Striiv: Personal Trainer in Your Pocket

Options
Has anyone used this device. I'm seriously debating buying it. I would like to hear opinions. I put information about it below for those who haven't heard of it before. :)

Thanks y'all!

Just like hiring a personal trainer, Striiv motivates you to achieve results by encouraging you to get moving and rewarding you for doing so. Unlike a personal trainer, it doesn't cost $100 a session and you won't be sweating through a painful workout. But you will see results, because walking is one of the most beneficial workouts you can do and can be transformative to your health and fitness. Using Striiv is addictive--and was designed to be that way. Because each experience is powered by your activity, it's fun to achieve your fitness goals.

The More You Move, the More You Give
Striiv believes helping others is core to improving yourself. That's why the company created a walkathon in every Striiv device that counts your steps and gives to a preferred charity based on your movement. At no cost to you, Striiv and corporate partners donate on your behalf. Just walk, earn, and plug into your PC to donate. It's that simple. You have the choice of three charities; providing clean water to families in South America, polio vaccines, or helping to save the rainforest. The more you walk, the more you give. It couldn't be easier.

Motivating You to Get Fit
Striiv is a personal trainer in your pocket. A lightweight, little car-key-sized device that you slip onto your key chain, belt, purse, or pocket, Striiv is designed to get you moving and to enhance your health and fitness. Through a built-in charitable (at no cost to you) walkathon program, games, and challenges, Striiv pushes you to move more throughout each day.

Walking Can Change Your Life Finding time to go to the gym is tough and spending $100 an hour for a personal trainer is way too expensive. Not to mention, the great food we eat during the holidays (and year round) makes keeping the weight off seem impossible. But there's a simple solution: walking. In addition to the benefits of weight loss, leading studies show that walking 30 minutes a day dramatically reduces the risk of heart disease, stroke, and diabetes.
Striiv Gets You To Walk... A Lot.

The average Striiv user walks 3 miles a day for 60 minutes--that's almost double the national average. The secret to Striiv's ability to motivate is simple: utilize highly addictive applications built around your movement and you will move more. Striiv was designed by a team of expert game developers who created some of the most popular games on the phone and PC today. Because people are motivated in different ways, Striiv motivates you to move with four unique motivators.

Give to Charity
Striiv counts your steps and applies them to helping others. At no cost to you, Striiv and corporate partners donate on your behalf. Just walk, earn, and plug into your PC to donate. Its that simple. You have the choice of 3 charities - donating water to a cities in South America, polio vaccines, and savings trees in a rainforest. The more you walk, the more you give.

Play Games
Myland is a game designed for non-gamers. The concept is simple--make an addictively fun game powered by walking and you will walk more. You start with an uninhabited island. Your goal is to bring back the animals that inhabit the island by planting trees and building huts. The only catch is that growth and new levels are based on your activity. Its simple, fun, and motivating.

Take Challenges
Select a challenge, wager your energy (earned from taking steps), and push yourself farther than you thought possible. Striiv's time-based challenges are designed to keep you motivated, so you can bet on yourself and win.

Chart Your Progress
Striiv sets customized goals based on your level of activity. Charts and graphs allow you to improve against your personal best over weeks and months.

Striiv.jpg

Replies

• OpenHeaven
    OpenHeaven Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Hmmm....never heard of it, but now I am intrigued!!! =) If you get one, let me know how you like it!! :happy:
  • blueeyedcristi
    blueeyedcristi Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Never heard of it but reminds me of the Fitbit.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,604 Member
    Options
    Walking is a great way to START exercise, but does nothing to help retain lean muscle you already have (unless you're walking up some steep *kitten* inclines). Loss of lean muscle, which usually happens with cardio only programs, leads to lower metabolic rates faster than if you had a good strength training program accompanying this one.
    By all means, if it helps you to get started with exercise, then get it. But don't let it be your only form of exercise.

A.C.E. Certified Personal & Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ArtCamp555
    ArtCamp555 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been using the Striiv a couple of months now and started using MyFitnessPal at the beginning of this month. Striiv is a wonderful motivator. And just to clarify, the Striiv can differentiate between walking, running, and climbing stair equivalents (which just means you get credit whether you are walking up a stairway or up a steep incline). I find myself looking at my numbers several times a day in order to get the next trophy, win the next challenge, or meet the next charity goal. I thought the built in game (very Farmville-ish) was stupid at first, but somewhere along the line, I got addicted. I wish Striiv had more of an online portal where I could see my "all-time" stats. The device only graphs the last 30 days. I also wish I could upload my records into MyFitnessPal more easily. I currently choose "walking" as the activity in MFP, then replace the minutes and calorie count with the info from Striiv. I can definitely recommend the Striiv despite it's limitations. The benefits definitely outweigh the challenges.
  • hlshubert
    hlshubert Posts: 45
    Options
    I never heard of it either - but it sounds awesome!
  • hysonmb
    hysonmb Posts: 1
    Options
    I just read about it this morning on Fitbie and bought one at Best Buy this afternoon.
    I've been using a Fitbit for a while now but the Striiv already feels more motivating with the way it gives quickly attainable goals as challenges on the screen. Each time you complete one there's another just a few more steps away.
    The only downfall about it so far is that it's not as tiny as a Fitbit but that may prove to be a non-issue. I'm going to give it a while before deciding which to stick with or maybe even keep going with both since Fitbit has more integrated options like this site and my Withings scale.
  • karthurs1
    karthurs1 Posts: 15
    Options
    @ubae - be sure to upgrade to the new 1.2 release and create your my.striiv.com account. We are growing the MyStriiv website and we will have many more features: community and around viewing all your data in coming weeks/months

- Striiv
  • bmacholiday
    bmacholiday Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Never heard of it until now, but it sounds interesting.
  • macgeekgrl
    macgeekgrl Posts: 3
    Options
    I got my Striiv on Tuesday, and I've walked more in the last 2 days than I think I ever have. It really is a great little device, and I've got high hopes that it's only going to get better!! :-)
  • hummingbird314
    hummingbird314 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I ordered my on Amazon and it should be here tomorrow. I can't wait to get started with it.
  • theesfield
    theesfield Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    On a totally random impulse buy, I bought a striiv today. I have been waivering about a fitbit for several months now. I came across tiiv at Bestbuy, read that it has games. Games!?! That is right up my alley! As a die hard sim player, I think Striiv is speaking my language! So, I just synced it to my computer and put it on just a few mins ago and went for a walk. Of course I am going to walk...I have to create my virtual land with all my energy points :) We will see how fun this is!