Has anyone tried running in the reebok toning shoes...

Options
I bought a pair of the reebok toning shoes, the kind that tone ur legs. Its not the arch kind like sketchers. they have balancing pads on the bottom. I was just wondering if anyone has ever ran in them cause i would like to wear them to the gym tonight but dont want to not be able to run. Any imput is great :) Thanx

ALSO ADD ME PLEASE!!!!!!!!!

Replies

• katydid25
    katydid25 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Return them! I had them and they gave me the worst shin splints and strained muscles in feet. The pain was horrible when I was running! It all went away as soon as I started wearing a pair of running shoes I was fitted for.

I believe there was actually a recall done on them because they don't live up to their 'toning' claims and so many people were injured using them.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    They're bad - dangerous, actually - for running.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I had them. I HATE them. They were bad. Especially for running, like Lorina said.
  • sluedu09
    sluedu09 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Bad idea. Those things are made to create instability. When running you need stability. Don't don it...you'll end up hurt.
  • jenniebean1680
    jenniebean1680 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Horrible, no good, very bad idea.
  • JhKd
    JhKd Posts: 20
    Options
    LOL. My wife is literally at the store right now buying new shoes to replace hers. She started a new running/walking program this week and made the mistake of wearing 'shape-ups'. Shin splints so bad, she hasn't been able to work out the rest of the week...
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Lots of people tried them, that's why Reebok got sued and had to fork out $25,000.000......
  • krunchykat
    krunchykat Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    DON'T DO IT!!! Honestly, they're comfy for standing or general everyday wear. That's what I used mine for when I bought them. They were the only pair of sneakers I had that were in good shape when I started this journey so I used them for walking. I ended up with plantar fasciitis in my left foot and was having a lot of problems with knee and hip pain after exercise. I finally realized that it was the shoes causing all of my problems. I went out and bought a pair of New Balance to replace them and have had no trouble since.
  • badgertom
    Options
    Get Reebok ZigTech shoes. My girlfriend and I both got a pair and they are easily the best and most comfortable shoes I've ever worn.
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    DON'T do the toning shoes, I had a pair of those and was walking in them, I took a step, the ball went one way, my ankle went the other.... tore my flexor hallicus tendon in my ankle... it's been two years this summer and I am STILL having problems, I can no longer run, I have trouble wearing heels, and I start having pain and swelling if I'm on my feet too long.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,671 Member
    Options
    It's sad that advertising these shoes preys upon people who may be afraid to actually exercise for real. Don't fear real exercise. Doing it will result in strength, better energy and less stress.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • jpfrimmer
    jpfrimmer Posts: 134
    Options
    I had a pair as well, and they were TERRIBLE!!! I did the elliptical with them and after about 10 min the soles of my feet were so sore I had to stop. I also tried zumba with them and they actually made me roll my weight to the outer part of my feet and caused some pain there too. I will never buy those again! I would return them.
  • laleep0p
    laleep0p Posts: 1
    Options
    i had no problem with mine, but i had worn them down significantly with daily wear before i ever even attempted to run.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Why are these shoes still allowed to be sold after the class action lawsuit?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Toning shoes are the ultimate waste of money. For one thing, there's no such thing as "toning."
  • j_courter
    j_courter Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    i guess i'm pretty much alone in this, but i'm on my 4th pair of the reebok simply tone shoes. i actually do like them for light running. (last month i ran 74.5 miles in them) in fact, until last week, these were my sole shoe used for running. i love the extra cushion and support the instability pods add. i think the extra support in these shoes helped me as a non-runner ease into it without hurting my knees. i love them.

my mom has plantar fasciatis and had trouble even walking until she tried these. now she's finally able to walk and work pain-free.

i'm not saying they will work for everyone and they are rather heavy for a running shoe, but i still love my simply tones and i hope they never stop making them!!! they are the most "cushy" pair of shoes i own!
  • j_courter
    j_courter Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    i would also add: never use them as an off-road shoe. bad idea!
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    Get Reebok ZigTech shoes. My girlfriend and I both got a pair and they are easily the best and most comfortable shoes I've ever worn.

I have to agree with this. I was lucky enough to win a pair from Reebok's website and I wear them to every workout. I think I'm going to wear them out within the next few months. Oof.
  • aim1173
    aim1173 Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm with J_Courter. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my Simply Tones. I walk in them and run in them. They have such great cushion, I've gotten spoiled. Every other shoe I try to run in seems hard and flat. I'm on my third pair and wondering how to get my next.
  • mrpurdy
    mrpurdy Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Walking in them is okay, but that's about it! They will screw you up if you try to run in them!