Vegans - what do you eat?!

Options

Replies

• AMorganNJ
    AMorganNJ Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I´m vegan who eat fish, seafood and eggs so not a 100% one. You have to have balanced diet, not food substitutions, it will be better for you to look on some vegan sites. You can find much very yummy and healthy recipes on web:

http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/
    http://bittersweetblog.wordpress.com/
    http://veganyumyum.com/
    http://healthyblenderrecipes.com/

It is only couple of my favorite sites.

And about my favourite food? Love Porridge for breakfast, with honey or fruit and nuts or sometimes some baked vegan goodies. I´m not big fun of tofu and soya products, but it is good for you it has low calories and vitamins what you need, so i put them to my diet, but i love beans (soup, saute, salads), vegan bean chilli is my favourite one, brocolli, vegetable saute, many diferent kinds of soup. I choose bigger lunch than have only salad or something smaller for dinner. Look to my food diary for inspiration and feel free to add me to friends list.

I love fatfreevegan! One of my favorites.
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I am a meat eater but I love to always try new things. My all time favorite blog is Chocolate-Covered Katie. This is a vegan website with primarily desserts and breakfast recipes but she does have a list of actual meal recipes too. I make something from her site almost every single day and sometimes several times a day.:laugh:

Definitely read her about page. She is someone who loves desserts but not super sugary ones. She gets flack for how thin she is but she explains how its her metabolism and how through eating really healthy actually helped her gain 10lbs and keep it on. I can't say enough great things about her blog! Another blogger I check in with time to time is Bake and Destroy who is also Vegan.

Good luck with turning Vegan! I enjoy eating meat but you will never know if its for you unless you try. Worse case you find out you don't want to continue the lifestyle and you can go Vegetarian or back to eating meat.:flowerforyou:
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Vegan breakfast sandwich

1oz vegan cheddar ( I use Follow Your Heart brand )
    3oz extra firm tofu sliced into thin slices
    1 tablespoon earth balance buttery spread (1 tsp for frying, 2 for the English muffins)
    Vegan breakfast sausage pattie, or vegan bacon ( I use morning star maple breakfast patties)
    Ezekiel sprouted grain English muffin

1. Press the tofu so that all the excess moisture is removed and fry in a skillet with 1 tsp earth balance until the tofu shrinks a bit and is a little crispy.

2. Toast the English muffin in a toaster and put 1 tsp earth balance on both halves of them and then put the vegan cheese evenly on both halves. Then put it under the broiler until the cheese is meaty and bubbly.

3. Cook the breakfast patties according to the package directions

4. Put the sausage and sliced tofu on the English muffin and enjoy!

Serves 1 and is 440 cals. Without the sausage it is 360 cals
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Lol i'm sorry but I just woke up and though this thread said "Vaginas - What do you all eat?"
    I spit coffee all over my computer!

Um...I think vegans eat plants and stuff!
    Google it!

I'm just joing around!

Happy Easter
    Passover
    Or
    Original Zombie Day

Whatever you call it enjoy your day!

=D
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    one thing to remember is don't think of things as "substitutions" for meat or dairy. try to enjoy food for its own characteristics.

I am not a vegan, but I eat vegan often. for instance for breakfast, I might have:

oatmeal with raisins or cranberries & honey (sorry: I just read that you're not looking for oatmeal, heh!)
    homemade granola w/banana
    an apple & peanut butter
    green smoothie
    or toast and jam with coffee (you can use almond milk in coffee.. it's delicious)

for lunch /dinner I might have:

spaghetti with mushrooms
    vegetable spring rolls
    vegetable lo mein
    soup & toast
    hummus and falafel w/ parsley salad
    quinoa & lentils (either hot or as a cold salad with crisp onions)

I don't think this is too "far out" as far as food goes, you know? maybe it is, but I think it's pretty much standard fare.
  • AMorganNJ
    AMorganNJ Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Also important, as previously mentioned, was a good B12 or a multivitamin for vegans. Deva makes a nice selection. Also, flax seed or chia seeds should be added to your foods to get in the important omegas.
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    Lol i'm sorry but I just woke up and though this thread said "Vaginas - What do you all eat?"

