I need help with US measurements

Options
Hi

I am reletivly new to the US (3 month) and I have some probs usings the measurement of cups.

For example.

How much lbs / gram is a cup of cooked rice?

Thanks, Daniela

Replies

• DaniUSA
    Options
    Hi

I am reletivly new to the US (3 month) and I have some probs usings the measurement of cups.

For example.

Thanks, Daniela
  • NurseBarb
    NurseBarb Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Dani,

You can find free converters online. But for doing things at your house you will need to go to a plae like Walmart or Bed, Bath and Beyond and buy yourself a set of measuring cups. They are very standard and can be found in many places here in the US. You should also grab a set of measuring spoons while your at it. If you have any other questions just drop me a message!

Casta
  • mydogmesa2
    mydogmesa2 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    A "cup" of something will always weigh something different depending on what you are weighing. One cup of water however is 8oz. But fluid ounces are different than regular ounces. Confusing I know, so i would just use the "cup" measurment when counting calories becauce most serving sizes are given in that format. We rarely ever use pounds to "weigh" foods. Mainly liquids. If your wondering how to weigh meats and such I would buy a food scale. You can find them at most grocery stores: and are fairly inexpensive. Around $5-$10
    HTH
    Good Luck
  • DaniUSA
    Options
    Thanks...good advice..

but I now realize that I also can use gram in mfp.

We have a measuring cup at the house where I stay BUUUUUUUT
    its very small.

If I enter 1 cup of cooked rice in MFP it says something about 360cal.

If I enter 200g it says only 260cal.

So I think a cup would be 260g or something.
    That would NEVER fit in our measuring cup

Thats why I asked.

Thanks anyways
    Dani
  • mydogmesa2
    mydogmesa2 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    FYI My scale says 200g is roughly 7 oz :happy:
  • rheston
    rheston Posts: 638
    Options
    Here's a site you can use that provides you a grams to ounces conversion tool.

http://gourmetsleuth.com/gram_calc.htm

Hope it helps.
  • DaniUSA
    Options
    I used this site http://gourmetsleuth.com/cookingconversions.asp?Action=find for converting 1 cup of cooked rice into gram

It results in

Your answer is: 1 cup (US) = 174 grams

and 169cal

So why is it 360cal if I enter 1 cup rice cooked here into MFP

So even Cup and Cup isnt the same if its the same food..

you should learn the metric system :ohwell:
  • tbirdl2008
    Options
    dani bist du deutsch?
  • flachix
    flachix Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Hi

For example.

Thanks, Daniela

US measurements are bunches of fun to learn.:laugh: conversion from grams to US standards are even harder. :noway: but there are roughly 28 grams in an ounce. and 8 oz in a cup and 16oz in a pound. all liquid measures. because here we have both liquid and dry measures. easy so far, right? :wink:
    If you want to cook with US measures, its easiest to visit a nice shop and pick up a set of liquid and dry measures. the liquid ones usually have a little spout and the dry don't. no sarcasm intended, its really how I tell):embarassed:

If you want to measure accurately as chef's do, buy a scale at the local gourmet cooking store. it offers both. US and metric.
    sorry I couldn't be more help. just wanted you to know we do understand how frustrating it can be.