3 day binge and a week with no gym.

Options
So I started working a second job, and literally have no time to go to the gym. On top of that, I just finished binging for three days straight eating everything in sight. Has anyone been successful in losing weight without going to the gym and just strictly counting their calories? Im 160 lbs and I am so discouraged. I'm happy to be working all these hours and making money, but the 15 pounds I've managed to loose is going to come back fast and I just feel like giving up.

Replies

• Hev_uk
    Hev_uk Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    The good thing about this site is that you can just restrict calories. In terms of weight loss, the exercise only adds calories for you to eat. So you might not be able to tone but if you restrict your calories to your recommended levels then you should be fine.

Also, if you are really pushed for time maybe try some exercise DVDs or things you can do at home. You may find rhat when you get more used to your job you may be able to get back to the gym. Good luck :)
  • divacat80
    divacat80 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    what you should NEVER do is binge eating (not to mention binge drinking!). Right now you have to get used to your new job and find a way to keep a healthy routine. In the meantime just stick to healthy eating, eat all your meals (try to eat them at the same time every day), and don't focus in calorie-counting. Try to go for a 30' walk every day, if your job involves a lot of physical activity you can skip that.
    You also have the myfitnesspal apps (or the online website) to keep track of what you're eating, in case it makes you feel better. But you definitely don't need to count calories to lose weight, and you definitely don't need to go to the gym to exercise. You can go for a walk for daily aerobic exercise (you might want to invest in a heart rate monitor) and you can lift weights at home for strenght training.
    Whatever you do, never eat less than 1,200 calories a day. Keep away from sugary and fatty foods and you should be OK! Remember all food groups are important! you just need to keep some foods away and if you have cravings eat whatever you crave but in moderation

if you follow an extremely restrictive diet that's what happens... you binge eat! and you definitely need to avoid that.
  • gatorgirlyyy
    Options
    someone-busier.jpeg?w=580

It always motivates me. :)
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    So I started working a second job, and literally have no time to go to the gym.

I don't intend to start a debate with you but unless you're literally working 120+ hours per week or have very, very extreme life circumstances (single parent with multiple kids/etc) then it's likely that you have time to go to the gym. It's just not important enough to you right now.

Now if you actually ARE one of the very select few who really can't go to the gym, then my apologies.

On to your question:
    Has anyone been successful in losing weight without going to the gym and just strictly counting their calories?

Absolutely. The gym will help create a larger deficit and most importantly you can apply resistance training very readily in the gym, which will help with body composition. Strictly in terms of weight loss, it's not necessary and you can lose weight strictly by creating a calorie deficit at home in the kitchen.

m 160 lbs and I am so discouraged. I'm happy to be working all these hours and making money, but the 15 pounds I've managed to loose is going to come back fast and I just feel like giving up.
  • mamitosami
    mamitosami Posts: 531 Member
    Options

FTW!!!!!!! Best. Ever.

NO EXCUSES!!!!

Love this so much!
  • HotBodUnderConstruction
    Options
    I just took a peak at your diary- are you not logging in the binges? I find it more difficult to eat a lot for several days in a row if I actually log in all the extra stuff I'm eating...it definitely motivates me to eat better the next day.

Additionally, I echo everyone else's comments about having time. If you don't want to make time that's fine, but if you really want to do it, you will. Just buy some exercise DVD's and dedicate 30 minutes of your life.

On your last point, yes you can lose weight without exercising. Cardio helps create a bigger deficit that allows you to eat more...strength training will minimize the inevitable lean muscle mass you will lose with a caloric deficit.
  • LishaCole
    LishaCole Posts: 245
    Options

FTW!!!!!!! Best. Ever.

NO EXCUSES!!!!

Love this so much!

Agreed!

I used to say to myself "Why would I workout if I don't even have time to sleep?" and then I forced myself to exercise (just 30 mins a day) and now the sleep I get is much more rejuvenating, I am less stressed, and I am more productive.
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options

Love it!!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,163 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is a matter of diet, exercise may help keep a good calorie deficit while eating more so you feel more satisfied, but you can lose weight just fine without exercise. However, the positives of exercise make it a good thing to do. It will help you be more fit and healthy so you can do more without getting tired. It also, if you include strength training, will help you maintain more muscle mass than you would otherwise while losing weight.