Google it!

I'm just joing around!

Happy Easter
    Passover
    Or
    Original Zombie Day

=D

:laugh:

Hope your computer survives the coffee...and thanks for your not-so-helpful "google it!" response.

Just kidding...I've actually already consulted the all-knowing google several times! :blushing:
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    TBH I love Silverstones Kind diet but i refuse to chew up my food for my kids!
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    "I´m vegan who eat fish, seafood and eggs so not a 100% one".

Errr so not really vegan at all then!

I'm happy to eat vegetarian most of the time. I have vegan friends who stay sometimes and I've always thought the compromises are too far for me to go. Doesn't help that a lot of the substitutes are additive laden and highly processed. I can't say I've ever really had a very enjoyable meal at theirs in return either - so many flavourings and ingredients become impossible. Cheese is always going to be my downfall!

Still, hats off to those have the creatitivity and willpower.

The only recipe I've got to contribute is for an oven-baked risotto with pinenuts and mushrooms, which works for vegans if I leave off the grated cheese and breadcrumb topping I'd normally use.
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options

I'm happy to eat vegetarian most of the time. I have vegan friends who stay sometimes and I've always thought the compromises are too far for me to go. Doesn't help that a lot of the substitutes are additive laden and highly processed. I can't say I've ever really had a very enjoyable meal at theirs in return either - so many flavourings and ingredients become impossible. Cheese is always going to be my downfall!

The only recipe I've got to contribute is for an oven-baked risotto with pinenuts and mushrooms, which works for vegans if I leave off the grated cheese and breadcrumb topping I'd normally use.

This is why I'm not labeling myself as vegetarian, vegan, or whatever...If I want meat or cheese, I'm going to eat it...if I want eggs, you better believe I'll get some...especially if bacon is involved...we just want to get away from depending on meat/animal products and definitely get away from all the processed crap.
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options

Google it!

I'm just joing around!

Happy Easter
    Passover
    Or
    Original Zombie Day

=D

I just squirted iced tea out of my nose after reading that. LOL!!
  • jaimemariel
    jaimemariel Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Come join us in the vegan group! We have a daily thread on whats for dinner, gives you some good ideas! And FYI Tofu and meat subs are rarely a part of it.

This week on my meal plan are black bean enchiladas, chili, salad night, split pea soup (for easter), lettuce wraps, pancit. We eat a lot of ethnic food in my house.

Ps, I'm not vegan, my spouse is. I'm a lactose intolerant vegetarian who doesn't like eggs.
  • RachelT14
    RachelT14 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Vegan breakfast sandwich

1oz vegan cheddar ( I use Follow Your Heart brand )
    3oz extra firm tofu sliced into thin slices
    1 tablespoon earth balance buttery spread (1 tsp for frying, 2 for the English muffins)
    Vegan breakfast sausage pattie, or vegan bacon ( I use morning star maple breakfast patties)
    Ezekiel sprouted grain English muffin

1. Press the tofu so that all the excess moisture is removed and fry in a skillet with 1 tsp earth balance until the tofu shrinks a bit and is a little crispy.

2. Toast the English muffin in a toaster and put 1 tsp earth balance on both halves of them and then put the vegan cheese evenly on both halves. Then put it under the broiler until the cheese is meaty and bubbly.

