Anyone tried "eating for your goal weight"?

Options

Replies

• norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    i doubt it....

for my goal weight of 128, MFP has me at over 1700 without 'exercise cals' to maintain - as lightly active.

i didn't do that other calculation...
  • kimberleyschrader
    Options
    I have just adopted this approach after stumbling across the podcasts by Fat2Fit Radio.

I really recommend everyone check out their site www.fat2fitradio.com and listen to the podcasts (or buy their book, its cheap and has a bucket load of information).

They also put a lot of emphasis on always eating about your BMR and eating enough to keep your metabolism revved up. I really think this is an issue for a lot of us dieters where we just keep reducing our calories to keep losing weight, however, when we get to our goal weight we are eating so little calories that it is impossible to maintain this for the rest of our lives. This is why I love the Fat2Fit approach of eating like the thin person you want to be.
  • Derpina7
    Derpina7 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    My ideal goal weight is only 80 calories more than what MFP recommended for me *sigh*
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    I think it's a sound idea. Often eating at maintenance for your goal weight is close to eating at a reasonable cut from your current TDEE. :) Give it a go, and don't give up after 1 or 2 weeks. If you've been eating less, it'll take some time for your body to adjust. However, I've seen many people on MFP start dropping pounds right away!
  • Starla_
    Starla_ Posts: 349
    Options
    I'm eating at my goal weight, have been for a few months now and I'm very nearly at what I set my goal weight to be. Weight tends to come off a bit slower as you get closer to goal but that's only because the deficit gets smaller. I like it because I'm eating the amount I need to eat for life basically so I'm learning that before I hit my maintenance stage. This is all about a lifestyle change for me, not a diet, so learning how to eat is important and eating at my goal weight works well for me.
  • nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    That's pretty much what I've been trying to do. I have a goal of 1900 calories and usually eat above or below it and it balances out for the week. I'm sure the closer I get I'll have to start cutting a few more calories to speed things along, but so far I've been pretty successful. Also it trains me how I'm going to eat for the rest of my life.
  • nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I have just adopted this approach after stumbling across the podcasts by Fat2Fit Radio.

I really recommend everyone check out their site www.fat2fitradio.com and listen to the podcasts (or buy their book, its cheap and has a bucket load of information).

They also put a lot of emphasis on always eating about your BMR and eating enough to keep your metabolism revved up. I really think this is an issue for a lot of us dieters where we just keep reducing our calories to keep losing weight, however, when we get to our goal weight we are eating so little calories that it is impossible to maintain this for the rest of our lives. This is why I love the Fat2Fit approach of eating like the thin person you want to be.

This is how I started too!
  • Nicolelovestocook
    Options
    Always eat what you're comfortable with. My goal is always at 1200 to lose. =]
  • birdieaz
    birdieaz Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    My maintenance for my goal weight is about 1900 cal, currently I eat 1700-2000. Yes it's been working amazingly well. I've gone from a 3month plateau to losing steadily again.
  • cristeberga
    cristeberga Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    bump for later reading.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Fat to fit says I can eat at 1920. Nice!
  • themaskedpixie
    themaskedpixie Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    interesting
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    bump
  • norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    My maintenance for my goal weight is about 1900 cal, currently I eat 1700-2000. Yes it's been working amazingly well. I've gone from a 3month plateau to losing steadily again.

loving the concept of this approach!
  • birdieaz
    birdieaz Posts: 448 Member
    Options

loving the concept of this approach!

It really has made things very simple.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    It's definitely a better idea than eating for your starting weight, that's for sure!
  • SandyAnnP
    SandyAnnP Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Fat to Fit is saying I can eat 2500 cals.
    MFP says around 1400 before I log my exercise.
    Now I'm really confused....................
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    It is a great idea, and I even have a group for Eating For Future You, that many are still following.
    in developing it before I heard about fat2fit, I discovered the difficulty of truly doing so.

Here's the problem with fat2fit method.

They ask or allow using your bodyfat%, and have calculator to assist getting it.
    Why?

To increase accuracy.

So on the results page, there is your BMR based on bodyfat%, Katch-McArdle formula.

They also show you what the oldest and least accurate BMR calc is, Harris.

Now, guess which one is used to create you activity level daily goal figures?

Harris.

Go check it out. Sedentary is BMR x 1.2, Moderately Active is 1.55. Confirm which one they used.

Now see what that table would be if the best estimate BMR Katch was used, even for your current weight at that.
    Higher or lower?
    Most will find their Katch BMR makes a table that is lower, even at current weight.

And why can't you use the Katch BMR for your goal weight?

How much lean body mass do you plan on loosing? Because that is all that BMR is based on, LBM.

Since the goal of eating that way is to keep your LBM, you would have the same, the BMR would be the same, at goal weight as now.

It's a great idea that breaks down when you use more accurate stats.

Which just means the goal table is inflated more than it needs to be.

Better would be just setting MFP to goal weight, and weight loss to maintain, log and eat back exercise calories.
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Fat2Fit says I should be eating 2633 cals a day! I'm eating 1700 and not losing, how can I eat 900 cals more?
  • tedsmama
    tedsmama Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Bump