Having said that, you don't have to go to the gym to work out. I workout at home. I started with Tae-bo DVDs and over time have built up a fairly substantial weight set of my own. The thing is, I don't even have to have the weight set, as there are a bunch of ways to do strength training with bodyweight exercises only. The results are quicker with weights, but a well thought out bodyweight program can give an amazing body. Working out at home has the advantage of allowing you to workout when you want without the trip to the gym and back. It also allows you the option of doing several small workouts spread throughout the day at those times you have available. You can do this with exercise if you think out of the box, and get away from the "I have to be at a gym to workout" mentality.
  • cutie2b
    cutie2b Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Hey, I know how stressful and hard it can be to balance multiple jobs and traveling between jobs and all that. I worked two full time jobs for about 90-100 hours a week (OT at both jobs) plus 14 hours of commuting between jobs in rush hour and all that. It left me with very little time and a lot stress. When you work more hours than normal and have to deal with the extra stress, all I can tell you is to make time to relax in a healthy way - bubble baths, movies nights, whatever it takes. Find a way besides eating to destress. Walks outside in a park near my apartment helped me. Also try at home videos so you don't have to go to the gym to work out, and it helps to bulk cook on your days off or one night a week and have things in your freezer that are relatively healthy that you can make quickly. If you live with other people, enlist them to help you with chores and mundane activities that can pile up when you are working a lot more than normal. Don't be afraid to ask for help - if someone else can get some groceries for you, and you pay them back, that's one less thing you have to make time for. If you don't have time for videos, try a short daily circuit - like 20 jumping jacks, some push ups, some crunches, some lunges, some squats. Some body weight exercises done without break is nice aerobic circuit that can help you destress and burn some calories. I hope that helps. Good luck! And yes, you can lose weight without the gym, but the stress from working more can be hard to deal with.
  • alexbowser
    alexbowser Posts: 322
    Options
    I personally have had very little success with dieting without exercising, I've tried a couple times and even with calorie deficits (because I'm lazy, not busy like you), something about my body just won't let me lose weight without exercising.
  • jeardawg
    jeardawg Posts: 110 Member
    Options

That is Awesome, I am so stealing that!
  • Anomalia
    Anomalia Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Try body rock tv, just 12 mins a day!
  • Bearface115
    Bearface115 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I am very successful and i have weekend binges, i just am very careful for the rest of the week. 2 days eating what i want and the rest is Atikins style eating. im 23lbs down and i lose at least 2 pounds a week
  • Janice032557
    Janice032557 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can lose weight without exercise. I lost about 30 pounds when I was on weight watchers (and not one day of exercise). So it is possible. Good luck:drinker:
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options

OMG love this!
  • cruisefamily
    Options
    I HATE to exercise. I know that's awful, but it's the truth. I've been drinking two "green" smoothies a day for the past 4 weeks and have lost 5 pounds. The fiber in the smoothies fill me up. I am watching what I eat. I love sweets and what I'm finding is that I'm getting so much sweet (in the way of fruit) that I'm not craving the junk food anymore. That being said, I am craving salty now, which is new for me, and I can get that craving satisfied with salted almonds or dill pickles. I'm super excited and hope that I can lose about 5 more in the next month.

As you can see, the weight is not "dropping off" but it is enough of a start without having to exercise. Good luck!
  • ncthomas09
    ncthomas09 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Something that I did to make me feel better is I got a pedometer. I wear it while I work. Granted I work the second shift at a hospital and with my job there's not much to do but I do have a hall I can walk up and down just to get in the extra time. But by wearing the pedometer I can see how active I was at work and it has help me to set a goal of how much to walk every day! So even though I don't go to a gym and I try to do things at home when I can it's a good way to realize you aren't slacking off necessarily.

The pedometer that I have counts how many steps I took, how far I walked (in miles), and how many kcals I burned. Remember that you don't just burn calories at the gym...you burn them while you are working too!!!
  • brittanykquinn
    Options
    Hi,
    I think you have to just be really strict with yourself. Maybe get up a little earlier to at least walk before work, walk on your breaks at work, park farther away. Get some gum to chew if you like gum. Are you bingeing because youre stressed about this job and not having time to exercise?? Dont forget to drink water.
  • Mustangsally1000
    Mustangsally1000 Posts: 860 Member
    Options

FTW!!!!!!! Best. Ever.

NO EXCUSES!!!!

Love this so much!