What to do for a 5k

Options
There is a 5k in the beginning of June and I'd like to seeing I can train for it and get my last few pounds off. What are good ways to train and what should I be eating to make sure I'm doing this correct enough to give myself a good chance of finishing on a run and not walking!!

Replies

• chachadiva150
    chachadiva150 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
  • goal30Lori
    goal30Lori Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I recommend the couch to 5k program, like the previous poster linked to... If you have an ipod/iphone etc, I really liked the podcasts by Robert Ullrey to follow along to, it gives run walk cues and takes about 9 weeks to get up to running for 30 consecutive minutes. It's what I used to get started, and I'm completely addicted to running now! My first half marathon is in about 4 weeks! :)
  • kazza2cats
    kazza2cats Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Start by a walk jog walk and build it up slowly. If your legs ache the next day just rest and go again the day after. You will soon be able to run the full 5K without any walking.
  • robpett2001
    robpett2001 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Yes, I can't say enough about how great C25K is! There are several programs out there, and here is the one I used:

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx

C25K is a series of podcasts you can download to your MP3 player, and it takes you from walking for 30 minutes three times a week, and gradually mixes in a little running, so that after nine or ten weeks, you're running for 30 minutes non-stop -- roughly equivalent to a 5K. I couldn't run for more than a minute at a time when I started, but C25K made this non-runner into a runner!

There is a Couch to 5K group here on MFP, too.

Best wishes!
  • FatUncleRob
    FatUncleRob Posts: 341
    Options
    As chachadiva150 suggested, the Couch to 5 K is great program and you have time to complete it before your race.

My main advice would be to make sure you have a good pair of running shoes, take it slowly at the beginning and try to walk a mile or two on your "rest days" so that you don't stiffen up.

As for what to eat, running a 5K is not like running a marathon, you don't really need to worry about "carb loading". I usually like to run on a fairly empty stomach. It is important to be well hydrated but, depending on race day weather/ temperatures, you probably won't need to carry water (although you can, of course, if it makes you feel better.

Lastly, just make sure that you enjoy yourself. No need to push too hard and make it a miserable experience! :smile:

Good luck!
  • oilphins
    oilphins Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Hi butterfly,
    I've been running half marathons for about three years now and it really depends on how you are physically. I personally can run a half marathon the whole way now, but at first I would have to stop about three times along the way.You have to start slow especially if you don't normally do alot of cardio. For people not use to running, the best way is to jog for about 2-3 minutes, and then walk for about 3-4 minutes, then jog again 2-3 and so forth. If you can go longer jogging, then that's even better. My wife started that way and now she's up to about 8-10 minutes without stopping. A 5 k run is still a pretty good run so don't go farther than you can. Make sure you stretch you hamstrings and quads really well before a run because the most popular muscle that you can pull in a run is you quad. ( It's the muscle on top of your thigh in case you weren't sure) As for eating, about 2-3 days before you do your run, up your carbs alot because your going to need as much energy as you can get for a long run. fast digesting carbs are the best like pasta or baked potatoes. I find if I eat a banana about 30 minutes before I run, it really helps my endurance. Hope this helps you a little.
  • oilphins
    oilphins Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Hi butterfly,
    Fat uncle Rob actually made a good point about the 5 k run. If you think your going to be walking most of the way, you probably won't need too many carbs before it. But if you think can jog most of it, then upping your carbs will still help.
  • JSheehy1965
    JSheehy1965 Posts: 404
    Options
    C25K.com Couch to 5K - briilant program. Am on Week 3
  • butterfly0819
    Options
    Yes, I can't say enough about how great C25K is! There are several programs out there, and here is the one I used:

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx

C25K is a series of podcasts you can download to your MP3 player, and it takes you from walking for 30 minutes three times a week, and gradually mixes in a little running, so that after nine or ten weeks, you're running for 30 minutes non-stop -- roughly equivalent to a 5K. I couldn't run for more than a minute at a time when I started, but C25K made this non-runner into a runner!

There is a Couch to 5K group here on MFP, too.

Best wishes!
    Are you able to join the group at any time? Maybe that would help :)
  • Luckybarc
    Luckybarc Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    bump