Need higher calories but low sodium and sugar intake

Hi, I need suggestions to raise my calorie intake however keep my sugar and sodium intake low.

Thanks in advance!:smile:

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,307 Member
    Full fat dairy (yogurt, milk, and cheeses) instead of low fat.

Peanut butter with fruit.

Nuts

Avocado

Meat
  • jconnors2012
    jconnors2012 Posts: 22 Member
    Thanks! Any suggestion on brand of yogurt?
  • lax75
    lax75 Posts: 118 Member
    I have medical issues that require me to keep sodium low, and it can be hard some days to get enough protein/calories without going over on the sodium. I also avoid added sugar, (or additives of any kind, actually) but I don't worry about the sugars that naturally occur in fruit, milk, etc. I don't put salt in anything that I cook.

I'll be interested to see what other suggestions you get, but my most common solutions are Greek yogurt, nuts, fruit (especially ones like oranges and apples that contribute good amounts of fiber), avocados, steel cut oatmeal (add nuts and fruit of your choice), low-sodium peanut butter (spread on apple slices), beans/legumes (esp. lentils) in a salad, or in homemade soups.

Good luck!
  • Kalynx
    Kalynx Posts: 707 Member
    I dont know what you're eating now but if you prepare your own foods and don't use prepackaged mixes or boxed dinners you can cut down the sodium quite a bit. I try to eat one meal with starches and one meal without for lunch and dinner - and like the above poster I dont worry too much about carbs in fruit and dairy as they are naturally occuring and come with a lot of other good stuff your body needs.