Ground beef recipes please!!

Options
2»

Replies

• PinkShoes
    PinkShoes Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    Here is a recipe that I found on www.cookinglight.com. I'm making it this week for the first time but it looks really yummy!
    I'm using low sodium tomato juice and canned tomatoes to cut down on the sodium a little more. Also, I'm using whole wheat pasta.

Nonnie's Spaghini Stick-to-Your-Ribs Soup
    Yield: 13 servings (serving size: 1 1/2 cups)

Nutritional Information
    Calories: 163 (10% from fat)
    Fat: 1.9g (sat 0.6g,mono 0.6g,poly 0.4g)
    Protein: 14.7g
    Carbohydrate: 22.8g
    Fiber: 3.3g
    Cholesterol: 19mg
    Iron: 3.4mg
    Sodium: 625mg
    Calcium: 59mg

Ingredients:
    •1 pound lean ground beef
    •5 cups water
    •4 cups chopped green cabbage (about 1 pound)
    •3 1/2 cups tomato juice
    •1 tablespoon dried oregano
    •1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
    •1 teaspoon salt
    •1 1/2 teaspoons pepper
    •1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
    •3 (15-ounce) cans kidney beans, drained
    •3 (14.5-ounce) cans whole tomatoes, undrained and chopped
    •2 (14 1/4-ounce) cans no-salt-added beef broth
    •8 ounces uncooked angel hairpasta

Preparation:
    Cook the ground round in a large Dutch oven over medium heat until browned, stirring to crumble. Drain the meat in a colander, and set meat aside. Wipe the drippings from pan with a paper towel.
    Return meat to pan. Add water and the next 10 ingredients (water through broth), and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
    Break pasta in half; stir into soup, and cook an additional 5 minutes or until the pasta is done.

Also, when I have an ingredient that I want to use, I go to a recipe website and put the ingredient name in its search box. This is really helpful when I have something that I need to use up!

133914.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Online Calorie Counter
  • tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    Wow so many great idea's i really didn't know there was so many different kinds of ways to make ground beef!!! thank you all so much :flowerforyou:
  • cdickey
    cdickey Posts: 230
    Options
    I made this over the weekend and it was a great hit with my family. It gets better everyday that you warm it up to.

Nonnie's Spaghini Stick-to-Your-Ribs Soup
    Yield: 13 servings (serving size: 1 1/2 cups)

Nutritional Information
    Calories: 163 (10% from fat)
    Fat: 1.9g (sat 0.6g,mono 0.6g,poly 0.4g)
    Protein: 14.7g
    Carbohydrate: 22.8g
    Fiber: 3.3g
    Cholesterol: 19mg
    Iron: 3.4mg
    Sodium: 625mg
    Calcium: 59mg

Ingredients:
    •1 pound lean ground beef
    •5 cups water
    •4 cups chopped green cabbage (about 1 pound)
    •3 1/2 cups tomato juice
    •1 tablespoon dried oregano
    •1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
    •1 teaspoon salt
    •1 1/2 teaspoons pepper
    •1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
    •3 (15-ounce) cans kidney beans, drained
    •3 (14.5-ounce) cans whole tomatoes, undrained and chopped
    •2 (14 1/4-ounce) cans no-salt-added beef broth
    •8 ounces uncooked angel hairpasta

Preparation:
    Cook the ground round in a large Dutch oven over medium heat until browned, stirring to crumble. Drain the meat in a colander, and set meat aside. Wipe the drippings from pan with a paper towel.
    Return meat to pan. Add water and the next 10 ingredients (water through broth), and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
    Break pasta in half; stir into soup, and cook an additional 5 minutes or until the pasta is done.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    If you haven't tried them try the meatloaf muffins...they are the :explode:
  • rabbit45
    rabbit45 Posts: 36
    Options
    Chili! I just made a great one from the Fresh Food Fast cookbook, but you could search in any recipe website and find lots to choose from.
  • creativefrugalmom
    creativefrugalmom Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    This came from my mom when I was growing up. When we are short on time I make this sometimes:

Goulash:

1 lb lean ground beef
    1 can spaghetti sauce
    1 - 2 cans mixed vegetables
    Elbow macaroni (optional)
    Spices (optional as well and are to taste)
    Garlic powder
    Seasoning Salt
    Pepper
    Chili powder
    Cumin

Brown the ground beef and cook the macaroni if you are going to add it. Once the meat and macaroni are done, mix it all together and let it simmer about 10 - 15 minutes and it's ready to serve.
  • linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Here's a casserole that I've loved since I was a kid:

1 1/2 lb ground beef
    1/2 box pasta noodles such as farfalle, elbow noodles, rotini, or shells
    1 green pepper
    1 bottle of pasta sauce
    8 slices of cheese