3. Cook the breakfast patties according to the package directions

4. Put the sausage and sliced tofu on the English muffin and enjoy!

Serves 1 and is 440 cals. Without the sausage it is 360 cals
    Yum that sounds really good, i will be trying that this week with some tofu i will have left over from another meal
  • sisierra
    sisierra Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I've never done vegan, but Honey Nut Cheerios and Silk milk (i think its almond "milk") are absoluetly wonderful!
  • YarnAndWhiskey
    YarnAndWhiskey Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've been vegetarian before and my girlfriend is a conditional vegetarian (she won't cook meat for herself but if someone else is making dinner she will eat it) and the biggest thing for me when I was eating that way was getting away from the "replacement" mentality (i.e. what do I replace meat with in this recipe). It's great to rehab family recipes and such using that thinking, but in the long run it's just going to remind you what you have cut out of your diet, which in my experience just makes you want it more. Two of my favorite cookbooks from that period (and ones I still use pretty regularly) are "Fresh From the Vegetarian Slow-Cooker" and "Veganomicon". The slow-cooker book is great for me as I don't get home until 11:30p when I work so having dinner ready for me when I get there is always nice. The Veganomicon is a really great everyday book that features really delicious food that also happens to be vegan, so you never feel like you are compromising on the flavor by "removing" an animal protein. Good luck with the diet shift and I hope it works out for you!
  • littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I was a vegetarian for awhile. I've the Vegan Planet cookbook that had some interesting stuff.

My go to food was generally some combination of beans tomatoes and rice with different spices.

If you are going vegan, make sure you supplement your diet with enriched foods and/or vitamins.
    B12 is an important one and some others.

Oh and...

BACON!!!!

(that's what broke my vegetarian back)

I love bacon...*sigh*

Bacon was always my favourite food. And then one day (while I was still a meat eater) we bought 50% less sodium bacon. And I realized, it is not the bacon per se that I like, but the seasoning. (Come on, anyone who says that 50% less sodium bacon is like regular bacon must not have any tastebuds! It's just thinly sliced pork with fat on it.) Luckily, there are bacon substitutes for vegetarians that have the exact same seasoning as regular bacon. So, if it is the bacon you like (ie. the seasoning), and not the pork (ie. the meat itself), then you should have no trouble filling in those bacon cravings. And by the way, I am not a huge fan of fake meat, but I do looooove fake bacon!

Edit: And fake bacon--at least my brand Yves--might not look exactly like real bacon, but it DOES taste like it, IMO.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options

This is why I'm not labeling myself as vegetarian, vegan, or whatever...If I want meat or cheese, I'm going to eat it...if I want eggs, you better believe I'll get some...especially if bacon is involved...we just want to get away from depending on meat/animal products and definitely get away from all the processed crap.

And that's why when you said you are trying to follow a primarily plant-based diet, it was and will be much appreciated.
  • naveej
    naveej Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    bump for veg ideas
  • taem
    taem Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I would recommend studying and reading John McDougall's starch based diet. You can find him on YouTube and his own web site, http://www.drmcdougall.com/. He has a couple of DVD's where you can see his wife show how to cook, I recommend those as those DVD's will help with the transition. You can even find a 7 day meal plan complete with recipes.

If you read the Fire Engine book, then you know that Jeff Novick helps out in the seminars and you will see Jeff Novick on McDougall's site.

I don't recommend tofu, because it is over 50% fat, but I do recommend starches because they are cholesterol free, low-fat, low sodium, low sugar, nutritious and it gives you the energy (calories) you need to get on with the day. It is not a fast losing diet but it is a good way to lose the weight without eating salads all the time. Now, saying that, you do need your veggies but a meal centered around starches and veggies is the perfect combination. If you want to lose the weight, you eat more veggies than starches combined with exercise, I would recommend playing around with those two (starchy foods and veggies).

Because I am trying to lose 25 lbs quickly, I am eating salads and jogging. However, I do plan on going back to my starches for maintenance. Starches include potato, oatmeal (grains), rice, beans, corn, squash, pumpkin, more examples on McDougall's web site.
  • mohanj
    mohanj Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I am a vegetarian though not Vegan. I have never eaten meat in my life and don't like eggs. I don't want to be Vegan as I like to keep milk, Yogurt, Cheese in my diet. I cook Indian, Mexican, Italian and Mediterranean food. I have my own recipe blog which I have created for my kids. It is still in work but don't mind sharing it with you. Right now most of the recipes are Indian. I suggest you read Alicia Silverstone 'The Kind Diet book' in which she explains the health benefits and good recipes etc., which you are looking for. Hope it helps.