Eggs

Options
I have been eating eggs for breakfast a lot lately. I either buy the liquid egg whites or use a whole large egg and a large egg white. When others eat eggs do they do the liquid or whole eggs? Why? Just curious which is better for you etc....

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    IMHO, whole foods are always better than food someone else processed. What are the added ingredients to creat shelf stabiltiy in the liquid eggs and how do you feel about ingesting preservatives?
  • dancingj2
    dancingj2 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I prefer to eat "real" food rather than processed when I can. So its one whole egg, either fried or hard boiled when I have them for breakfast.
  • daycathy
    daycathy Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I personally mix the both together, so then you aren't wasting the yoke of the other egg just for the egg white. I can't tell a difference in them,
  • Tangerine16
    Tangerine16 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    When I have the urge to eat eggs, I will eat 2 or 3 whole ones, soft-boiled, with a teaspoon of real butter. It's very satisfying!

14363700.png
  • EBFNP
    EBFNP Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I just switched to egg whites only substitute. I was eating sometimes 4 eggs a day, and long term it may affect my cholesterol and arteries. Its a personal choice. The regular eggs obviously taste better, but I think the fat content and cholesterol in regular eggs has more pitfalls.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I just switched to egg whites only substitute. I was eating sometimes 4 eggs a day, and long term it may affect my cholesterol and arteries. Its a personal choice. The regular eggs obviously taste better, but I think the fat content and cholesterol in regular eggs has more pitfalls.

For the record, with the exception of a small % of the population, there is little to no relationship between dietary cholesterol and serum cholesterol. There are tons of nutrients in whole eggs that are not there in just the whites. I understand your choice and the reasons but would respectfully suggest that what you are giving up is not worth the percieved gain unless you struggle with obesity, high triglyserides and a history of high cholesterol in your family. Eggs are a great source of HDL cholesterol which is very beneficial to heart health.
  • BiscuitsNDavy
    BiscuitsNDavy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I try to eat 5 or more eggs a day. My record was 13.5 in one day LOL
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Liquid eggs are way out of my price range. 6 eggs is one carton. And I'd eat a carton a day. They cost about $5 or $6 a carton. Eggs cost about $2 or $3 for a dozen. You do the math. If you don't care about price, then go for convenience. But, I enjoy making real food. The less touched and processed it is, the more I am apt to enjoy it.
  • strawberrie_milk
    strawberrie_milk Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I eat the whole egg! Gotta get my fats in :)
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I eat the whole egg! Gotta get my fats in :)

^^^This.
  • Denjo060
    Denjo060 Posts: 1,008
    Options
    I eat egg beaters but I add cheese usually fat free I get my healthy fats from other sources I use a lot of olive oil to cook
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    I eat the "real" egg. Love cracking the shell!
  • korsicash
    korsicash Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I am not a fan of the liquid eggs I think they taste funny. With that said I hate the taste of yolk as well and it kinda grosses me out so I always only eat egg whites and only if I don't put too much thought into it. On a TMI note I was hard boiling a dozen of them to color with my 3 yr old last night and well I heard what sounded like fast chirping coming from the pot. I looked and freaked and it turns out that one had a crack and as the pot was boiling it was emitting a whistle that through the bubbles came out as a chirp. Still I am not eating even one of those. Even funnier was his disappointed face when he cracked one open and to his dismay there weren't any jelly beans....kind of the way we all feel when they aren't any jelly beans in our healthy foods :)
  • tofindmyselfprettyagain
    Options
    I use real eggs, but depending on my fat content for the day, I only use the whites and throw away the yolk. It's really easy to separate them using the shell.
  • PHS7
    PHS7 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I eat a little of both. Had an egg white omelet for breakfast (easy to separate the yolk) and I had a hard-boiled one in my salad at lunch. I need to watch the cholesterol so I go more for the protein in egg whites.
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    For the record, with the exception of a small % of the population, there is little to no relationship between dietary cholesterol and serum cholesterol. There are tons of nutrients in whole eggs that are not there in just the whites. I understand your choice and the reasons but would respectfully suggest that what you are giving up is not worth the percieved gain unless you struggle with obesity, high triglyserides and a history of high cholesterol in your family. Eggs are a great source of HDL cholesterol which is very beneficial to heart health.

^^ THIS!!!
  • usernamekelly1
    usernamekelly1 Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I have protein pancakes most mornings, I use real eggs. I use 1 full egg, 3 whites. If I think that day that my planned food will not have enough fat / calories in I may do 2 whole eggs instead. I use the yolks from some of the eggs, as they are a great source of vitamins and minerals.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options

Good post, but just want to clarify that there is no actual HDL in the cholesterol in eggs, it's just cholesterol. The fat in eggs is what influenences our HDL and LDL levels and in that respect eating eggs will have an effect on those levels and like all saturated fats will increase HDL generally speaking.
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Whole eggs all the way! I don't watch my fat macro, and I don't believe eating eggs makes your cholestrol higher for most people. I usually have them soft or hard-boiled with some kosher salt and pepper. Sometimes a tiny bit of olive oil.
  • masonjessica11162007
    Options
    2 whole Hard boiled eggs every morning.