Brown the ground beef and parboil the noodles (only cook them for half the time it says on the box or they will get soggy in the casserole). Mix in the ground beef, noodles, past sauce, and chopped green pepper in a casserole dish. Once mixed, use a spatula to lift up some of the meat mix and put 4 slices of cheese underneath the mixture around the dish. cover and bake for about 40-50 minutes. Then put the remainin cheese on top. Great because there are always leftovers, plus you can use different types of cheeses (I like to use pepperjack every once and a while) and pastas to change it up. Enjoy!:happy:
  • SaraWo24
    SaraWo24 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Wow! All of these recipes sound delicious! Do you think I could substitute bread crumbs if I don't have any Saltines? If so, how much do you think I should use?
  • mavsfan2009
    mavsfan2009 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    all of those sound AWESOME!
  • Tim964
    Tim964 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    How about gyros? I think the original recipe said to use ground beef, ground lamb, or a combo of the two. I always just use ground beef. These are great for something a little different.

Beef Gyro

• 1 lb lean ground beef
    • 2 cloves garlic (crushed)
    • 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano (crushed)
    • 1 teaspoon onion powder
    • 1 teaspoon Morton’s lite salt
    • 1/2 teaspoon pepper

Directions

1. Combine ingredients in a bowl, and shape into 1/2 inch thick oval patties.
    2. Broil 8-10 minutes until no longer pink.
    3. Slice thinly and serve on pita bread

I use La Tortilla Factory low carb / low fat tortillasinstead of the pita. The tortillas have only 50 calories each and lots of fiber!. Top with sliced tomatoes, chopped green onion, and cucumber yogurt sauce.

Cucumber Yogurt Sauce

• 8 ounces plain Greek yogurt (I usually use either low fat or fat free sour cream instead. The sauce is thinner, but stil good!)
    • 1/3 cup shredded cucumber (try not to get the seeds)
    • 2 tablespoons finely chopped green onions
    • 2 garlic cloves, crushed
    • 1 teaspoon splenda
    • salt and pepper to taste

Directions

1. Wrap shredded or finely chopped cucumber in a dish towel and squeeze to remove as much liquid as possible
    2. Combine all ingredients and serve (best if it sits for a bit to let flavors marry – for best flavor, make this the day before you plan to serve it)
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it's been posted here already, but someone suggested this to me and it was fantastic! I'm not sure of the calorie counts, you'd want to look them up.

ground beef (I used turkey though)
    corn
    cream of mushroom soup
    mushrooms (I love mushrooms and add them to everything)

Mix all that together, put into casserole dish.

Cover casserole dish with tator tots. (I used tator tot "crowns" that I found.... like tator tots but cut in half, so they were thinner.)

Bake at 375 or 400 until it looks done..... 35 or 40 minutes maybe? (I am so not a cook)

Sprinkle with shredded cheese, bake a couple more minutes.

Voila!!

DISCLAIMER: I am not a cook. I don't pretend to be. This is my "recipe". Take it for what it's worth!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • oregonlady
    oregonlady Posts: 2,743 Member
    Options
    bump:flowerforyou:

plus, i want to put in my vote for "meatloaf muffins"
    :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
  • allisontaylor
    Options
    For chili, I use the ground beef, black beans, kidney beans, red and green pepper, corn, and onion. Lots of beans and veggies make it a great choice! I also love tacos/burritos/quesadillas with ground beef and pinto beans mixed together. Add some spices like cumin, chili powder, garlic, paprica, pepper, and/or salsa...and voila! I also think burgers are actually a healthy choice - IF you use a low calorie whole wheat bun, and add lettuce, tomato, and onion. Sloppy Joes too! Another idea is a modified cheese steak of sorts: ground beef, sauteed mushrooms/onions/peppers (all seasoned with garlic, salt, pepper, oregano, etc.). Fill half of a whole wheat pita and melt a slice of low fat provolone cheese on top. With the added veggies, the meat goes farther and so do the calories!
  • mommyskis
    mommyskis Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Family Favorite Cheeseburger Pasta - from Heathy Cooking magazine

1 1/2 cups uncooked whole wheat penne pasta
    3/4 lb. beef
    2 Tbsp. finely chopped onion
    1 can diced tomatoes
    2 Tbsp. pickle relish
    2 Tbsp. mustard
    2 Tbsp. ketchup
    1 tsp steak seasoning
    1/4 tsp. seasoned salt
    3/4 cup reduced-fat shredded cheddar

Cook pasta. In a skillet, brown beef and onion, drain. Drain pasta and add to skillet. Stir in the rest of the ingredients. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 5 min. Sprinkle with cheese, remove from heat, cover and let stand until cheese is melted. Garnish with green onions if desired.

It's already in the food data base, but is 391 calories for 1 1/2 cups. My husband and 2 little boys love, love, love this. It makes 4 servings, but that is barely enough because everyone likes it so much.
  • Nikki143
    Nikki143 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Made meatloaf muffins last night... DEEEE_LISHHH! & I made the pizza english muffins too, DEEEE-LISSHHH also!! Thankss!@!!