Depressed and irritated... Great mix!

Options
I've been in a depressive episode for a while now. Lately, I just don't want to eat or to workout.... I'm just existing! I hate when it gets this way and I'm on medication but it only does so much..... I used to be able to find my happy place but that hasn't happened in a couple weeks. Does anyone else experience this? If so, what do you do to help yourself out of it?

Replies

• karylee44
    karylee44 Posts: 892
    Options
    sometimes you just have to force yourself to go out for a walk, or exercise.. i always feel better when i do that.. its just getting out the door that is the hard part...
  • michellebd1980
    Options
    I agree.... .That's been my problem is that I'm exhausted from forcing myself to do things but I'm gonna try anyway because there has to be light at the end of the tunnel....
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I agree.... .That's been my problem is that I'm exhausted from forcing myself to do things but I'm gonna try anyway because there has to be light at the end of the tunnel....

Try watching people being stupid on youtube. Seriously, laughter is the best stress reliever. I read about a study that found people actually worked more efficiently after watching something funny.
  • freezerburn2012
    freezerburn2012 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    sometimes you just have to force yourself to go out for a walk, or exercise.. i always feel better when i do that.. its just getting out the door that is the hard part...

^^This.

The hardest part, sometimes, is just getting my *kitten* out the door. When I'm struggling to get out there, telling myself that I only need to do 10 minutes will help and I always end up going out there for longer than 10. I was really struggling with the darkness for a long time and then (when I was mad at someone one day and feeling fired up) I made a commitment to, at the very least, go for a 15 minute walk every day. This has helped me out of that sad, sad place and today was my 45th day of consecutive activity.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options

Try watching people being stupid on youtube. Seriously, laughter is the best stress reliever. I read about a study that found people actually worked more efficiently after watching something funny.

If you need a suggestion for funny **** to watch on youtube, I suggest Jenna Marbles. Seriously, this woman will make you feel better! She's like magic! ;)
  • sfoster3171982
    sfoster3171982 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I have been feeling like this lately because I am hitting on a year and onl lost 35 lbs and I wanted to lose more. I decided that in April I want to hit the ground running and b as active as I can be. It's hard cause I work nights and take care of my daughter (2) during the day. It's a struggle but I proposed to eat as clean as possible and to work out as hard as I can. I don't get to everyday but when I do I make it count.

I keep trying to tell myself this is not easy at all but I need to stick to it for the person it affects the most ME and keep doing it for the person in my life it benefits my daughter cause she will have her mom around a lot longer.

You can do it
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options

If you need a suggestion for funny **** to watch on youtube, I suggest Jenna Marbles. Seriously, this woman will make you feel better! She's like magic! ;)

haah watch her "how diets work" its very appropriate
  • Oo_BrookeNicole_oO
    Options

I agree with this. She always cheers me up! Strangely, I've even watched her videos while working out.
  • JMarigold
    JMarigold Posts: 232 Member
    Options

^^This.

The hardest part, sometimes, is just getting my *kitten* out the door. When I'm struggling to get out there, telling myself that I only need to do 10 minutes will help and I always end up going out there for longer than 10. I was really struggling with the darkness for a long time and then (when I was mad at someone one day and feeling fired up) I made a commitment to, at the very least, go for a 15 minute walk every day. This has helped me out of that sad, sad place and today was my 45th day of consecutive activity.

I agree with this!!! Been struggling with the mood issues myself this past couple weeks.

Also just as a side note . . . if you've been sticking to very low calories for a while it can affect your energy levels.
  • bigredhearts
    Options
    are you getting enough vitamins? lack of certain b vits and vit d can cause serious depressive symptoms. i literally cured myself of my depression just by tanning and taking vit b... all because the meds they gave me never helped. then i did some research online and voila, there was evidence AND not to mention a anti depressive which was practically concentrated vit b!!! maybe try a vit b complex and vit d. believe me when i tell you, it helps!
  • michellebd1980
    Options
    Hey all, thanks for the comments and give suggestions! I'm feeling a little better knowing of new things to try and also knowing I'm not alone in dealing with depression. I appreciate your support! Thanks again!
  • lorro
    lorro Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Where I live they would recommend cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) too as you are not getting a full response to medication. If you are interested in this then you may want to try self help initially and ask for one to one treatment if you still feel bad. Here is a link to a good, free course: http://www.cci.health.wa.gov.au/resources/infopax.cfm?Info_ID=37

As karylee said, exercise helps a lot, in fact it's been shown in trials to be as effective as medication. If motivation stops you from doing it, I recommend scheduling a time daily to do it and then using the thought challenge approach described in the course on the thought preventling you from getting out (eg. "I can't do it" or "there's no point").

If the above doesn't appeal then please go back to your doctor as there may be other medication options. Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • Amy_Lee_2012
    Amy_Lee_2012 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I've been dealing with depression on and off my entire life. I've been medicated since Jan. 2011. I was doing well until October of last year when some personal matters hit me hard. Since Then, I have my moments- and some days I just want to stay in bed and give up. But, then I look at how far I've come since then and force myself to get up, stay active and eat right.

It's hard, but really the only thing you can do is force yourself to keep with the positive things. I agree- laughter helps a lot. I watch a lot of funny clips on youtube and it helps my mood.
    I have to say, working out really helps. This is why I force myself to do it, even on days I don't want to. I instantly feel better, once I have completed a workout.
    Also, I make sure to get tons of sleep. Lack of sleep greatly effects my emotions and I find I am more depressed and sad on days when I haven't gotten much sleep.
  • michellebd1980
    Options
    CBT and DBT are two therapies I have tried. Currently I am getting back into DBT (Dialectical Behavior Therapy) and I also do one on one therapy, I just have been avoiding going for a while for personal reasons. I have an appointment for next Thursday, so I will be going and talking about all this.
  • lorro
    lorro Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    CBT and DBT are two therapies I have tried. Currently I am getting back into DBT (Dialectical Behavior Therapy) and I also do one on one therapy, I just have been avoiding going for a while for personal reasons. I have an appointment for next Thursday, so I will be going and talking about all this.

That's great! DBT is really good too, hope you find it helpful this time around :smile:
  • Lissakaye81
    Lissakaye81 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    are you on low-carb? both can be side effects for some people
  • kmshred
    kmshred Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    it's all in the power of your mind!!!!
  • princessruthiebelle
    princessruthiebelle Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    do something you love to cheer yourself up!! visit a friend or treat yourself to something, even if its just a magazine or a new note book (which you could use to make a long long list of why you want to go on this weight loss journey very detailed)

or start a blog/ diary i find writing things down helps you loo at what is happening, in black and wite and makes things not seem so bad, plus u could find a new blogging hobby

hope you feel better soon! x
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Watch the hodge twins on youtube. They give out exercise and nutrition advice with a whole lot of humor. Those guys are funny.
  • ChantalD75
    ChantalD75 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    are you getting enough vitamins? lack of certain b vits and vit d can cause serious depressive symptoms. i literally cured myself of my depression just by tanning and taking vit b... all because the meds they gave me never helped. then i did some research online and voila, there was evidence AND not to mention a anti depressive which was practically concentrated vit b!!! maybe try a vit b complex and vit d. believe me when i tell you, it helps!

I agree I do the same and I take a fish oil as well that helps me alot.