over the hill and climbing back up

I'm 50 (soon to be 51) and I'm tired of looking like Porky Pig. I have an awesome 8 year old son and wonderful sweetie and I am not going to be the first in my family not to make it to 100 because I have a desk job and like sweets. in 2013 I'm planning to celebrate being 10 years cancer free by running with the bulls in Pamplona and want to be able to take off my shirt at the end and not horrify my family and embarrass myself. I'm 5' 8" 215 and know I'll never look like Brad Pitt but being a cool 175 and not getting run over by haf ton of angry bull next Summer will definitely bring on the awesome.

When I went through cancer treatment I remember what it was like to feel alone and lost. I lost everything (possessions and money wise) but not the things that really matter. So...if you need a friend I'd love to be that. I don't know much about getting slim (clearly) but I think I can be a pretty good cheering section. I'm just starting this journey (and feeling hungry) working out 4x a week and now that the weather is cooperating going to add walking the 3 miles (each way) to work to my daily activities. This looks to be a great community and I look forward to being part of it.

I gotta change that profile picture...I look like I'm bedridden.

Replies

• jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    I wish you the best on your journey!!! :smile:
  • dixeyk
    dixeyk Posts: 20
    Thanks and congrats on the 54lb loss.
  • alladream
    alladream Posts: 261 Member
    Good luck to you, and I (probably!) don't need to mention pacing yourself to accommodate your health concerns while still becoming more fit. I gained a lot of weight due partially to a desk job and health issues, but the last six months or so I *simply stand up at work and in front of my computer at home* whenever I can, and since I often work alone, that is often, and it really went far to helping make the core muscles firmer to start with. Good luck to you.
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Remember to eat enough. On this site you are given a certain number of calories and then you add the calories that you burn working out to that. That way you have a lot more calories to eat and you still lose weight. It increases your metabolism. Eat often.
    Best of luck to you.
  • dixeyk
    dixeyk Posts: 20
    Good luck to you, and I (probably!) don't need to mention pacing yourself to accommodate your health concerns while still becoming more fit. I gained a lot of weight due partially to a desk job and health issues, but the last six months or so I *simply stand up at work and in front of my computer at home* whenever I can, and since I often work alone, that is often, and it really went far to helping make the core muscles firmer to start with. Good luck to you.

That's correct..on one hand I'm happy to still be among the living but the older I get I am realizing that things like making sure your BP, cholesterol, stress levels and such are also where they need to be is also important. It would not be fun to survive cancer and drop dead of a heart attack. I think turning 50 really has hammered that home. I'm coning up on my annual physical, the 50 year colonoscopy coming, not to mention I just finally dealt with my 20 year snoring problem (got a C-PAP machine) and I'm getting fitted for braces next month. I guess now that I'm closing in on a decade free of cancer I felt it was time to do the other "maintenance". :bigsmile:

Mostly though I look at my son and I can't bear the thought of leaving him so I'm going to do whatever it takes to make sure I'm here as long as possible.