Zoloft...Does it make you gain?

Options
Has anyone had this experience? Taking Zoloft making you fatter?

Replies

• jnuttsing
    Options
    Has anyone had this experience? Taking Zoloft making you fatter?
  • JAMINJESS
    Options
    I HAVENT USED ZOLOFT BUT I WAS ON ELAVIL AND I COULD NOT SHED THE WEIGHT I DID SOME RESEARCH ON IT AND ITS KNOWN TO SLOW YOUR METABOLISM DOWN ALONG WITH OTHER ANTI DEPRESSANTS AS SOON AS I GOT OFF THEM I SHED FIVE POUNDS I WAS TAKING MINE FOR
    FIBROMYALGIA. DO A GOOGLE SEARCH ON ITS SIDE AFFECTS AND TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR.
    LOL.. HOPE THIS HELPS
  • catlover
    catlover Posts: 389
    Options
    I used zoloft when my husband and I seperated about 7 years ago. I was severely depressed for 10 months before going on it and couldn't eat or sleep. I did not lose weight as my body seemed to know I was in trouble and I stayed a steady weight for that year. When I started the meds, I also started going to the gym, doing gardening, cleaning house, taking walks with my daughter, riding my bike, plus I started a very active job with kids that summer. I do not recall gaining weight while on it, but I did not like some of the side effects and I went off of it 6 months later.
  • frithir
    frithir Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Based on what clients had reported to me, unfortunately yes, Zoloft does often have the tendency to put weight on you. One reason may be that it tends to make you retain water and another is that it tends to give you 'the munchies', which a lot of the medications in that particular class do.
  • melathon
    melathon Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    YES, YES, YES, it does. I gained 30 pounds! I quit taking it cold turkey just under a year ago and taking the weight off was really hard; that's why I'm here and this program is finally working.

My doctor told me when I started that it would make me "crave carbs" and I might gain weight. I thought, "oh, surely I'll have the will to not give in to the carb cravings," but 30 pounds later, there I was!

It's really a personal decision between you and your doctor, though - do the benefits of the medicine outweigh (no pun intended!) the side effects?

Good luck.
  • KimmiLynn4
    Options
    My doctor had told me that I had to watch what I ate while I was on it, but I shouldn't gain any weight. Surprise, surprise, after 1 year, I gained 30 pounds. I'm off it now, and I'm trying to lose the weight. At the time, it was the right medicine for me, but I've been doing okay without it. Losing the weight is hard, but I'm determined to see this through. Good luck!
  • Patwin55
    Patwin55 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    If you need it, TAKE it. DO NOT go off any antidepressant without your doctor's knowledge and approval. After years on Zoloft I suddenly became suicidal and had to be switched to a different medication, so don't putz around with this stuff! Weight loss can be managed in other ways than avoiding a necessary medication. Please, everyone! BOTH physical and mental health are important! Talk with your doctor. That's what he or she is there for. Remember, YOU pay HIM (or her.)
  • dmflynt
    dmflynt Posts: 196
    Options
    I found that it does cause some weight gain -- for me it was only 5-10 lbs. My doctor INSISTED it wasn't the cause of the weight gain, but when I was ready to stop taking it the weight fell off. I don't think that was a coincidence!

That being said.....take it if you need it! :flowerforyou:
  • skinnydreams
    skinnydreams Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    You bet! Unfortunately I gained and gained on that pill, I'm on Celexa now and it doesn't seem as bad, at least I'm able to lose weight again!!!
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Ok, I will start by saying I have not taken it or similiar meds but I know at least two people who have, my cousin took it after losing both parents in 13 months time. She has never been a great eatter and has always had a weight problem and she said the zoloft made her feel hazy and lazy and so she quit exercising all together and put on almost 40 lbs. She, however, has been off the zoloft for over 2 years and hasn't lost a single lb.

A friend of mine took it and drastically lost weight, but she was going through a divorce and most of her consumption was vodka, not a recommended beverage with zoloft.

Another took zoloft after the birth of her 5th child and she did not gain any weight but she too always seemed to be in a fog, the way she described it to me was that she felt like crying all the time but she was not able to cry.

You need to make the decision that is best for you and what you are dealing with emotionally right now. Exercise is a proven stress buster and prevents depression. If you start the zoloft and gain weight is that only going to make it worse for you or do the other issues out weigh (no pun intended) the possiblity of a few extra pounds.
  • tamari
    Options
    I have panic disorder and was put on Paxil 5 years ago and I put on 70lbs in 5 months!!!!! No matter what I did I couldn't lose anything but I had to take the medicine. Then in May 2007 I got a new dr. and she convinced me to try a different med, Effexer and I have lost over 60lbs to date with just sensible eating and exercise. I think that was enough to prove it was the paxil. Everyone reacts diferently to these drugs. Try the Zoloft and if in 4 months you think it has made you gain weight talk to your Dr. about trying a different one. Good luck!!!
  • bstarm
    bstarm Posts: 14
    Options
    I HAVE BEEN ON ZOLOFT AND MANY MEDS IN BETWEEN...I AM BIPOLAR....AND YES IT MADE ME GAIN WEIGHT...THAT AND TWO OTHER MEDS PUT 100 POUNDS ON ME. ONCE I STOPPED TAKING THOSE I LITERALLY DROPPED 50 POUNDS IN A WEEK... IT'S BEEN A LITTLE OVER 2 YRS SINCE I LOST THE OTHER ME (THAT WOULD BE 150LBS) AND I AM STILL TRYING TO LOSE THAT LAST 15.....GOOD LUCK I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE GOING THROUGH 1:flowerforyou: