weight is a number, not a health status.

Options
do not judge yourself by a scale. your body composition is far more important

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Tell that to my doctor.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Tell that to my doctor.
    What's his email address?
  • chachadiva150
    chachadiva150 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Some people just want to feel bad about themselves. The number on the scale is just...a number.
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    There is a point where the scale can be thrown out... I'm not there.

It's a great way for me to verify that the eating plan I'm on is working, and that I'm making the right choices for me.

it doesn't define me, though.
  • cheshirechic
    cheshirechic Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I know. But sometimes I still hate myself because of that stupid number. I'm working on it.

:(
  • MelsieK
    MelsieK Posts: 72
    Options
    I've thrown my scales, I'm going on how I'm looking. When my pants fall off me when I'm out running, it's time to go next size down and I know that what I'm doing is working ;-)

Mel

Ps, yes it really has happened my running shorts nearly ended up near my knees while running one day lol
  • Testosterone
    Testosterone Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Tell that to my doctor.

well according to the scale and BMI, I am morbidly obese. according to the skin fold calipers, I have 10% body fat. I eat bacon and eggs every day for breakfast, steak 3x a week, fish and chicken every day. My cholesterol is a 3:1 ldl/hdl ratio. about as perfect as it gets.

a younger doctor will know a lot more about what is actually healthy than a doctor who graduated med school in 1960. high fat, high protein diets are the cure for what ails you.
  • Testosterone
    Testosterone Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    my total bodyweight lost is over 40 lbs. fitnesspal doesnt account for muscle mass added. thats the important part of fitness though.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I agree, but I have to admit, it took me until the scale stopped moving down, yet I kept getting smaller to stop fixating on the number on the scale. I've lost at the most 2-3 lbs in the last 4 months, yet I have lost lots of inches and have gone down two sizes. I have seen the fat spots on my body shrink and yet the scale hasn't moved.
  • obeserat
    obeserat Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Tell that to my doctor.

well according to the scale and BMI, I am morbidly obese. according to the skin fold calipers, I have 10% body fat. I eat bacon and eggs every day for breakfast, steak 3x a week, fish and chicken every day. My cholesterol is a 3:1 ldl/hdl ratio. about as perfect as it gets.

a younger doctor will know a lot more about what is actually healthy than a doctor who graduated med school in 1960. high fat, high protein diets are the cure for what ails you.

I doubt a doctor that graduated in 1960 would still be practising as he would be in his mid 70's. The majority of doctors I've encountered constantly read up so they have the latest information. High protein diets can be bad for you
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options

You'd be doing so much better on this site if you stopped trying to tell people things that are already very widely known here, as if you were some kind of delphic oracle.

You're preaching to the choir here, mate.
  • meerkat70
    Options
    Tell that to my doctor.

Howard Wolowitz has 3% body fat. Does he win?
  • 967_1111
    967_1111 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Unless the number is something like, 400, at which point one might argue it is both a number and a health status.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Don't judge yourself by a scale or by body composition. Judge yourself by how you feel and what your blood panel shows.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    That's easy to say when you aren't obese or morbidly obese. That's easy to say when you only fall into the 'overweight' category...

So if you're talking to people in the 'overweight' category then I might agree with you...

But if you're talking to people in the obese category (and higher or much MUCH lower then 'healthy' weight) then I disagree 100%.
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I couldn't agree with you more!

Fortunately, I see a MD who agrees as well. He's not concerned about my weight, as I run and cycle and lift and share a lifestyle similar to his. However....he's addressed others in my family about their weight issues. Those who don't live active lifestyels.

But yes, I do weight myself. Most of the time it's just as a "monitoring device" but when I put on a few lbs in reminds me to pick up the weights more often. It's a tool and nothing more.
  • Meloonie
    Meloonie Posts: 144 Member
    Options

You'd be doing so much better on this site if you stopped trying to tell people things that are already very widely known here, as if you were some kind of delphic oracle.

Hey, why so harsh? Not everyone on here has realised that the numbers aren't always important. Just one person may think about themselves differently because of this post. Is that a bad thing?
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Incorrect.

it's not everything, but to some it does matter.

You're not someone who can tell others what does and does not matter to them and their goals.
  • meerkat70
    Options

Hey, why so harsh? Not everyone on here has realised that the numbers aren't always important. Just one person may think about themselves differently because of this post. Is that a bad thing?

This is about his fifth post, telling us how it is. They've mostly now been deleted, for a range of reasons, not least this poster calling anyone who disagreed with him 'fat'.

This is intended as friendly advice. If he tones it down a bit, he might actually find the value of this community. He might even... *gasp* ... learn something himself.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options

This is about his fifth post, telling us how it is. They've mostly now been deleted, for a range of reasons, not least this poster calling anyone who disagreed with him 'fat'.

This is intended as friendly advice. If he tones it down a bit, he might actually find the value of this community. He might even... *gasp* ... learn something himself.

All he cares about is his steroids.