Help with what to have for breakfast

hello all,

i like to have a big, filling breakfast because i work 11-3 and cant really eat during lunch, so it needs to sustain me until about 4 or so when i can have a proper meal or something. i eat snacks at work, but dont have time to sit down for a proper lunch.

anyway. my breakfast is one of a few things:

honey nut chex with milk - bout 2 cups of cereal, 1.5 cups of milk - my easy go to.
udi's gluten free bagel with peanut butter & chopped up banana - my favourite.
yoghurt and fruit - doesnt really fill me up like the others.
smoothie - milk, yoghurt, banana, strawberries & blueberries.
eggs - rarely.

so basically i'm wondering what other people's opinions are on my breakfast and what everyone else eats - i'm just trying to figure out what the best breakfast for me is. i have celiac disease so dont eat bread or pasta except in the form of my breakfast bagel, i eat either salads or quinoa / rice and veggies for lunch and something similar for dinner. so i'm ok for lunch and dinner, but breakfast stumps me sometimes, i feel like i'm eating the wrong thing.

anyway. anyone's opinions or help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
Kristen.

Replies

• aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    My favorite breakfast is oatmeal cooked in almond milk with a scoop of protein powder sometimes. I top that with berries and peanut butter. Sometimes I'll make it with half a banana whipped in while cooking and top with the other half in place of berries. It keeps me for a while before I get hungry again.
  • sweet... i used to love museli / oatmeal before i was diagnosed. oh well :)
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    sweet... i used to love museli / oatmeal before i was diagnosed. oh well :)
    Ah, I'm sorry! >< I always forget the oatmeal part when considering people with celiac's. I knew someone who would eat that on it and I guess it just stuck with me.
    Big egg scrambles with lots of veggies cooked in and fruit is another go-to breakfast for me. It's pretty filling (well....mine are huge..)
  • Helenatrandom
    Helenatrandom Posts: 1,166 Member
    Cheese omelet with fruit on the side.
  • endjl
    endjl Posts: 28
    I make sure to have protein and carbs every morning within 30 minutes of waking. Here are some of my faves:
    Quick oats w/ blueberries, milled flax seed and almond butter (no sugar or salt added)
    Protein Smoothy - Protein powder, 1/4 c quick oats, half a banana, ice and unsweetened vanilla almond milk
    Breakfast Tacos - Egg whites srambled with chopped onions and peppers, salsa verde, tomato and ezekial corn tortillas (food for life brand)
  • endjl
    endjl Posts: 28
    Ooops; I said oatmeal too! You can definitely have a protein smoothy without the oatmeal! You can play around with them as well. Change up the fruit and protein powders. Eggs and lots of veggies are always a great breakfast as well!
  • mimiclown
    mimiclown Posts: 32
    I love having eggbeater omelet with a slice of ham and fat free cheese.I can make a 2 egg white omelet for about 110 calories. Add a piece of light whole wheta bread for another 45.
  • mimiclown
    mimiclown Posts: 32
    Wheat toast that is.
  • mbts08
    mbts08 Posts: 284 Member
    Eggs scrambles with veggies.
  • Jmstill300
    Jmstill300 Posts: 239 Member
    Mine is a homemade breakfast sandwich with turkey sausage, reduced fat cheese, an egg and a multi-grain English muffin and a banana. On Fridays, it's a ham and cheese omelet with egg whites, a couple slices of bacon or a sausage patty and a banana.
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    When I wake up I am not hungry for a 'meal' However, what I have been having that has been holding me over till lunch (730am lunch then Noon when I have lunch) is:

Morning protein shake:
    8 Blackberries
    2.5 ounces Strawberries
    2.5 ounces Pineapple
    1 Scoop Optimum Nutrition Vanilla Protein Powder
    4 ounces Orange Juice

So filling...and yummy.
  • Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    sweet... i used to love museli / oatmeal before i was diagnosed. oh well :)

You can get gluten free oatmeal in health food shops! :) Oats don't actually contain gluten themselves, as gluten is a protein found in wheat, however most oats are contaminated. Just thought I'd let you know that you CAN still have delicious oatmeal...it'll just cost a couple of quid extra for a bag xxx
  • mzhokie
    mzhokie Posts: 349 Member
    If you are looking for easy, you can fix oatmeal in advance to just heat up in the morning. Then add in some yogurt, fruit, nuts, etc. I portion it out in 1 cup batches for the morning. I go for the steel cut and cook it in the crockpot. If you aren't into artificial sweeteners, Blue Agave syrup is good and won't spike your blood sugar like honey. Fresh blueberries, strawberries or bananas are great in this.

My normal breakfast though is eggs so I'm not much help.

Sorry forgot about the gluten issue but as someone else said, you can get gluten free oats. I see gluten free muffin mixes at the store that you could doctor up with added protein and fiber too.

http://glutenfreeoats.com/pages/Products-And-Ordering.html
  • NU2U
    NU2U Posts: 659 Member
    I love flour tortillas wrapped around a stick of string cheese....zapped, and dipped in hot taco sauce :-)......and an apple.
  • thanks everyone :) gluten free oats are fine for some, just happier to remove them from my diet completely.. long story but am living in america atm and the laws / regulations on what is 'gluten free' are more relaxed here than home in Aus, and I can still have a reaction to the 'gluten free' oats. will definitely try and incorporate more eggs with veggies in my breakfast meals. thanks again :)
  • mamaparks87
    mamaparks87 Posts: 54 Member
    I make a breakfast cookie- found on fitnessista.com. I am not a huge fan of oatmeal in its usual form, the texture bothers me. So I just take the oats, some protein powder, and pb and mix it together. Then I add some cinnamon, 1/3-1/2 mashed banana, enough milk to make it wet (about 1/8 cup), and spread the mixture out on a small plate into a big cookie shape. Put it in the fridge overnight and in the morning you are good to go. A lot of people eat theirs cold but I personally like to microwave it for about 20 secs to knock off the chill.
  • melissan84
    melissan84 Posts: 487 Member
    I love breakfast pizzas, tacos, omelets, & hard boiled eggs.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    I don't do any grains, and instead of oatmeal I have hot buckwheat cereal or cooked quinoa (whole, rather than flakes). A cup of either of those is pretty filling, and I have it with some low-sugar fruit, and maybe some nuts.

When I amke pancakes (buckwheat) then I make lots and freeze leftovers, so I often have pancakes and eggs for breaky. Sometimes I have baked potato, lentil soup, or supper leftovers.

You are welcome to browse my diary for other ideas.
  • run4yourlife
    run4yourlife Posts: 379 Member
    bump
  • schlange11b
    schlange11b Posts: 105 Member
    I like having a 3 egg white omelet with turkey, lo fat cottage cheese, and some yogurt. Definitely holds you over!