Dark chocolate brownies w/pumpkin & strawberries?

Options
domsmoms
domsmoms Posts: 174 Member
Does anyone have an exact recipe for dark chocolate brownies (mix, not from scratch) with pumpkin and strawberries? I briefly heard it mentioned on Dr. Oz (as a way to stop cravings, which I'm skeptical about, but I'd like brownies). But I've googled a bit and can't seem to find an exact recipe.

I believe I substitute one 15 oz can of pumpkin for the oil, but do I still add the eggs? And how much strawberry do I add?

I am terrible at improvising recipes, or at least it terrifies me to try, so please help!

Replies

• theoriginaljayne
    theoriginaljayne Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I don't know the recipe -- but it sounds really, really good, and I will definitely be stalking this thread to see if it turns up.
  • jnhu72
    jnhu72 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure of your exact recipe, because I have never heard of it, but Hungry Girl has brownie muffins http://www.hungry-girl.com/newsletters/raw/367 and peanut butter fudge (pb, brownie mix and pumpkin) http://www.hungry-girl.com/newsletters/raw/654. I have not made the muffins, but I have made the PB fudge, it comes out like a really moist brownie and taste amazing. I have made it twice once with regular pb in place of the one in the recipe and once with PB2-powdered pb.
  • LWeiler82
    LWeiler82 Posts: 40
    Options
    I tried a Hungry Girl recipe for Brownie Muffins and all it had in it was one can of pureed pumpkin and one box of devil's food cake mix. Mix the two together (it will be very, very thick but don't add anything to thin it out) and bake in the oven for 20 minutes at 400 degrees in a 12 cup muffin pan either lined with muffin liners or sprayed with cooking spray. Super yummy! Very chocolatey!
  • TluvK
    TluvK Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I also don't know the exact recipe you're referring to, but to answer your question about the pumpkin - it is meant to replace all of the wet ingredients. Just mix the box contents with one can of pumpkin and you're set. Now, I imagine you can just add in chopped fresh strawberries - they shouldn't add too much moisture, but just to be safe, maybe cut down on your pumpkin a bit to make up for it. Good luck - yum!
  • pearlymae
    pearlymae Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Just go to droz.com, you wlll find all his recipes. I made brownies with box mix just added 15 oz. pumkin, I added a few chopped walnuts, sharred with some friends, they loved them. I will also check Dr. Oz, good luck, hope this hped.:flowerforyou:
  • klakers3
    klakers3 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Adding pumpkin to anything, especially brownies sounds delicious! I'll have to look on the Dr. Oz website that someone suggested as well as browse through Hungry Girl recipes again. :)
  • ChelleDT
    ChelleDT Posts: 23
    Options
    I also saw that on Dr Oz yesterdays' show. I could not find the recipe on his site. I think he just talked about it.

I DID however find this one. Very similar, but peanut butter instead of the strawberries.
    http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/pumpkin-brownies

No oil or eggs, just the can of pumpkin & the brownie mix. I'm gonna chop up strawberries pretty small & mix it in.
    It sounds so yummy, it's worth a try!!
  • ChelleDT
    ChelleDT Posts: 23
    Options
    Trying to cut & paste it (the pumpkin & peanut butter brownie recipe)

Pumpkin Brownies
    Added to Recipes on Thu 11/17/2011

Ingredients

1 (15 oz) can puréed pumpkin
    2 tsp lemon zest
    1 box of brownie mix
    3 tbsp peanut butter, softened in microwave

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Grease an 8x8 baking pan.

In a large bowl, stir together the pumpkin puree and lemon zest

Mix in the brownie mix – just the box mix, no eggs or oil – and combine well. It will be a rather thick batter. Spread the batter evenly into the baking pan. Put the peanut butter in the microwave for about 30 seconds to soften it. Top the batter in the pan with dollops of peanut butter. You can draw a knife through the dough and peanut butter to create a design. Bake for 25- 30 minutes. Let cool before cutting.
  • domsmoms
    Options
    Thanks, all, for the advice, and other ideas! I did see the pumpkin & pb recipe too, will try that one sometime too.

Tluvk, just to double check, do you think I should also leave the water out of the mix if I add the pumpkin? I understand it would definitely replace the oil and egg, but the water too? I think this is what you mean, but I like to be certain. :)

It does annoy me that Dr. Oz did not put the exact recipe up on his site!
  • TluvK
    TluvK Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Thanks, all, for the advice, and other ideas! I did see the pumpkin & pb recipe too, will try that one sometime too.

Tluvk, just to double check, do you think I should also leave the water out of the mix if I add the pumpkin? I understand it would definitely replace the oil and egg, but the water too? I think this is what you mean, but I like to be certain. :)

Yep! Just the box and the pumpkin!
  • domsmoms
    Options

Yep! Just the box and the pumpkin!

Thanks!!
  • catio23
    catio23 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    You might need a little bit of water - 1/4 cup or so - if it seems too thick. But it's delicious! Spice cake is good w/pumpkin, too.
  • terri0527
    terri0527 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I tried a Hungry Girl recipe for Brownie Muffins and all it had in it was one can of pureed pumpkin and one box of devil's food cake mix. Mix the two together (it will be very, very thick but don't add anything to thin it out) and bake in the oven for 20 minutes at 400 degrees in a 12 cup muffin pan either lined with muffin liners or sprayed with cooking spray. Super yummy! Very chocolatey!

Made this yesterday for dessert..but instead of using muffin pans, I used a 8x8 baking dish for brownies and it was great! They were just a little gooey in the middle but that's the way my family likes their brownies anyway. Super yummy! :happy:
  • domsmoms
    Options
    You might need a little bit of water - 1/4 cup or so - if it seems too thick. But it's delicious! Spice cake is good w/pumpkin, too.

Thanks for that advice too! Hoping to make these by this weekend, or at least ON the weekend. It's not like brownies from a mix are hard... :P
  • JoanAnnRS
    JoanAnnRS Posts: 2
    Options
    I have been waiting to try this recipe myself and began looking for the exact recipe like yourself. I have not been able to find it. This is what I have found and will try it on Sunday.

I have the brownie mix from Trader Joes' Fresh strawberries, 1 pound diced as small as possible and 15 oz size of canned pumpkin. Mix everything together, these three items and pop in the oven to cook.

I also get annoyed that Dr. Oz website is not friendly to his audience. Let me know if anyone has tried this. I will report back on Sunday afternoon. Giants are on. Time to sign out.
  • anne10001
    Options
    Guys, I have been making this on a regular basis. I use the giriendelli dark chocolate brownie mix with 1 cup diced strawberries and 3/4 to one cup of canned pumpkin or even cooked squash. The brownies come out very gooey (if you like them that way, and don't bake them very long), or bake them a little longer and they will be somewhat moist but not gooey. In any case, they are delicious and you cannot tell you altered the recipe! (you don't have to add the water or the egg that the box calls for)
  • tz2187
    tz2187 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • karenbethrn
    karenbethrn Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I wonder why this cuts cravings...