much natural sugar, and it will have the same result as eating refined sugar.
  • ToniAnn45
    ToniAnn45 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I would agree with most of this, sugar from fruit is not all that bad for you. But I would not say don't worry about it. You certainly can eat to much natural sugar, and it will have the same result as eating refined sugar.

I agree that you shouldn't eat unlimited amounts of fruit...maybe 3/day...spread out over the entire day. One each for breakfast, lunch & late afternoon or evening snack.:flowerforyou:
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options

I agree that you shouldn't eat unlimited amounts of fruit...maybe 3/day...spread out over the entire day. One each for breakfast, lunch & late afternoon or evening snack.:flowerforyou:

I do the same thing, a banana with breakfast, an apple mid day and another fruit in the evening. I just have heard (not just here) way to many time that it's ok, eat as much fruit as you want. It's not ok, there are a lot of studies that show eating too much fruit could lead to insulin issues and weight gain. Your body can only process so much.

Like anything else, everything in moderation.
  • karissastephens
    karissastephens Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    How much sugar is in youre cereal? and get sugar free applesauce because there is a lot of sugar inclusing refined sugar in some applesauces