Eating Healthily :'(

Options
Hi,

Although I've singificantly upped my exercise and lowered my daily calorie intake, I'm still not eating GOOD foods.

I'm kind of just eating less, but still bad foods, for the most part.

I think I feel as though if I try and eat healthier I'll just end up giving up altogether because I won't like it?!

I live with my family so there is a lot of crisps/chocolate/biscuits etc. to try and keep away from..

Can anyone reccommend some healthy snacks to keep me away from the bad foods that are abundant in my household?

Replies

• mollymasm
    mollymasm Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Also, I want my food habits to change FOR LIFE, so I don't want to cut out everything forever!
  • djmauck
    djmauck Posts: 18
    Options
    They may not be as healthy as regular, whole foods, but I have Atkins daybreak bars, which are certainly higher in fiber and protein and have less sugar than regular sweets. Fruit is good too - a nice fruit salad with lots of melon is good, and if you combine it with a lean protein like a glass of skim milk it will help keep you full. Nonfat Greek yogurt (plain) with berries is also really nice, or an apple with some cottage cheese or a piece of light string cheese. Snacking on veggies is good, too, but for me that's really hard since I don't like vegetables, and it's tough to force myself to get down enough baby carrots to feel full. I can manage if they're dipped in hummus, though.

You won't have to cut out your favorite sweets forever, but I found that when I switched to healthier snacks I felt fuller and more energized all day, as opposed to when I ate junk food and ended up getting very hungry just a couple hours afterwards. Once you get in the habit, you'll find yourself actually wanting to eat more healthy foods on a regular basis.
  • rhe276
    rhe276 Posts: 46
    Options
    i am in the same boat as you because i generally dont enjoy foods that are 'healthy'. for me it is about portion control and making sure my foods are cooked in a healthy manner (grilled or oven). Dont beat your self up too much because this is working for me. If i fancy a low cal snack i go for for the smaller chocolate bars. Kitkats are only 107 cals for example. hope you feel better
  • icandoit203
    icandoit203 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Well you can try the 100 calorie packs (almonds), avocado, boiled eggs, fruit ( apple,banana, berries, grapes, oranges, etc you get the picture) also are you drinking enough water half your body weight and more if you exercise. pb with celery or on an apple, i usually eat tuna the prepackaged or in the can with some salsa, as a snack when i need something right away. it's various options but these are some ideas
  • tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I keep almonds (roasted with sea salt) around so that when everyone is eating salty foods, I can eat something salty too.
  • imthelobster
    imthelobster Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of just eating less, but still bad foods, for the most part.

What kind of foods are you calling bad? You could always make 'bad' foods better by cooking them yourself. (Cheeseburgers/tacos/pizza/etc.) There are usually a lot of good substitutes for making the so-called 'bad' foods healthy, but still taste sinful!
  • mollymasm
    mollymasm Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    When I say eating 'bad' I mean, I'm eating the same foods I was before...an example day of food for me would be like:

Breakfast: Muller corner yoghurt
    Lunch: something like a chicken mayo sandwhich, white bread
    Dinner: Big portion of something like Lasagne, Sunday Roast...etc.
    Snacks: A packet of crisps or a chocolate bar
    Drinks: 1 diet coke, water.

But I feel like I should just be eating BETTER.
  • kristyvoo
    Options
    Almonds, pistachios, sunflower seeds...all of these are great snacks! Good healthy fats and some fiber and protein too! :))
  • GetFitE
    GetFitE Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    When I first started my weight loss journey, I just took everything I enjoyed and found a "better" alternative. I have a BIG sweet tooth, so I loved things like ice cream, oreos, crackers, cookies, etc... So I just made healthier alternatives for the things I love: switched to 100% whole wheat bread, got fresh deli meat for sandwiches; used a lower calorie mayo (Made with olive oil), and my best friends were the 100 Calorie snack packs. And would pack fruits to eat with my lunch and for snacks. Also, some people say they are extremely bad for you, but I chose lean cuisines as well...

Over time I just learned to portion control and started craving the healthier items... It worked for me then and I was continuing to lose weight as long as I worked out and stayed under my calorie goal, so it's just a suggestion.
  • imthelobster
    imthelobster Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    When I say eating 'bad' I mean, I'm eating the same foods I was before...an example day of food for me would be like:

Breakfast: Muller corner yoghurt
    Lunch: something like a chicken mayo sandwhich, white bread
    Dinner: Big portion of something like Lasagne, Sunday Roast...etc.
    Snacks: A packet of crisps or a chocolate bar
    Drinks: 1 diet coke, water.

But I feel like I should just be eating BETTER.

Change the white bread to whole wheat bread, for dinner just make sure you're using healthier recipes? Nuts/fruits/etc like everyone else suggested are great alternatives for snacks.

I think it's all just a matter of tricking your brain into thinking that you're eating the same things, while making the same things with healthy alternatives. Good luck!