Picky Eater - in need of some breakfast and snack ideas

Options
saraann4
saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
I am so sick of cereal. I hate cereal!! I've been eating Special K with Strawberries with Fat Free Milk. I don't like milk at all, but I can actually stand the Fat Free kind. I need some breakfast ideas! I have gotten into Greek yogurt, but that seems to pack on the calories.

I need snacks that aren't sweet...or that can be salty and sweet. I'm more of salty type of gal though. For snacks I've been having Special K Sour Cream & Onion cracker chips, Lays light potato chips, or a cup of grapes. I need a variety!!

Picky eater!?? yeahhh...I don't like tomatoes, nuts of any kind, celery, brussel sprouts, asparagus, pretzels, milk (obviously!) and I could probably think of 50 more...

All in all, I think I need more protein in my diet and also something that doesn't cost a whole lot to make and is quick and easy!

Any ideas?? :)

Replies

• s1lence
    s1lence Posts: 493
    Options
    Well since you need breakfast ideas that are cheap with good protein but avoiding nuts and milk have you ever tried to make a breakfast burrito? Putting a link of brown and serve sausage with some scrambled egg and maybe a little cheese into a whole wheat tortilla shell can be filling, fast if you have it pre-made (just throw it in the microwave), and cheap. Good protein too. Besides that you can get lean meats that fill up your burrito. Also pancakes and or waffles with different fruits like raisins or dried cranberries can be a fast breakfast with good calories. Hope you find something you like.
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I'm super picky too and I have oatmeal every morning for breakfast. I rotate flavours so that I don't get sick of it.
  • saraann4
    Options
    I should probably add oatmeal to that list that I don't like. I have heard oatmeal is very filling, but goodness I cannot stand it! Love the smell of it, but hate the texture/flavor.
  • saraann4
    Options
    Well since you need breakfast ideas that are cheap with good protein but avoiding nuts and milk have you ever tried to make a breakfast burrito? Putting a link of brown and serve sausage with some scrambled egg and maybe a little cheese into a whole wheat tortilla shell can be filling, fast if you have it pre-made (just throw it in the microwave), and cheap. Good protein too. Besides that you can get lean meats that fill up your burrito. Also pancakes and or waffles with different fruits like raisins or dried cranberries can be a fast breakfast with good calories. Hope you find something you like.

I think I would love that! I love eggs and sausage, but at this stage that I'm at....I don't think I can put sausage, pancakes, and waffles in my diet. Those seem like things I should avoid. I may try making a breakfast burrito with veggies instead of sausage. OR maybe a leaner version of sausage.
  • pinkita
    pinkita Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I started my weight loss journey on Jan. 15, 2011 and since that time there have been two food items that have always been in my fridge: hard boiled eggs and baby carrots. You mentioned you don't like nuts, does that also apply to nut butters like peanut butter? I ask because I have a friend who hates nuts but loves peanut and almond butter :smile:

There's plenty of options, and you don't always have to eat "breakfast" foods for breakfast. Sometimes I have a chicken drumstick for my morning protein source :smile: You could also try Canadian or turkey bacon. As for milk, I recently switched to unsweetened almond milk because it has a lot fewer calories than nonfat milk.

As for snacks, fruits and veggies are safe in terms of calories; there's also low-fat popcorn, hummus, cheese.. Do you have a Trader Joe's near you? That place is popular with many MFPers because they have a lot of healthy food items.

Hope you find something you like!
  • pinkita
    Options
    Oh and nonfat Greek yogurt isn't high in calories. I get the plan nonfat Fage kind. I often add stuff to it to make it more exciting. I've put in vanilla extract with pumpkin pie spice, sugar-free pudding mix (cheesecake flavor), frozen fruit, etc. It's only 100 calories!
  • saraann4
    Options
    I started my weight loss journey on Jan. 15, 2011 and since that time there have been two food items that have always been in my fridge: hard boiled eggs and baby carrots. You mentioned you don't like nuts, does that also apply to nut butters like peanut butter? I ask because I have a friend who hates nuts but loves peanut and almond butter :smile:

There's plenty of options, and you don't always have to eat "breakfast" foods for breakfast. Sometimes I have a chicken drumstick for my morning protein source :smile: You could also try Canadian or turkey bacon. As for milk, I recently switched to unsweetened almond milk because it has a lot fewer calories than nonfat milk.

As for snacks, fruits and veggies are safe in terms of calories; there's also low-fat popcorn, hummus, cheese.. Do you have a Trader Joe's near you? That place is popular with many MFPers because they have a lot of healthy food items.

Love, love, love Peanut Butter. Do you have any ideas on pairing peanut butter with something healthy? I know a lot of people who like celery with peanut butter, but I hate celery.

