Need a Paleo Dessert Recipe

Options

Replies

• kajpen
    kajpen Posts: 120 Member
    Options

What makes people that follow this "diet" think our ancestors had any of this stuff.

It's not that our ancestors ate any of this stuff, but we have a LOT of stuff (houses, electricity, computers, doctors, cars, etc) that our ancestors didn't have.

To me, eating a paleo lifestyle is great and I try to eat as healthy as possible 90% of the time, but let's face it, we AREN'T living in paleolithic times anymore. The premise of the eating lifestyle is about eating unprocessed whole foods (fresh fruits, veggies, and proteins). But even our ancestors had sweet tooths and loved fruits when they could be found. In my opinion it's about eating as healthy as possible 90% of the time and the other 10% indulging a little. But even the indulgences can be fairly clean with not adding a ton of overly processed, sugar laden foods into the recipes.

Right so call it something different. I love the aspects of the diet, its great. Just dont call it paleo becuase it is not even close to a paleolithic diet.

Actually, I agree with you on this. I don't really label my eating except to say that I try to eat as clean as possible. I stumbled onto the paleo diet after I found out that I was gluten intolerant (celiac). It helped me change my thinking about food and gives me some great recipes, but I don't go overboard with it. :-)
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Correct me i I am wrong... but isn't the paleo diet about eating what isn't processed (man made) foods?

Because I never seen a "rum tree" or an "almond flour tree" or any type of "flour" tree...

:huh: You mean to tell me that you don't think that they used stones to grind things into a flour?

Good grief. Its a lot healthier to follow Paleo/Primal diet than the effing HCG/VLCD.. cut people SOME slack.
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    what's Paleo?

It's a fad diet where people try to eat what our ancestors in Paleolithic times would eat. So only meats, fruits, vegetables, and nuts. The theory is that cavemen were healhier than us because they ate this way. However, cavemen only lived into their 30's and were skinny because they had to run down animals and gather all their food. Plus, our digestive systems have evolved to allow dairy, legumes, and wheat products so while it is undoubtedly a healthy way of eating, it's not based on scientific fact. Plus, I'm pretty sure cavemen were not eating lemon bars and chocolate pudding. Just sayin'.

Perhaps you should do some research before posting. The theory behind the diet is really whole foods in as natural a state as possible. No added sugars, wheat and other things that are genearlly not tolerated well by the human body. It is NOT as restrictive as people make it out to be, and while many people on this site will bash it to hell and back, they are the same types that view veganism as healthy, which is much more restricive in nature... The fact that you can barely buy anything in the grocery store without sugar, wheat, soy protein or other things in products that they have no business being in should be alarming to everyone, not just those that eat this way.

Secondly cavemen were healthier. Anthropologic evidence shows that people in that era, unless they died in childhood from what at the time was normal mortality rates, injury or war normally went on to live long lives well past 30. The average age of humans actually DROPPED to around 30ish when agriculture started to take hold and humans started to eat grains. You can see the evolution of our species going from tall, obviously robust specimens with generally no markers for modern diseases and great teeth to short, squat, toothless early-dying people.

Third, the digestive tract of humans has not had proper time to evolve to accept grains and legumes well. Some people tolerate them with less outward side effects than others, but most are intolerant at least minimally. In a lifespan of millions of years, we have only been eating such food for about 10,000 of that. This is also evidenced by the increasing diagnosis of celiac, gluten intolerance, IBS, soy allergies and sensitivity, diabetes, etc. Oddly (not really) those types of diseases are reversable and controllable (some going away completely) when eating a paleo diet, or at the very least a low carb diet.

Fourth, OF COURSE cavemen didn't have f**king lemon bars and pudding.... but the ingredients that paleo cooks are using they DID have access to. Why do the haters love to focus on non-issues like this? So because someone is trying to eliminate modern processed junk you assume that they have to be eating bloody hunks of freshly killed meat all the time? There is nothing wrong with creating new dishes out of available foods as long as they are natural in nature and generally viewed as consumed by hunter gatherer groups.

Long story short, this site is full of and always will have haters...whatever, just annoying to see the same arguments posted ALL THE TIME when someone doesn't agree with the calories in vs. calories out crowd....though for some reason the vegetarians and vegans seem to get a free pass....
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you should do some research before posting. The theory behind the diet is really whole foods in as natural a state as possible. No added sugars, wheat and other things that are genearlly not tolerated well by the human body.

