Running during Pregnancy

blakfar
blakfar Posts: 4
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello everyone. I have been using this site for quite a while now, but, I haven't really used the message board before. I just found out that I am pregnant!

I am a runner. I run about 7.3 km in 35 minutes 5 times a week and then on the weekend I do a less intense run. I'm just wondering if there are any women who continued to run while they were pregnant? Is it safe for the baby?

Replies

• sallyah13
    sallyah13 Posts: 44 Member
    My dr. always told me that I could continue to run as long as it was comfortable and as long as there was not any complications. It usually wasn't very long before it always felt like my bladder was going to explode! then I just switched to walking.
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Hello everyone. I have been using this site for quite a while now, but, I haven't really used the message board before. I just found out that I am pregnant!

I am a runner. I run about 7.3 km in 35 minutes 5 times a week and then on the weekend I do a less intense run. I'm just wondering if there are any women who continued to run while they were pregnant? Is it safe for the baby?

I ran up until about 38 weeks-- I got a belly support thingie from Babies R Us, and never stopped.

I think the general rule is not to start anything new, but if your body is already used to it, go for it-- it's good for you, and won't harm the baby.

Best part is you'll get back into shape quickly after the birth--

Don't stop-- keep going and enjoy--
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Runner's World has tons of stuff about this that I've read.

If you are already an established runner, you should be fine.

Here's some good info:

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238---1139-0,00.html
  • blakfar
    blakfar Posts: 4
    Thanks for the info everyone!
  • RunRideRay
    RunRideRay Posts: 1,536 Member
    My wife ran to term with both of our children

Be careful and don't push it.

Run with someone if you can (that was me!) it's great to have a support person

Watch your step too. My wife was always stumbling on sidewalks and curbs due to the weight shift.

She recovered very fast from the pregnancy too and was super strong for delivery (what a trooper!)

BUT..... it was all easy for me :happy: :happy: Kids turned out great too, 5 and 9 with no tattoes, jail time, piercings, etc..... But serious, both kids are super healthy which is a major blessing.

Raymond
  • Philde04
    Philde04 Posts: 160
    Great post!!! I have just started running and have been wondering if I would be able to continue when I get pregnant again!!!
This discussion has been closed.