I definately need to try the turkey bacon. I don't think I'd like the almond milk just because of the name, but I will give it a shot especially since it has fewer calories.
  • saraann4
    Options
    Oh and nonfat Greek yogurt isn't high in calories. I get the plan nonfat Fage kind. I often add stuff to it to make it more exciting. I've put in vanilla extract with pumpkin pie spice, sugar-free pudding mix (cheesecake flavor), frozen fruit, etc. It's only 100 calories!

Oh that sounds so good! Love the greek yogurt. I will look for that next time I go shopping. I have found a greek yogurt that has blueberries on the bottom with granola which is only about 120 calories, but doesn't satisfy me.
  • pinkita
    Options

Love, love, love Peanut Butter. Do you have any ideas on pairing peanut butter with something healthy? I know a lot of people who like celery with peanut butter, but I hate celery.

I definately need to try the turkey bacon. I don't think I'd like the almond milk just because of the name, but I will give it a shot especially since it has fewer calories.

A lot of people like to dip apple slices in peanut butter. I usually just put it on bread or even just eat it right out of the Tablespoon I use to measure it :smile: The bread I usually have is Sara Lee 45 Calorie & Delightful kind, 2 slices for 90 cals, 2 Tbsp of natural peanut butter with flaxseeds (got it at Target), and a tbsp of pumpkin butter. I found the pumpkin butter at Safeway and it's just 25 cals per tbsp.
  • pinkita
    Options
    Also, if you like to cook (I don't), check out www.skinnytaste.com The woman who runs the site is a Weight Watchers person so she lists all the points values, but luckily she also lists the calories, fat, etc contents of the food. Added bonus: her hobby is photography so she has lovely photos of all the dishes. My brother has made several dishes from that site and they were all good.
  • nickyskins
    nickyskins Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Instant oatmeal with a scoop of peanut butter mixed in is great!
  • USMCConditioning
    Options
    1-2 hard boiled eggs are perfect pre workout.
    also, fresh fruit smoothie's are an excellent breakfast.
    Oatmeal mixed in with some berries. :D
  • Kattarra
    Kattarra Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    It's possible to learn to like certain foods also. Just like when we are introducing our children to new foods it can take several attempts to get them to eat it, adults can be the same way. I've learned to like yogurt, asparagus, strawberries, tomatoes and many other foods just by trying them over and over again.
  • judybrim
    judybrim Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you like eggs. There are lots of things to do with them! Also smoothies are great for breakfast. You can put anything in them that you want. Google for recipe ideas. I've used apples, bananas, pears, kiwis, spinach, celery, sweet potatoe, berries. The list goes on. I usually include cheese in my breakfast, too. Hope these might help out! Keep asking and searching. You'll find good options for you! Great job being on the journey to healthy living! Keep it up! :D
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I should probably add oatmeal to that list that I don't like. I have heard oatmeal is very filling, but goodness I cannot stand it! Love the smell of it, but hate the texture/flavor.

Have you tried steel cut oats or just the flattened oat flakes (all instant oatmeals, Quaker quick oats, etc.)? If you haven't, first thing you'll notice is the oat kernel is simply cut in half instead of steamed and rolled flat into a flake. Takes longer to make, I cook mine for 12-13 minutes and the kernels are plenty chewy then (not a paste). The flavor is a little different than what you're used to too.

Aside from that, eggs. 70 calories for a whole egg isn't bad. Chobani and Fage greek yogurt run 170 calories for the 0% (non-fat) versions and are heavy in protein.

veggies and hummus or veggies and/or toasted pita bread (or naan) with tzatziki is a personal favorite snack.
  • Donnacoach
    Donnacoach Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Eggs are a great breakfast. I eat banana's with peanut butter a lot for breakfast too.
  • cwilhelm40
    Options
    toasted bagel with peanut butter?
  • judybrim
    judybrim Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Mmmm, sorry I fogot to mention something I've tried lately and really love! I'm not a big cereal eater, but I've put applesauce in my Rice Krispies and add fruit like grapes, slice banana, apples, etc. I'm not a big milk drinker either. Though once in awhile I add chocolate milk to my cereal! I kind of like that! Good luck again! :D
  • w_i_n_d_y
    w_i_n_d_y Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Fellow picky eater here....

I love Nutri-grain waffles with a touch of butter. They are a little healthier and lower carbs then regular waffles and taste great.
    Scarmbled eggs
    Peanut butter.

For snacks I like cheese, almonds, sugar-free jello, rice cakes.

I know that's not much help, lol.
  • havetubawilltravel
    havetubawilltravel Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Bagel thins or half an english muffin, spread with peanut butter or lowfat cream cheese, or (my favorite) ham salad or anything else spreadable (like hummus!). Think outside the box. Nuke a turkey bratwurst in the microwave for 50 seconds, and roll it in a whole-wheat tortilla.