Maybe you should do some research as well

Secondly cavemen were healthier. Anthropologic evidence shows that people in that era, unless they died in childhood from what at the time was normal mortality rates, injury or war normally went on to live long lives well past 30. The average age of humans actually DROPPED to around 30ish when agriculture started to take hold and humans started to eat grains. You can see the evolution of our species going from tall, obviously robust specimens with generally no markers for modern diseases and great teeth to short, squat, toothless early-dying people.

Obviously it's because they didn't eat grains/legumes and dairy
    Third, the digestive tract of humans has not had proper time to evolve to accept grains and legumes well. Some people tolerate them with less outward side effects than others, but most are intolerant at least minimally. In a lifespan of millions of years, we have only been eating such food for about 10,000 of that. This is also evidenced by the increasing diagnosis of celiac, gluten intolerance, IBS, soy allergies and sensitivity, diabetes, etc. Oddly (not really) those types of diseases are reversable and controllable (some going away completely) when eating a paleo diet, or at the very least a low carb diet.

Stop lying

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC470712/?tool=pubmed
  • Phrak
    Phrak Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Correct me i I am wrong... but isn't the paleo diet about eating what isn't processed (man made) foods?

Because I never seen a "rum tree" or an "almond flour tree" or any type of "flour" tree...

:huh: You mean to tell me that you don't think that they used stones to grind things into a flour?

Good grief. Its a lot healthier to follow Paleo/Primal diet than the effing HCG/VLCD.. cut people SOME slack.

Last time i took almonds and a rock to make flour i ended up with almond butter. All that has to happen is stop calling it paleo. Its franken food only made possible with modern day technology.
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options

Last time i took almonds and a rock to make flour i ended up with almond butter.

Well then.. you did it too long. Sorry to hear that. :flowerforyou:
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options

I'm not a paleo hater but I do just want to say that it's only been in the last maybe 100 years that we've been able to diagnose such things. It's also in concurrence with the invention of fast food and crappy desserts that these things have been on the rise. I really don't think it's because of grains.
  • psisarah
    psisarah Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    what's Paleo?

It's a fad diet where people try to eat what our ancestors in Paleolithic times would eat. So only meats, fruits, vegetables, and nuts. The theory is that cavemen were healhier than us because they ate this way. However, cavemen only lived into their 30's and were skinny because they had to run down animals and gather all their food. Plus, our digestive systems have evolved to allow dairy, legumes, and wheat products so while it is undoubtedly a healthy way of eating, it's not based on scientific fact. Plus, I'm pretty sure cavemen were not eating lemon bars and chocolate pudding. Just sayin'.

They also didn't have hospitals or antibiotics either. We live longer because of modern medicine, not because people are eating dairy.
  • wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    **Yawn**

So sick of the Paleo discussions. I'll just call it Wanderinglight's Plan instead of Paleo so everyone doesn't freak out.

Wanderinglight's plan is...eat clean, as much as possible. Limited dairy and wheat because I have a hard time staying in control with those. No sugar because I'm addicted to it and I feel great without it and it was easier to cut it out altogether than to try and eat artificial sweeteners and junk. Every once in a while I have a splurge treat. I have never once thought about what a bunch of hairy old cavemen did a few thousand years ago, nor do I care. I certainly don't model my health on them.

Wanderinglight's Plan just so happens to dovetail with Paleo and Primal eating. Wanderinglight's plan may or may not be a fad, but it's working for me right here right now so I think I'll stick with it for a while.

Thanks for the recipes!
  • kajpen
    kajpen Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    **Yawn**

So sick of the Paleo discussions. I'll just call it Wanderinglight's Plan instead of Paleo so everyone doesn't freak out.

Wanderinglight's plan is...eat clean, as much as possible. Limited dairy and wheat because I have a hard time staying in control with those. No sugar because I'm addicted to it and I feel great without it and it was easier to cut it out altogether than to try and eat artificial sweeteners and junk. Every once in a while I have a splurge treat. I have never once thought about what a bunch of hairy old cavemen did a few thousand years ago, nor do I care. I certainly don't model my health on them.

Wanderinglight's Plan just so happens to dovetail with Paleo and Primal eating. Wanderinglight's plan may or may not be a fad, but it's working for me right here right now so I think I'll stick with it for a while.

Thanks for the recipes!

LOL... I second this post! :-)
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you should do some research before posting. The theory behind the diet is really whole foods in as natural a state as possible. No added sugars, wheat and other things that are genearlly not tolerated well by the human body.

Maybe you should do some research as well

Obviously it's because they didn't eat grains/legumes and dairy

Stop lying

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC470712/?tool=pubmed

Meh, haters gonna hate.

