Running With Items?!

Options

Replies

• kjcorredora
    kjcorredora Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    For runs under 2 hours: no water, no snacks.
    For runs from 2 to 2.5 hours: water in 250cc bottle
    For runs over 2.5 hours: water, and small foil pouch with Jelly Bellies packed in it (it goes in the back pocket of my shorts).

Far more important than dragging nibbles around with you is learning to manage your meals/nutrition properly for the training runs you are doing.

I always carry my house keys in a wrist cuff. And a tissue (because I'm wicked allergic to my corner of South America at certain times of year). That's it.

Even though you're a young guy, it's worth remembering that stuff can go quite wrong at any time on a run.
    For that reason, I do always tell someone where I'm going.
    And for really long runs (3 hours and beyond), I leave my route up on Google Earth or gmaps pedometer so that my sig. other knows where to start looking for me if I don't get home within the planned time parameter of the run. (These happen on the weekend, so he's at home and can just look at the computer.)

I have run trail races and road races, and finished on podiums in both kinds. Race distances range from 4K to 42K, and pretty much everything in between.
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    and Aleve.

Leave the NSAIDS at home. Seriously. An MD running friend of mine advises to avoid them 6 hours before and after strenuous workouts. Because renal failure is not your friend. Dealing with pain for a few hours is better than risking one's health. They also can mask pain leading to serious injury and it's questionable whether they really even minimize pain all that much, to begin with.
    http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-241-286-289-7770-0,00.html
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I try and run as light as possible. I'll bring water only as needed if it's hot. I should remember my ID more often than I do. I also never take my phone, which I probably should.
    Anything between 10-15 miles I'll take a gel but probably won't eat it. I've been trying to wean myself from thier dependance and just ran my best 20 miler this weekend on nothing but water.
  • Char_marcus
    Char_marcus Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I have one of these

http://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-bottle-belt-764020?colcode=76402043,
    it's a bargain
    it has reflective bands on it and a strap to secure the water bottle
    the pocket is big enough to fit my blackberry in which has an emergency app that has all my emergency details on it, and my house key and some money if i want, it also has a slot for my earphones to fit through
  • fzyfrog
    fzyfrog Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I wear a fuel belt for any run over 3 miles. I always carry my phone and my car key if I've driven to the trail. Also, if I'm running alone in my neighborhood where I have to cross streets and could potentially get hit by a car, I wear my RoadID. The only time I bring "fuel" with me is for runs over 15 miles. Otherwise I just make sure to eat a decent breakfast about an hour before my run. If I'm running over 15 miles I will bring some snacks like pretzels, mini vanilla wafers or club crackers. I put about a handful of each in a sandwich bag and drape the bag(s) over my fuel belt. They stay put and I always have some fuel right at my fingertips.
  • ellie78
    ellie78 Posts: 375
    Options
    I take a Nathan belt pack with my keys, cell, iPod, tissues and chapstick. It fits really snug against my back so I don't even notice the extra weight. I usually run on trails near my house that have water fountains if I need to stop for water (and for safety as they are in a well populated area).
  • ritmeyer
    ritmeyer Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Always wear my road id!! If it's over 6 miles & hot out I'll either place water halfway, or where my hydration pack. Always have my phone, my husband insists.
  • eknobbe
    eknobbe Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • leahnoelle31
    leahnoelle31 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I run with my house keys and rosebud salve. No iPod, phone, or water with me. There are a ton of parks here on my routes so I can stop by a drinking fountain if necessary. If I'm going for a run longer than 11-12 miles, I'll pack half a granola bar too. Really, I HATE running with "baggage."
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I don’t eat candies, but I do put a banana in my mailbox; I pass by it around the 6 mile mark. My nephew eats apple & granola bars along the way.
  • willismack2
    Options
    I have a road id bracelet and never leave home without it. You can google the company and see what they offer. I usually run alone on trails or the road so the purpose of the id is to notify other people, EMT's, etc of your name, medical conditions, and emergency phone numbers of who to call in case you are unconscious or injured. They cost about $20.00 give or take depending on what type you get. Definitely worth the money. Better safe than sorry. It would be horrible to be in the hospital unconscious and the hospital workers not know who you are or who to notify and your family to not know where you are.
    may i ask why it is important to bring your id on a run?? just curious b/c i don't bring mine :tongue:
    and if i should start bringing it..thanks!

+1 for RoadID
  • 20carrots
    20carrots Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Great question as I went out for 8 yesterday thinking I could rely on water fountains,....all of which were OFF! Anyway for long runs I bring and heartily recommend a SPI belt. I have yet to fill it to the max, yet it is the tiniest thing ever.

So on long runs I bring:
    Garmin
    SPI belt
    Phone which doubles as MP3 player
    chapstick
    Tissues (ugh soooooo annoying)
    Extra hair tie
    Maybe some sport beans, depending.

As for carrying a water bottle, a coach a long time ago told me that it can really throw off your gait if you hold something in one hand, so I don't bring any. Wish I had yesterday though!
  • silkysly
    Options
    may i ask why it is important to bring your id on a run?? just curious b/c i don't bring mine :tongue:
    My nephew uses an ID bracelet from http://www.roadid.com/

It has all of his vitals in case of an emergency.
  • silkysly
    Options
    I have a road id bracelet and never leave home without it. You can google the company and see what they offer. I usually run alone on trails or the road so the purpose of the id is to notify other people, EMT's, etc of your name, medical conditions, and emergency phone numbers of who to call in case you are unconscious or injured. They cost about $20.00 give or take depending on what type you get. Definitely worth the money. Better safe than sorry. It would be horrible to be in the hospital unconscious and the hospital workers not know who you are or who to notify and your family to not know where you are.
    Sorry, did see this before my post. It's http://www.roadid.com/

+1 for RoadID
  • ritmeyer
    ritmeyer Posts: 136 Member
    Options

+1 for RoadID

LOVE my RoadID bracelet!! It's so important, if god forbid, you were hit by a car. I I have to say, I have a close call at least once a week & I really pay attention. Too many drivers don't...and I can see it's usually because the idiots are texting or on the phone. Plus if you have any health conditions, it lists them as well
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I always have my phone, mp3 player and my housekey, unless my husband is home, then I don't need to lock up.

For a long run, or if it's really hot, I'll also take grapes or a drink.
  • jaxCarrie
    jaxCarrie Posts: 214 Member
    Options

^^^ it's worth the ~$20 investment. I have the one that lists a number to call and EMT's get all your medical history and who to contact. Excellent peace of mind with all the crazy texting drivers out there....

+1 for RoadID
  • fjrandol
    fjrandol Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    bump
  • cushygal
    cushygal Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    For all of you interested in a road id bracelet, here's a coupon code for $2 off:

ARR6887

expires 5/31/12

from http://www.retailmenot.com/view/roadid.com

EDIT: Just used the code- it works :-)

Thanks - I just ordered the slim version!!!
  • Moriarty_697
    Moriarty_697 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Ipod, Garmin GPS/Heart Rate Monitor, keys, ipod. I haven't gone for much longer than an hour yet but I am looking at water bottles. I want something that won't bounce around too much.

I also have my RoadID necklace. I used to do my runs with no id but I soon realized it was a foolish move. If something did happen, it could take a long time before you get identified. If you have any sort of medical issues, the time it takes to identify you could be harmful. This is especially important if you're like me and try to get some runs in while on vacation.