To suggest that the small amount of grains or sugars that ancient man ate are even on the same level...or quite frankly even the same PLANTS after agriculture and big business like ConAgra have gotten ahold of them is niave at best blindly ignorant at worst. We consume wheat and sugar on orders of magnitude more than any culture in history, and not shockingly appear to be in poorer health for no good reason than even those 100 years ago. If what we are consuming is healthy, and we have advances in medicine like we do, should anyone be sick.

Whatever, coming to MFP is like stepping into a logic blocking vortex.
  • Septlondon
    Septlondon Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    All I can say is that it works for me. I feel like I have been given my life back. I was sick and getting sicker. That being said, I am not obsessed, I am happy for people to do what ever works for them, but this is honestly the only 'diet' (and believe me at 60 I have tried more than a few) that makes me feel energetic, happy, focused, well, and NOT hungry....got to be happy with that. Oh, and I am loosing weight.
  • taxidermist15
    taxidermist15 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Silly question whats the difference between paleo/primal/ and clean eating(depending on your definition of clean)?

Isn't it all just eating foods that are whole and not processed?, stuff that doesn't come in plastic? eg veggies, meats, nuts?
  • Frankenbarbie01
    Frankenbarbie01 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    taxidermist...
    Paleo avoids foods such as: wheat and grains, dairy, legumes, sugars (in most forms, even honey and agave if you ar strict) soy products as well as processed foods. We choose to eat grass fed meats, eggs, veggies, fruit some seeds and nuts
    Primal type people tend to be a bit more flexible with including some dairy in their diets =)

great sites are Marksdailyapple.com & RobbWolf.com & Whole 30
    Cheers =)
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Oi.

What about raw vegan cupcake?
    http://www.fortheloveoffoodblog.com/2011/08/raw-chocolate-coconut-cupcakes-with.html

Tastes like heavenness. Of course, apparently if you used the internet to find the recipe you are not being paleo enough.
  • barbarella
    barbarella Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    You lost 120 lbs.???? :flowerforyou: :love: :drinker:

Yeah, WOW them big time and maybe they'll get on board??
  • kmiagia
    kmiagia Posts: 104
    Options
    You could grill up some peaches and bananas and serve them with chocolate custard!

Chocolate Custard

1 can coconut milk

1 cup dark chocolate chips

1 teaspoon cinnamon

A splash of rum (optional)

In a sauce pan, melt the chocolate chips into the coconut milk over medium low heat while stirring with a whisk. Add the cinnamon and the splash of rum. Pour the custard into small serving dishes and place in the fridge for at least 2 hours. Top with homemade whipped cream. If you do not want your kids to acquire a taste for liquor just yet, you can always pour half of the custard into serving dishes before you add the rum to the remaining half for grown ups! I am sure you can make this a million different ways so get creative and enjoy! Makes seven 1/4 cup servings – less if you serve in larger serving dishes.

holy moly that sounds goood
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    How about if you whipped heavy cream without sugar (schlag) and served it with fresh raspberries, blackberries, blueberries and strawberries?

I know Paleo is not "supposed" to have dairy, but it's very very low carb!
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    Ingredients:
    Dry
    1 cup almond meal
    1 cup ground pecans - I purchased bulk pecans and ground them in a food processor
    1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips - you can also use cacao nibs
    1/4 cup dried berries
    1/2 cup dried turkish apricots - chopped
    1/2 cup shredded coconut
    1 tsp. cinnamon

Wet
    1/4 cup coconut oil
    1 egg
    4 Tablespoons honey
    1/4 teaspoon vanilla

Preparation
    Preheat your oven to 350.
    Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl. In a separate bowl, combine all wet ingredients and mix well. Once, the wet ingredients are mixed really well, pour over the dry ingredients and mix.
    Place a heaping spoonful at a time of the mixture on a cookie sheet. You can oil the cookie sheet to prevent from sticking. This mixture should make about 10-12 cookies. Bake for about 8 to 10 minutes. Keep your eye on these, they bake quick.

I also throw in some 80% dark choco chips sometimes =)
  • chanson104
    chanson104 Posts: 859
    Options
    **Yawn**

Thanks for the recipes!
    I was planning on trying Paleo for 30 days starting next Tuesday, but now I think that I am going to do Wanderinglight's Plan instead! Thank you for sharing. :flowerforyou:

p.s. I don't understand why people get so concerned about the way that anyone else is eating or what they want to call it. Yawning with Wanderinglight :yawn:

p.s. (again) Thank you to all the people that posted constructive comments and great recipe ideas!